Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 8:15 am

AlbusSeverus wrote:
I think religious beliefs are more common with those with classic autism than those with aspergers.

I was thinking about this last night as well, but didn't want to say it for lack of backup information. Now that you've said it though, I do agree that this at least seems to be the case.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 8:18 am

dancinonwater wrote:
First i must say that i am not trying to be rude, i am just trying to be helpful by giving the OP information.

I never said you were being rude.

dancinonwater wrote:
The reason that you may not be getting many responses is that few autistics are religious.

This is still a generalization. You have no idea the percentages of religious vs. non-religious autistic people, so you do not know whether or not "few autistics are religious". Perhaps in your experience, that is what you have observed. THAT would be a less biased way of stating it. Of the spectrumites I know, the majority ARE religious. Unless a census has been done, you have no idea the ratios of religious vs. non, so you should not be stating that as though it is fact!

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 8:21 am

sfreyj wrote:
The important thing is not to force your beliefs on your child.

Parents have the right to raise children in their religion, providing their religion is not harmful or abusive. The kid will make his own decisions when he is older, but the OP still has a right to raise him to believe what he or she feels to be the truth.

sfreyj
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2011, 9:43 am

littlelily613 wrote:
sfreyj wrote:

Parents have the right to raise children in their religion, providing their religion is not harmful or abusive. The kid will make his own decisions when he is older, but the OP still has a right to raise him to believe what he or she feels to be the truth.

From the Universal Declaration of Human Rights: 'Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his [sic] religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his [sic] religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.'

I agree that the OP does have the right to share their beliefs with their child, but they do not have the right to force it on them. I know the OP never said this was their intention, but I should hope it isn't. Doing so is a violation of this human right.

For example, you shouldn't punish your child for not believing in God, or force them to go to Sunday school/bible camp to 'cure' them.

Again, I know the OP never explicitly said this was their intention. I am just clarifying.

Last edited by sfreyj on 05 Sep 2011, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 9:56 am

littlelily613 wrote:
sfreyj wrote:

Some would argue that the submission of one's mind and conscience to a "higher power" is inherently harmful.

ruveyn

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 11:35 am

I'm a Christian with moderate-ish autism. I recently wrote/published a book for parents about raising a child with autism, and one of the sections deals with faith. PM me if you want the link to my book. It answers some of the questions you asked.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 4:20 pm

sfreyj wrote:
For example, you shouldn't punish your child for not believing in God, or force them to go to Sunday school/bible camp to 'cure' them.

You should not punish anyone for not sharing a belief--punishment will make them more resentful, not more compliant, IMO. But a parent can force them to go to Sunday school if they so choose to help teach them about what the parent feels is the truth. The child-when they are an adult-will be able to make the decision whether to continue with religious education or not.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 4:21 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Some would argue that the submission of one's mind and conscience to a "higher power" is inherently harmful.

And some would not. It is not for the atheistic minority to declare how ALL children should be raised.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 4:37 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
sfreyj wrote:

You should not punish anyone for not sharing a belief--punishment will make them more resentful, not more compliant, IMO.

Christianity was thrashed out of me at school. It was compulsory to sing hymns and say prayers aloud every morning in assembly or be thrashed by the headmasters cane. I learned to despise Christianity and its hypocrisy. Since then my reasons for rejecting Christianity are founded on logic and science rather than the pain it caused. Christianity is something I now view as irrelevant in my life; it is just superstitious nonsense, the same as other religions.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 5:03 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

And some would not. It is not for the atheistic minority to declare how ALL children should be raised.

Atheists speak or should speak for no one but themselves. I am not aware of an "atheist position" on how you should bring up your kids. The only thing I would say is that we should all bring up our children to respect the property and lives of others who are not harmful.

What is mine is mine and what is yours is yours.

ruveyn

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 7:54 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

Nor is it for anyone to decide what others should believe.

Instead of providing the OP advice on how to convince his/her child of their particular religious beliefs I would suggest letting him believe what he's comfortable with and not try to push a belief on him that he might not be able to truthfully accept.

NextFact
Toucan
Toucan

05 Sep 2011, 8:14 pm

I'm dead serious when I say that you guys need to do some serious digging and research into Christianity and where it really came from. There is a message in the new testament, though symbolic. I am still researching and trying to uncover the whole thing myself, but I wont give any spoilers about what I've discovered so far. The story of Jesus is not literal or factual, it is symbolic. Sadly it is presented in a manner which makes people take it literally, rest assured this is done very deliberately to exploit the population for the benefit of a handful of people at the top of these religious institutions, it's all about power, money, control and greed.

Don't bother looking to any religious organization for spirituality, they have none. Especially any denomination of Christianity, Islam, Judaism and (oh boy) Catholics, they are at the bottom of the dirt.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 8:25 pm

Lecks wrote:
littlelily613 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

Instead of providing the OP advice on how to convince his/her child of their particular religious beliefs I would suggest letting him believe what he's comfortable with and not try to push a belief on him that he might not be able to truthfully accept.

Meaning you want atheists to push their views on kids in the public schools and get the kids to hate people that are of a religious faith.

cave_canem
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2011, 8:38 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Lecks wrote:
littlelily613 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

Meaning you want atheists to push their views on kids in the public schools and get the kids to hate people that are of a religious faith.

That's your definition of "letting someone believe what they're comfortable with?" Or are you just a bigoted, atheist-hating Christian?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2011, 6:24 am

My only suggestion is, just bring your child along to church and Sunday school without any pressure to convert, and faith might just grow on him.
And in regard to the name of your post - the majority of us who call ourselves Christians would hardly classify ourselves as born again.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2011, 6:31 am

Inuyasha wrote:

Most atheists don't have a "view" to push. They simply do not believe in your god. And why should they? There is no evidence for the existence of your god.

ruveyn