Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 3:37 pm

When I mean 'us' I mean the overarching norms of the global populace.

I'm just baffled by the seemingly fetishistic intellectual obstinance to the idea that plenty of people who don't want to be here have valid reasons and that such reasons do exist. Some of the times I get reminders of this from looking at the haven, someone has nothing, sees no sign nor possibility for things to get better. Sometimes, if they know themselves, odds are they're right. People then chime in with all kinds of utterly asinine things that, I hate to say it, are such thin gruel that they seem to offer more proof to the OP that they're actually right than anything else.

What I don't understand is why society doesn't just get to the point of having a counseling process. Meaning: a psychologist sits down with you, gets in depth about your life, who you are, what your possibilities are. Their objective is to, over a series of at least a years worth of meetings, verify with you that you are in fact making the best choice for who you are and how you feel/interpret the world. Mind you - not every mindset or personality-type that's dystonic to living or being human is necessarily distorted. They would look through the persons reasons and - especially if this person knows that they only possibility for them going forward is becoming an emotional black hole and then being a weight on the system when, in their loneliness, they contract some terminal illness or need to be placed in a nursing home. If a person has options they haven't considered in terms of still living - they try to help guide that person in that direction, if they end up in agreement that the person's options are tapped out then they start the procedure to have a formal medical process arranged to make it painless. People could plan wills this way, people could do what they needed to to make sure their loved ones were taken care of, and it would be much better than people needing to take nasty measures covertly and then even worsening what people left in the wake of it are stuck with both emotionally and financially.

The fetish with the idea that all must live, that suicide must be prevented at all costs, that anyone who'd think such a thing needs to be rescued - its just that, a fetish. It seems like if anything the people who really want to die but choose not to, especially the emotions of other people who do care about them, they're really trying to assuage someone else's problems - sometimes its appropriate, often enough its seemingly more inappropriate of the people who are imposing the pouting - after all if they're really suffering and you really love them, you should be able to let them go.

Do you think I'm summing up the view most people have here at WP:PPR or am I missing something?

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Last edited by techstepgenr8tion on 17 Sep 2011, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wcoltd
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 3:41 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
When I mean 'us' I mean the overarching norms of the global populace.

I'm just baffled by the seemingly fetishistic intellectual obstinance to the idea that plenty of people who don't want to be here have valid reasons and that such reasons do exist. Some of the times I get reminders of this from looking at the haven, someone has nothing, sees no sign nor possibility for things to get better. Sometimes, if they know themselves, odds are they're right. People then chime in with all kinds of utterly asinine things that, I hate to say it, are such thin gruel that they seem to offer more proof to the OP that they're actually right than anything else.

What I don't understand is why society doesn't just get to the point of having a counseling process. Meaning: a psychologist sits down with you, gets in depth about your life, who you are, what your possibilities are. Their objective is to, over a series of at least a years worth of meetings, verify with you that you are in fact making the best choice for who you are and how you feel/interpret the world. Mind you - not every mindset or personality-type that's dystonic to living or being human is necessarily distorted. They would look through the persons reasons and - especially if this person knows that they only possibility for them going forward is becoming an emotional black hole and then being a weight on the system when, in their loneliness, they contract some terminal illness or need to be placed in a nursing home.

The fetish with the idea that all must live, that suicide must be prevented at all costs, that anyone who'd think such a thing needs to be rescued - its just that, a fetish. It seems like if anything the people who really want to die but choose not to, especially the emotions of other people who do care about them, they're really trying to assuage someone else's problems - sometimes its appropriate, often enough its seemingly more inappropriate of the people who are imposing the pouting - after all if they're really suffering and you really love them, you should be able to let them go.

Do you think I'm summing up the view most people have here at WP:PPR or am I missing something?

No I agree with you. I don't see anything wrong with suicide as long as the person has no better option. It's better to kill yourself than to be a burden to everyone around you.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 3:50 pm

The only thing I see wrong is when people used the threat or implied threat of suicide to get what they want, whether it be material goods, cash money, behavior changes in others, or just a little extra attention for themselves. If someone really wants to off themselves, then why don't they just do it?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 4:12 pm

I pretty much agree & although I've never been suicidal myself, it gives me some emotional comfort to know that Switzerland is not far away in case I or any of my close friends ever need the services of Dignitas.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 4:18 pm

Fnord wrote:
The only thing I see wrong is when people used the threat or implied threat of suicide to get what they want, whether it be material goods, cash money, behavior changes in others, or just a little extra attention for themselves. If someone really wants to off themselves, then why don't they just do it?

No, I firmly agree. Some people are just extremely manipulative, others perhaps just a bit childish. Most adults though, especially who don't want to ruin their reputations, would never do such a thing and quite likely would make certain that they picked a method where they had assurance that they wouldn't wake up in a hospital with their adult freedoms taken from them and to add injury to insult the possibility of being too impaired from neurological damage to even have a fraction of the life they were trying to leave let alone try it again.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 4:38 pm

Well in the end it really is that individuals choice what they want to do, but it should never be encouraged and there should be help availible to suicidal people. It is a quite complex problem in which many factors have to be considered. I mean even if someone is what the taxpayers call a 'burden on society.' should they be obligated to kill themself over that and how bad they must feel to be considering suicide in the first place....or do they deserve to get some help with that.

It is a rather complex issue so I can't say how I feel about it in every senerio......I mean if someone seriously has no quality of life, no change of really getting any quality of life and really just wants it to end it should ultimately be up to them. But even then it is hard to be of the veiw that they 'should' also though I feel like if there where such policies to allow people acess to painless suicide it could be abused like someone might want to further convince someone who does have a chance of feeling better in life that they should just do it...so yeah its hard to say if something like that would actually work and if it would be the right thing to do or not.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 5:13 pm

wcoltd wrote:

No I agree with you. I don't see anything wrong with suicide as long as the person has no better option. It's better to kill yourself than to be a burden to everyone around you.

I have no objection so someone else killing themselves or allowing themselves to die provided they do it in such a way as not to impose a hazard on me and the rest of us. That includes leaving dependent children for the rest of us to care for. If a person wants to kill him/herself safely let it be done, preferably after they have made provisions for the care of any dependent children.

If a person has the right to his/her life that person has the right to his/her death.

ruveyn

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 5:19 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well in the end it really is that individuals choice what they want to do, but it should never be encouraged and there should be help availible to suicidal people. It is a quite complex problem in which many factors have to be considered. I mean even if someone is what the taxpayers call a 'burden on society.' should they be obligated to kill themself over that and how bad they must feel to be considering suicide in the first place....or do they deserve to get some help with that.

No, I agree that if someone is monetarily a burden on society but they're also happy with life that no one has any right asking them to step out. I think what I'm saying is that there should be a legitimized process for people who will never be able to make a connection between who they are and what they need vs. where the world has them.

Sweetleaf wrote:
It is a rather complex issue so I can't say how I feel about it in every senerio......I mean if someone seriously has no quality of life, no change of really getting any quality of life and really just wants it to end it should ultimately be up to them. But even then it is hard to be of the veiw that they 'should' also though I feel like if there where such policies to allow people acess to painless suicide it could be abused like someone might want to further convince someone who does have a chance of feeling better in life that they should just do it...so yeah its hard to say if something like that would actually work and if it would be the right thing to do or not.

The risk seems to be that or the possibility that someone is orchestrating their problems or deliberately egging them on for the sake of getting their money. That's an issue that the professionals within such organizations would need to be vigilant of. I had the chance to wiki-search Dignitas and that was interesting, they pointed out another concern; what could happen when suicide becomes a for-profit industry. We have much the same concern as well in the US with the abortion industry and some people do believe there's evidence that it has turned that corner already.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 5:23 pm

ruveyn wrote:
wcoltd wrote:

I have no objection so someone else killing themselves or allowing themselves to die provided they do it in such a way as not to impose a hazard on me and the rest of us. That includes leaving dependent children for the rest of us to care for. If a person wants to kill him/herself safely let it be done, preferably after they have made provisions for the care of any dependent children.

If a person has the right to his/her life that person has the right to his/her death.

ruveyn

Two added benefits:
1) Other people know its coming, they can tie up financial and personal loose-ends (obviously as well if someone has terminal cancer or something like that the family gets to see them for the last time as they'd rather be seen).
2) Looking at a movie like Seven Pounds someone like that could get the same thing done without having to resort to jellyfish. There is then the concern that it becomes a need-driven thing if hospitals start looking for more organ donations and lean on assisted suicide collectives to relax their entrance rules, but overall if someone does not want to be here, their organs are in good shape, and they'd rather give them away than destroy them in the process - it makes more sense to give assistance.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 8:03 pm

anna-banana wrote:
I pretty much agree & although I've never been suicidal myself, it gives me some emotional comfort to know that Switzerland is not far away in case I or any of my close friends ever need the services of Dignitas.

You realize that these suicide services are ethically bound to try to talk you out of your fatal plans.

ruveyn

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 8:57 pm

Suicide is a waste of a perfectly good and capable person. Those who are suicidal just refuse to see that in themselves.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 9:07 pm

techstepgenr8tion, I mostly agree with you. But since we in the U.S. don't necessarily have a better option than posting in the Haven, thin gruel may have to suffice for long enough to let the mental disturbance pass. I don't get that sense of serious intellectual consideration from the I wanna die posts there.

Regarding doctor assisted suicide: for many seriously ill people, just having the option makes dealing with the sickness easier. I imagine that knowing that I had the means to peacefully end my life would make facing a terrible disease a lot less worrisome.

However Jesus -- according to his self-appointed spokespeople -- disagrees, and that settles it.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 9:08 pm

ruveyn wrote:
anna-banana wrote:

You realize that these suicide services are ethically bound to try to talk you out of your fatal plans.

ruveyn

That's the way it technically should be though. On the other hand though they shouldn't just be trying to 'talk out' but rather assess to the best of their ability whether they have solid advice for living or whether doing so would be irrational optimism. If its the later they should stay out of the way.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 9:14 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
techstepgenr8tion, I mostly agree with you. But since we in the U.S. don't necessarily have a better option than posting in the Haven, thin gruel may have to suffice for long enough to let the mental disturbance pass. I don't get that sense of serious intellectual consideration from the I wanna die posts there.

I would tend to think as well that the people most likely to do it would be the least likely to post in the Haven, or you'd see them stop and put a wall up for a good while as - if they're serious - they don't want interference.

jrjones9933 wrote:
Regarding doctor assisted suicide: for many seriously ill people, just having the option makes dealing with the sickness easier. I imagine that knowing that I had the means to peacefully end my life would make facing a terrible disease a lot less worrisome.

I think of it like this as well; as we get older a lot of our valuation of self is based on what we can give back. If we've been meticulous about saving our money, making sure we can get by without help, hoping that in our passing our kids and grand kids receive what we didn't spend, and then along comes an illness which gives every indication that this will all be wiped out if the doctors and medical community do what they have it in their minds to do. That's more than just frustrating, its a life's work down the drain.

I had to laugh as well watching the first season of Breaking Bad - they hit on this topic and the main character's attitude was quite similar to my own, lol not in the sense of cooking meth as being a great idea to resolve medical expenses but the idea of quality over quantity. Its the quantity above all else bit that, when I see people expressing it, I can't liken to anything else other than a fetish.

jrjones9933 wrote:
However Jesus -- according to his self-appointed spokespeople -- disagrees, and that settles it.

I would figure that the religious have every right to be religious and not take up such services in the belief that even artificially sustained life is too sacred for even the sustained to call for the plug to be pulled. On that note though that's a personal value system, it should not be compelled into being a societal one.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 10:09 pm

This thread reminds me of Michigan's Jack Kevorkian. Mostly I see the rise of such a figure as a strange symptom of the medical system's often terrible inability to address and offer real pain management.

As disturbing as Kevorkian and his death machine was to many people and our culture in general I think he fought a worthy cause based on compassion and I respect him.

In general regarding suicide and many other issues we have to realize we don't have the authority to control other people and their bodies. The few exceptions might be cases of true insanity when the person is frankly not in control of their body or their faculties.

Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 10:17 pm

I have four reasons for being against suicide:

We are not the owners of our own lives, we are the stewards our civilization. Our existence owes something to our fellow man, even those yet to be born.

Suicide goes directly against our natural inclination to survive and perpetuate our own lives.

Suicide is a public deceleration and as such it sets an example, and a bad one, to those who need to be shown solidarity in life, not death.

My last reason is religious, God gave us our lives, they are not ours to take.

Was not spoken of the soul.