Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 2:33 pm

Twist wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
I have a feeling that the highest levels of business and government are packed with successful sociopaths.

dick cheney is a good example xD? He makes everything sound so smooth and collected, even if he's suggesting the systematic murder of all first born puppy-dogs.

machiavellianism is an essential trait for politicians though, so to assume that governments are full of psychos is probably a little exaggerated. :p

Maybe they are part of the "Broader Psychopathic Phenotype"? :twisted:

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 3:19 pm

Twist wrote:
From my limited understanding, the mirror neuron system which fails to work properly for someone with ASD is the exact reason why someone with AsPD can end up so successful, because their ability to mimic is not impaired, as ours is.

Ah, but you're comparing a neurological manifestation in one group/person to a behavioural manifestation in another group/person. Whether activity of mirror neurons is increased or decreased doesn't automatically decide upon the general social success or failure and personal preferences of an individual.

Or rather, a potential or lack thereof does not force a person to pay attention to and live up to their potential and also doesn't force them to resist or avoid trying to improve in their area of weakness.

Though that may be rare. I came to think that a lot of people really do stick with what they're good at and favour to ignore what they're bad at and just leave it at that.

Twist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Sep 2011, 3:51 pm

Sora wrote:

Ah, but you're comparing a neurological manifestation in one group/person to a behavioural manifestation in another group/person. Whether activity of mirror neurons is increased or decreased doesn't automatically decide upon the general social success or failure and personal preferences of an individual.

Or rather, a potential or lack thereof does not force a person to pay attention to and live up to their potential and also doesn't force them to resist or avoid trying to improve in their area of weakness.

Though that may be rare. I came to think that a lot of people really do stick with what they're good at and favour to ignore what they're bad at and just leave it at that.

True, one's neurological makeup cannot determine how one will react to an enviroment/develop their personality. A high-functioning Aspie can blend in, whereas impulsive anti-socials tend to stand out. Like I said, I don't have enough understanding of neuro-science to discuss whether a defective amygdala would disqualify any autistic behaviourisms, so II'll concede that a severely autistic person (HF) could develop an equally low functioning anti social disorder given the right stimuli >.< but I maintain that they would not be socially adept.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

19 Sep 2011, 5:28 pm

n3rdgir1 wrote:
I followed a bread crumb conversation on another site this morning and found someone I know mention they were a "sociopath". This same person also self-diagnosed as having Aspergers. I thought the two were mutually exclusive? I know they superficially share a lack of empathy, but seem to be very very different conditions.

I did some research this morning and found mixed evidence. Can you have Aspergers AND Antisocial Personality Disorder (sociopathy)?

The one study I know of that discusses this found that a small number of people who fit the criteria for an ASD and ADHD both can also fit the criteria for ASPD.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 8:13 pm

Twist wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
I have a feeling that the highest levels of business and government are packed with successful sociopaths.

dick cheney is a good example xD? He makes everything sound so smooth and collected, even if he's suggesting the systematic murder of all first born puppy-dogs.

machiavellianism is an essential trait for politicians though, so to assume that governments are full of psychos is probably a little exaggerated. :p

Former President Bush is probably a mild sociopath too. For example, he had around 150 people executed while governor of Texas. He also used do hard drugs like cocaine which he has admitted to. And that's just before he was president.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 9:26 pm

I think it'd be possible to have both, but I imagine it'd be fairly rare.