Need Suggestions @ diapers for my Autistic son.......HELP!

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 2:21 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I'm still cloth diapering my 3 1/2 year old. Financially it's probably the best way to go, but there is a bit of a learning curve. They're usually sold individually so you could get just one to see if it works for you. And if they're too noticeable for daytime use you could just use it at night. They look the same under clothes whether they're dry or soiled, so at least you wouldn't have the lumpy urine issue.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 7:12 am

Sorry Ive been away for awhile or I would have tried to help you. I managed to get my autie out of diapers while she was still non verbal but she still does not go all the time by herself and does not wipe, ect. so we still have to remind her, take her and clean her up. She is 6 and we started when she was 3 as she kept getting MRSA skin abscesses in her diaper area no matter how often we changed, bathed or cleaned her. I switched her to cloth diapers and it helped and I used cloth "pull ups" for a long time. I found a couple of sites for you that you might be interested in. This one you basically have to make your own which is cheaper but you need to be "crafty" and have a sewing machine http://etsyclothdiapers.blogspot.com/20 ... dults.html.
Ill also found a few places you can buy premade ones, maybe buy one or two of the different type of pull ups/trainers and try them. This one goes up to size 11 and I dont know if that is 11 years or not http://getantsy.com/Antsy-Pants-Large-Sizes.html If you scroll down you will see that they have stretch elastic on the sides and also snaps on the front in case of any messy clean ups you may have to do (easier to unbutton than to slide down!).
We used these http://www.simplecloth.com/catalog/item ... 524084.htm but if you son is a heavy wetter they are not going to work that well and will need a plastic cover which may not be very comfortable for him but if there are certain times of the day where he uses the toilet more and he just wets a bit here and there these would be great....the Junior/junior large should be the right fit for him. They are thick but not bulky.
Here is also a really good site...it says adult but there are some for bigger kids as well http://www.adultclothdiaper.com/
I know there is another really good site that has cloth diapers that look like boxer shorts but I cant find it right now. Hope you find something to help you. One of the good things about cloth diapers or pull ups is that in the long run you save a lot of money. Thought Id add this last link....it is on the same site as the last link but it is more what you are looking for so I just wanted to post it in case you didnt see it http://www.adultclothdiaper.com/PRODUCT ... -On-Diaper

DJRAVEN66
Raven
Raven

25 Jun 2012, 9:24 pm

I would sugjest Tranquility Premium OverNight™ Disposable Absorbent Underwear. I have limited mobility and use this brand myself with great results.

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 9:50 pm

Although I did manage to get my son potty trained at 3 1/2 (he's 4 now) at the time I had no idea how long he was going to be in diapers, he wasn't easy to train but he'd always been continent at night so I knew he had control. I cloth diapered him from the beginning and planned on doing so indefinitely if need be. The benefits I know of that cloth would have over disposables is that it won't give him that big lump in his pants when he pees, he'll be able to tell when he's wet so it will help with continence if he has control over it, it's more cost efficient and better for the environment. Down sides are it's more work for you to wash them and other care takers may be uncomfortable using them.

Edit: Oops, I just realized this was an old post and that I'd already replied to it!

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 11:38 pm

I'm the Aspie in the family here, and was toilet trained at the usual time, and my kids are NT and were also, except for my youngest who took forever. She finally outgrew diapers and she had no choice but to use the potty.

The only experience I've had with adult diapers is with my MIL and she uses depends. However she isn't active at all and I don't know how that would work for your child.

I'd suggest calling a urologists office and talking to the nurse. I'm sure they have plenty of people with incontinence problems who are otherwise very active and may know of some solutions for you. Also, nursing homes or assisted living places use them with certain patients who also are mobile and who do things. Those places may have a good bit of information.

If there are facilities like group homes for adults, the kind with the more intense care, they may also have ideas of places where you can get something.

I suggest those places because they see people with those types of problems who are all over the spectrum of activity. What may work for a lady who sits in a wheelchair all day would not work for a young man who is active. I'm sure they have resources for places to buy and also brands.

Maybe if you call a long term care facility for children, they may have more active child specific diapers to reccommend. I'm wondering if there are brands that professionals and institutions use which are probably better than what's on the market for regular folks like us who aren't in the medical field.

They would probably have lots more information on what works and what doesn't than the clerk at the drugstore.

Good luck!

Oh, also if you could call a home health care company, they may also have ideas.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com