Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Sep 2011, 1:42 pm

I have never noticed that walking on your toes was related to aspergers/autism until I looked it up. I have been walking on my toes of years and just thought I was abnormal, or even copying ballerinas at times. But as far back as I can tell... i wasn't. I have a uncanning ability of not using my heel, granted I am better at it now, but I still seem to walk without the use of a heel at times.

In other foot problems I also seem to not bend my knees very often, and seem to hop when i walk, like a kangaroo...

anyone else walk on their toes?

AQ: 36

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 2:11 pm

Only when I go up the stairs.

PeaceFrog
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Sep 2011, 2:12 pm

Glad you mentioned this topic! I've been wondering about this too because my younger brother walks on his toes and we could never figure out why he did it. Took him a long time to learn to stop it. A few years ago he was sort of diagnosed with an undetermined learning disability/neurological disorder. I'm positive that he has some kind of autism spectrum disorder but my mom neglected to follow up on it.

Your Aspie score: 161 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 45

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

07 Sep 2011, 2:31 pm

All the time. That is fascinating. :chin:

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 2:44 pm

I toe walk a lot. It's something I do mostly when I'm happy or extremely frustrated/on overload.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 2:47 pm

Quote:

Only when there's something unpleasant on the floor, such as something wet or sticky.

I heard that toe-walking in autistics is usually a sensory thing - reducing how much of the foot is in contact with the ground.

Toe-walking is also a characteristic of motor conditions such as cerebral palsy. I heard somewhere that the difference is that an autistic kid who toe-walks can walk flat-footed but choses not too, while a CP kid who toe-walks can't bend their foot enough to walk flat-footed. Some CP kids even have surgery on their ankles to loosen their tendons so they can walk more normally.

abyssquick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2011, 3:07 pm

iceveela wrote:

I run barefoot using the ball of my foot and toes, never letting my heels meet the ground. I often toe walked as a kid, but now I only do it on occasion. When I sit, I only allow my ball/toes to touch the ground, never my heels. I get an odd anxious feeling if my entire foot meets the ground at once. In fact, I prefer to have my legs up entirely when sitting, and not contact the ground at all. It seems like an odd compulsion.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 3:08 pm

I sometimes walk on my toes.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 3:28 pm

I walk on my toes most of the time... especially barefoot. I thought I didn't do this when I wear shoes but my mom and I talked about this the other day and she says I walk on my toes even in shoes. I have actually been starting to think that I walk on my toes more than I ever realized. I really don't know why I do though, maybe it could just be a bad habit I picked up when I was a child? I have to say though, walking heal-toe feels wrong.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 3:35 pm

I walk on my toes a lot, but mainly if I am barefoot... which I am a lot (I am not shy about throwing my shoes off in public!). I haven't got a physical problem with my left foot which causes this but I do have dystonia in the right, but that makes me put all the weight on the little toe because my foot is bent inwards :(

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 3:51 pm

I can't walk on my toes - it's uncomfortable. How do you other Aspies do it? :D

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 4:52 pm

I tiptoe when barefoot on hard surfaces like tiles and lino. I go barefoot whenever possible.

The year is still young.

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 5:05 pm

I do and have special orthotics in my shoes in an attempt to make my balance better.
I have difficulty walking on any uneven surface and don't really go outdoors in snow or ice.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

07 Sep 2011, 5:10 pm

I toe walk all the time. I hate what most floors feel like. I do find it easy to walk more typically if it's a cold hard surface (like a stone or linoleum floor on a cold morning). Carpets are the worst.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 5:12 pm

I enjoy walking on my toes, because I can feel my calves that way. I like to balance on my toes like a ballerina. It hurts a little, but still really fun.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 8:53 pm

I don't. My nephew has AS and he does.