Page 3 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 6:58 pm

number2 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
number2 wrote:
I'm totally for legalization sure i can go and buy booze to help me cope with my chronic depression but I know that alcohol is far more harmful then marijuana so I like to stick to marijuana becuase of that. my theory that marijuana is a substance about somewhere as harmful inbetween coffee and beer.

Honestly, it is more likely someone could die from caffine easier than they could die from marijuana. I mean on some of the powerful energy drinks it says 'Do Not Exceed One Can' per day for a reason. I find cannabis to be quite benificial, but the illegal status of it kind of interferes but the cannabis is not what causes that that would be unjust laws against smoking cannabis. at least I think those laws are unjust.

I know caffine is more harmful then marijuana thats why i said coffee i don't think anyone has died from drinking too much coffee becuase there isnt as much caffine as in a red bull.

True it would be kinda hard to overdose on coffee.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 8:50 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
Listen to me already! I already said that I wanted to make it as safe as possible, so don't think that just because I use the word pharmaceutical doesn't mean I will use something that causes liver damage. I don't care what your state thinks is dangerous. Arguments from authority will not convince me whether something is a good idea or not, and the fact remains that smoking it was the only thing I had a problem with, so please don't start talking about edibles like I object to them.

It doesn't take a genius to know that telling people to smoke a burning material as medication IS NOT good medical practice. I already said that the insistence on smoking cannabis sounds fishy because it makes it sound like people use it for recreational purposes.

It will also ineveitably cause lung damage. Particles of partially combusted plant matter, carbon monoxide and tar will be inhaled and that is dangerous. That's true no matter what you smoke from cigarettes to paper bleeding towels.

The point is I don't think the pharmacutical companies should be the ones producing and distributing cannabis in pill format with other chemicals possibly being added to it. It is fine as it grows....and I am pretty sure most in the pharmacutical industry are not very good at gardening.

But that's exactly the kind of wishy-washy all of my enemies are evil kind of argument that people would make against marijuana users or proponents. Tit-for-tat against all pharmaceutical companies is not a suitable reason for anything. Just because something is a pharmaceutical company, doesn't mean it is inherently evil and will add liver-exploding chemicals to every drug they see. It is not fine for smoking even if it was grown.

Sweetleaf wrote:
And we already covered the smoking thing and I agreed that yes smoking is the least safe method of ingestion and you keep bringing that up when I try to move on to edibles so I thought you objected to them as well.
No I didn't! I even said Jamaican cannabis ginger cake by way of a joking approval!

Sweetleaf wrote:
[Also for some the risks associated with smoking it do not outweigh the benifits, so i feel it is fine if they have the option to smoke it but are educated on what the risks are. And personally I think it should be legal in general its no worse than drinking a beer as far as recreational use goes.

And so why not take away all the risks associated with someking and allow delivery by any other system? I am having this argument of 'it's good enough' with someone else in another thread, and not improving something because it's 'good enough' makes as little sense there as it does here. In any case I have never drunk a beer in my life, so making that sort of comparison isn't worth making with a guy who is next to teetotal.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 11:14 am

Gedrene wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
Listen to me already! I already said that I wanted to make it as safe as possible, so don't think that just because I use the word pharmaceutical doesn't mean I will use something that causes liver damage. I don't care what your state thinks is dangerous. Arguments from authority will not convince me whether something is a good idea or not, and the fact remains that smoking it was the only thing I had a problem with, so please don't start talking about edibles like I object to them.

It doesn't take a genius to know that telling people to smoke a burning material as medication IS NOT good medical practice. I already said that the insistence on smoking cannabis sounds fishy because it makes it sound like people use it for recreational purposes.

It will also ineveitably cause lung damage. Particles of partially combusted plant matter, carbon monoxide and tar will be inhaled and that is dangerous. That's true no matter what you smoke from cigarettes to paper bleeding towels.

The point is I don't think the pharmacutical companies should be the ones producing and distributing cannabis in pill format with other chemicals possibly being added to it. It is fine as it grows....and I am pretty sure most in the pharmacutical industry are not very good at gardening.

But that's exactly the kind of wishy-washy all of my enemies are evil kind of argument that people would make against marijuana users or proponents. Tit-for-tat against all pharmaceutical companies is not a suitable reason for anything. Just because something is a pharmaceutical company, doesn't mean it is inherently evil and will add liver-exploding chemicals to every drug they see. It is not fine for smoking even if it was grown.

I did not call anyone evil, but it does not exactly take a genius not to trust the pharmacutical companies. Why should they be the ones to tamper with an already great natural substance? There are people who are actually educated in different strains of marijuana, growing marijuana and all that which is much more useful when it comes to medicinal cannabis....then the pharmacutical companies messing with it and adding other chemicals to it. The pharmacutical companies can stay out of this one their main focus is profit......just look at how they advertise their meds on the t.v, its disgusting...'ohh do you have this issue well you might need to be on this drug.' There is no reason to turn medicinal marijuana over to the pharmacutical companies.

Sweetleaf wrote:
And we already covered the smoking thing and I agreed that yes smoking is the least safe method of ingestion and you keep bringing that up when I try to move on to edibles so I thought you objected to them as well.
No I didn't! I even said Jamaican cannabis ginger cake by way of a joking approval!
Well then I guess I misunderstood, but if there are edibles why is it nessisary to turn medicinal marijuana over to the pharmacutical companies? apparently the natural plant form can be ingested without smoking.

Sweetleaf wrote:
[Also for some the risks associated with smoking it do not outweigh the benifits, so i feel it is fine if they have the option to smoke it but are educated on what the risks are. And personally I think it should be legal in general its no worse than drinking a beer as far as recreational use goes.

And so why not take away all the risks associated with someking and allow delivery by any other system? I am having this argument of 'it's good enough' with someone else in another thread, and not improving something because it's 'good enough' makes as little sense there as it does here. In any case I have never drunk a beer in my life, so making that sort of comparison isn't worth making with a guy who is next to teetotal.

Well it is possible to use another delievery system.......but not everyone wants to use a different method and it should not be forced, especially if they where to legalize recreational use ciggerettes are legal so the well you can smoke ciggerettes but not marijuana would not really work. For medicinal use smoking is not always the best way.......especially if the person has problems with their lung or respitory system or is succeptable to such problems......but so far studies have not shown that the risks of smoking outweigh the benifits of the cannabis for everyone.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 3:32 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Gedrene wrote:

I did not call anyone evil, but it does not exactly take a genius not to trust the pharmacutical companies. Why should they be the ones to tamper with an already great natural substance? There are people who are actually educated in different strains of marijuana, growing marijuana and all that which is much more useful when it comes to medicinal cannabis....then the pharmacutical companies messing with it and adding other chemicals to it. The pharmacutical companies can stay out of this one their main focus is profit......just look at how they advertise their meds on the t.v, its disgusting...'ohh do you have this issue well you might need to be on this drug.' There is no reason to turn medicinal marijuana over to the pharmacutical companies.

That first line contradicts what I just put before it! Pharmaceutical companies are not necessarily evil! Also what does whether something is natural got to do with it? Penicillin is a 'natural' chemical, but that didn't stop pharmaceutical companies from delivering it in a safe form. Furthermore just because of some hearsay about some pharmaceutical company's anti-autism drug, doesn't mean that all pharmaceutical drugs are dangerous. Furthermore advertisments are supposed to make you buy a product. Also can I have an example of this blatantness?

Sweetleaf wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Well then I guess I misunderstood, but if there are edibles why is it nessisary to turn medicinal marijuana over to the pharmacutical companies? apparently the natural plant form can be ingested without smoking.

Well pharmaceutical companies will only sell a product if it makes a profit as with any company. Since marijuana is not liscensed by anyone then you can go out there and make a decent pill if you want, if you can. But my original argument is that pharmaceutical companies aren't necessaily evil.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Well it is possible to use another delievery system.......but not everyone wants to use a different method and it should not be forced, especially if they where to legalize recreational use ciggerettes are legal so the well you can smoke ciggerettes but not marijuana would not really work. For medicinal use smoking is not always the best way.......especially if the person has problems with their lung or respitory system or is succeptable to such problems......but so far studies have not shown that the risks of smoking outweigh the benifits of the cannabis for everyone.

But there are still risks of smoking and that's why I am trying to tell you!
REMOVE THE SMOKING=REMOVE THE NEGATIVES OF SMOKING=BETTER FOR THE USER=BETTER TREATMENT
If there is an alternative that reduces the insufficiency of anything in this world then you should seek it and this is just another example.

Not that I look upon smokers with much respect either. They can tank their lungs as far away from me as possible and we wont mind each other. Not that this effects the original argument that we were debating the use of marijuana extracts for use as medicine.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 3:59 pm

Gedrene wrote:

That first line contradicts what I just put before it! Pharmaceutical companies are not necessarily evil! Also what does whether something is natural got to do with it? Penicillin is a 'natural' chemical, but that didn't stop pharmaceutical companies from delivering it in a safe form. Furthermore just because of some hearsay about some pharmaceutical company's anti-autism drug, doesn't mean that all pharmaceutical drugs are dangerous. Furthermore advertisments are supposed to make you buy a product. Also can I have an example of this blatantness?

Maybe not 'evil' but certainly full of corruption and their main goal is profit.....why do you figure pharmacutial drugs in this country are so damn expensive? And as it has been discussed edibles are safe.....and well pharmacutical companies are probably not good at gardening or baking so lets leave it to those who actually respect cannabis in its natural form and would like to put that to use...not have the pharmacutical companies screw around with it.

And most pharmacutical drugs are dangerous, just pay attention to all the side effects. and they should not be advertising drugs like that......trying to coax people into trying a particular drug by manipulating them is not good.

Well pharmaceutical companies will only sell a product if it makes a profit as with any company. Since marijuana is not liscensed by anyone then you can go out there and make a decent pill if you want, if you can. But my original argument is that pharmaceutical companies aren't necessaily evil.

should medicines to help people with serious problems be considered common consumer products? probably not this is peoples health we are talking about....cannabis does not need to be a 'pill' to be effective.

[But there are still risks of smoking and that's why I am trying to tell you!
REMOVE THE SMOKING=REMOVE THE NEGATIVES OF SMOKING=BETTER FOR THE USER=BETTER TREATMENT
If there is an alternative that reduces the insufficiency of anything in this world then you should seek it and this is just another example.

I know there are risks with smoking, but I don't think enough people oppose smoking it for medicinal/recreational purposes in my state for them to ban smoking for medicinal use. The alternatives to smoking are very availible at least if you have your medical marijuana card and thus access to the dispensaries. So people can use the alternatives, but many choose not to.

Not that I look upon smokers with much respect either. They can tank their lungs as far away from me as possible and we wont mind each other. Not that this effects the original argument that we were debating the use of marijuana extracts for use as medicine.

And I thought the argument was about medicinal marijuana......most places medicinal marijuana is legal those who are legally using it smoke it, eat edibles, use the tinctures ect. Medicinal marijuana is legal in some place and smoking is one method people choose. It wont cause as much lung damage as ciggerettes either.

number2
Toucan
Toucan

15 Sep 2011, 6:48 pm

One thing that's odd about me is that when I smoke I do not get the munchies very often I don't know is this an asperger thing to feel not hungry after smoking a few joints or is it just me?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 7:11 pm

number2 wrote:
One thing that's odd about me is that when I smoke I do not get the munchies very often I don't know is this an asperger thing to feel not hungry after smoking a few joints or is it just me?

I tried it when I was young, and it numbed my senses out. Food didn't even taste like anything to me. I could never understand why people got the munchies, and could never understand what they meant by high, if anything it made me feel low. It slowed my perception of time down, I remember driving, seeing a stop sign, and wondering when I would ever get to it.

It must have really been great for some, because it was a way of life, for many people that I knew.

Maybe it helps some depending on their particular sensory issues, or other issues related to Autism, but from what I could see, most of the effect it had on me was opposite from others. If I wanted to get high, all I had to do is to drink one cup of coffee. If I wanted to relax, one beer would do the trick. I didn't like my mind altered much, so I refused to drink much more than 1 cup of coffee or 1 beer.

In the ICD10 diagnostic manual for Aspergers, it lists episodes of psychosis in young adulthood as an association with Aspergers; some must experience it for it to be recognized in that highly respected World Health Organization manual, but I've never seen that association before in the US.

Marijuana might not be a good thing for those in young adulthood that might have a propensity toward an episode of psychosis. Only the individual, I guess, or their psychiatrist, could possibly assess this issue though.

number2
Toucan
Toucan

15 Sep 2011, 7:32 pm

aghogday wrote:
number2 wrote:

I tried it when I was young, and it numbed my senses out. Food didn't even taste like anything to me. I could never understand why people got the munchies, and could never understand what they meant by high, if anything it made me feel low. It slowed my perception of time down, I remember driving, seeing a stop sign, and wondering when I would ever get to it.

It must have really been great for some, because it was a way of life, for many people that I knew.

Maybe it helps some depending on their particular sensory issues, or other issues related to Autism, but from what I could see, most of the effect it had on me was opposite from others. If I wanted to get high, all I had to do is to drink one cup of coffee. If I wanted to relax, one beer would do the trick. I didn't like my mind altered much, so I refused to drink much more than 1 cup of coffee or 1 beer.

In the ICD10 diagnostic manual for Aspergers, it lists episodes of psychosis in young adulthood as an association with Aspergers; some must experience it for it to be recognized in that highly respected World Health Organization manual, but I've never seen that association before in the US.

Marijuana might not be a good thing for those in young adulthood that might have a propensity toward an episode of psychosis. Only the individual, I guess, or their psychiatrist, could possibly assess this issue though.

psychosis means you loose touch with reality never happened to me but doctors told me that it was marijuana but I never told them I have been using a more powerful psychedelic drug called Salvia. Marijuana doesn't cause psychosis because the plant has anti psychotic cannabiods within the plant.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 8:03 pm

number2 wrote:
aghogday wrote:
number2 wrote:

psychosis means you loose touch with reality never happened to me but doctors told me that it was marijuana but I never told them I have been using a more powerful psychedelic drug called Salvia. Marijuana doesn't cause psychosis because the plant has anti psychotic cannabiods within the plant.

There is a great deal of evidence that cannabis is associated with psychosis; however the majority of people that smoke marijuana are not effected by it in this way. While some may experience an anti-psychotic benefit from it, there is evidence the opposite is the case for others. Brain chemistry and genetics vary among individuals, and prescription drugs have opposing effects on individuals, so it's not too suprising that they are finding this to be the case with cannabis as well. This might be something to discuss with your doctor.

Quote:
ScienceDaily (Mar. 3, 2011) — Cannabis use during adolescence and young adulthood increases the risk of psychotic symptoms, while continued cannabis use may increase the risk for psychotic disorder in later life, concludes a new study published online in the British Medical Journal.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110301184056.htm

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 8:49 pm

aghogday wrote:

well that kinda sucks.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 10:10 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
aghogday wrote:

well that kinda sucks.

Here's the quote from the ICD10:

http://apps.who.int/classifications/apps/icd/icd10online/

Quote:
F84.5 Asperger's syndrome
A disorder of uncertain nosological validity, characterized by the same type of qualitative abnormalities of reciprocal social interaction that typify autism, together with a restricted, stereotyped, repetitive repertoire of interests and activities. It differs from autism primarily in the fact that there is no general delay or retardation in language or in cognitive development. This disorder is often associated with marked clumsiness. There is a strong tendency for the abnormalities to persist into adolescence and adult life. Psychotic episodes occasionally occur in early adult life.

Pychosis is a mental disorder separate from Aspergers. So this is an association, not a criteria requirement in the ICD10. Children may start out with an Aspergers diagnosis, with no psychotic episodes, and then as stated in the ICD10, psychotic episodes occasionally occur in early adult life.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 8:53 am

aghogday wrote:
number2 wrote:
aghogday wrote:
number2 wrote:

There is a great deal of evidence that cannabis is associated with psychosis; however the majority of people that smoke marijuana are not effected by it in this way. While some may experience an anti-psychotic benefit from it, there is evidence the opposite is the case for others. Brain chemistry and genetics vary among individuals, and prescription drugs have opposing effects on individuals, so it's not too suprising that they are finding this to be the case with cannabis as well. This might be something to discuss with your doctor.
[quote]

Well can be associated.......in psychology there are no absolutes, but yes it can contribute to such symptoms in some people. Kind of like anti-depressants can make people more anxious/depressed and apparently can make you hear people whispering about you when no one is that is probably not what most people experiance when they take anti-depressants but it happens. I have never had that with cannabis.

Also though I imagine strains with higher THC and less CBD would be more likely to contribute to psychosis then a strain with more CBD and less THC for instance. As if I remember right CBD is the chemical with anti-psychotic properties.

number2
Toucan
Toucan

17 Sep 2011, 2:55 pm

Does Hashish or purple kush have any CBD in it?

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 3:37 pm

number2 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
number2 wrote:
I'm totally for legalization sure i can go and buy booze to help me cope with my chronic depression but I know that alcohol is far more harmful then marijuana so I like to stick to marijuana becuase of that. my theory that marijuana is a substance about somewhere as harmful inbetween coffee and beer.

Honestly, it is more likely someone could die from caffine easier than they could die from marijuana. I mean on some of the powerful energy drinks it says 'Do Not Exceed One Can' per day for a reason. I find cannabis to be quite benificial, but the illegal status of it kind of interferes but the cannabis is not what causes that that would be unjust laws against smoking cannabis. at least I think those laws are unjust.

I know caffine is more harmful then marijuana thats why i said coffee i don't think anyone has died from drinking too much coffee becuase there isnt as much caffine as in a red bull.

Why do you use any chemical to deal with chronic depression anyway? That's like trying to fix a city fortification by making it out of timber. Short fix, no long-term gain.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 4:16 pm

Gedrene wrote:
number2 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
number2 wrote:

Why do you use any chemical to deal with chronic depression anyway? That's like trying to fix a city fortification by making it out of timber. Short fix, no long-term gain.

Because I would rather do that than be in constant pain all the time, feeling better helps me function.......of course it is not a cure otherwise I would be over this bout of feeling close to suicidal I have fallen into already. I would rather pick up the pipe then the razor blade in the kitchen or the pills in the bedroom. And it is nice to relax sometimes, I am usually kind of tense, anxious and on edge you could say so the cannabis slows down my thinking so I am not overanalazing too many things at once and getting anxious about it.

It is a way of temporary relief, I don't expect it to fix anything.

number2
Toucan
Toucan

17 Sep 2011, 8:32 pm

A few years ago I would cut my self when I didnt have any bud but then I realized getting a tattoo is better and I have one of a marijuana leaf.