Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Twilightflame
Raven
Raven

20 Sep 2011, 12:53 am

Is a very real and very serious mental disorder.

Here's where you can find out more. (Click here)

Please help raise awareness of this disorder so we can provide sufferers with the adequate treatment and attention they need.

Thank you.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 1:04 am

It's a joke (in case you didn't know).

I failed to meet it.

Twilightflame
Raven
Raven

20 Sep 2011, 1:08 am

Naw... a joke?

It's a very serious mental illness!

:twisted:

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 4:34 am

:P :P :P lol

Twilightflame
Raven
Raven

20 Sep 2011, 4:44 am

I'm actually being more serious than you would guess from the straight-faced first post.

As much as people like to class Asperger's as a disorder, a disease, as opposed to a difference, a trait, by listing all the various situations in which we do not have the capabilities of neurotypicals... it makes the same amount of sense to class Neurotypicality as a disorder by listing all the various situations in which they do not have our abilities. :P

Normally the majority get to bully the minority around, but in a forum where we actually form the majority we can reverse this for once. :lol:

I especially like the following line:

Uncyclopedia wrote:
The disease affects as many as 9,600 out of 10,000 individuals, which is clearly alarming. The good news is that the number of incidences appear to be decreasing; several possible causes for this have been proposed. For example, nutritional improvements in the last few decades is said to be allowing these poor kids to develop proper neurology.

The ONLY reason why we are considered the disordered condition and neurotypicality is considered the normal state is that they outnumber us 19:1. But from an objective point of view, it is absurd to suggest that commonness should dictate a healthy state. After all, we don't consider healthy blood pressure as a disease even though more than 50% of all people above the age of 60 have high blood pressure. It's kind of a historical heritage thing which led to the current view, which really is illogical given that we do have some capabilities beyond that which neurotypicals possess.

To raise another example of the absurdity of using commonness, to be consistent, we should consider 'attractiveness' to be a physical deformity disease since the handsome and pretty are rare, and the common-looking people in the world are significantly more... common. Instead, only 'ugliness' at times is considered to be a physical deformity, but from a detached point of view, there is no functional difference between the extremely pretty and the extremely ugly. In both cases, they are physically (and until the invention of plastic surgery, irrevocably) distinct from the vast majority of people out there.

Indeed, some people with the less common perceptions of beauty find those whom the majority find repulsive to be exceptionally attractive, and that much acts somewhat as a testament to the inconsistency of using a subjective appraisal as a diagnostic criterion.

Last edited by Twilightflame on 20 Sep 2011, 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 4:47 am

Finding a cure for Neurotypical Syndrome would be cruelty to Folly.

As the Goddess of Folly proclaimed "Folly, I say, that both makes friends and keeps them so. I speak of mortal men only, among whom there are none but have some small faults; he is most happy that has fewest. If we pass to the gods, we shall find that they have so much of wisdom, as they have very little of friendship; nay, nothing of that which is true and hearty."

And as is normal for the Neurotypical, the "piquant smack and relish of Folly, for since the Stoics define wisdom to be conducted by reason, and folly nothing else but the being hurried by passion, lest our life should otherwise have been too dull and inactive, that creator, who out of clay first tempered and made us up, put into the composition of our humanity more than a pound of passions to an ounce of reason; and reason he confined within the narrow cells of the brain, whereas he left passions the whole body to range in."

As for the great "meet-and-deal" skills, "Well then, to scratch and curry one another, to wink at a friend's faults; nay, to cry up some failings for virtuous and commendable, is not this the next door to the being a fool?"

And what use is intelligence to a Neurotypical, since "what service can be done as by drudging at the oars of wisdom, to have spent strength? No, the only use is of blunt sturdy fellows that have little of wit, and so the more of resolution...as wisdom is but a rub and impediment to the well management of any affair."

And don't forget the great party time of the Neurotypical, for Folly is more Neurotypical fun, "For place a formal wise man at a feast, and he shall, either by his morose silence put the whole table out of humour, or by his frivolous questions disoblige and tire out all that sit near him. Call him out to dance, and he shall move no more nimbly than a camel. Invite him to any public performance, and by his very looks he shall damp the mirth of all spectators, and at last be forced, like Cato, to leave the theatre, because he cannot unstarch his gravity, nor put on a more pleasant countenance. If he engage in any discourse, he either breaks off abruptly, or tires out the patience of the whole company, if he goes on, as he is wholly unacquainted with the humour of the vulgar" so intrinsic to the Neurotypical.

Indeed, the whole proceedings of the Neurotypical world are nothing but one continued scene of Folly, all the actors being equally fools and madmen. "And therefore if any be so pragmatically wise as to be singular, he must even turn a second Timon, or man-hater, and by retiring into some unfrequented desert," and become a recluse from the worship of Folly by all of the Great Neurotypicals.

And as Folly dictated "The Praise of Folly" for Happy Neurotypicals, the poisons of wisdom and intelligence would weaken their worship of Folly and endanger their foolish pursuits of happiness found in the embrace of more than willing Folly. Helping raise awareness of this disorder so that help could be provided the sufferers with the adequate treatment and attention they need, would be more cruel than denying opium to the opium addict.

Tadzio

Twilightflame
Raven
Raven

20 Sep 2011, 5:01 am

Tadzio wrote:
And as Folly dictated "The Praise of Folly" for Happy Neurotypicals, the poisons of wisdom and intelligence would weaken their worship of Folly and endanger their foolish pursuits of happiness found in the embrace of more than willing Folly. Helping raise awareness of this disorder so that help could be provided the sufferers with the adequate treatment and attention they need, would be more cruel than denying opium to the opium addict.

Tadzio

I'd suppose the justifiability of such an endeavour would surely rest upon the ethicality of denying treatment to those who do not desire treatment, or as you put it, denying opium to the opium addict.

As a medical professional I would be predisposed to the view that disorders, that which hamper the ability of the afflicted, should be treated even against their current will, if there be enough reason to suggest that their current will be unproductive to the long-term wellness of the afflicted. As an aspie medical professional, I am also able to see why this school of thought may not always be applicable, yea, may not even be reasonable, should the situation vary greatly from the prescribed norm.

Given your points on which the quality of life of sufferers of Neurotypicality may indeed be enhanced by their condition, it seems only ethical to leave the decision of treatment to the afflicted to personally make. That said, I cannot agree with not raising awareness of the disorder, for the afflicted would surely not be able to make a decision without the information to make it with, and to deny them so as a medical professional would violate professional ethics. :lol:

---------------------------

Postscript:

Tadzio wrote:
Call him out to dance, and he shall move no more nimbly than a camel. Invite him to any public performance, and by his very looks he shall damp the mirth of all spectators

Who says we're ugly people who can't dance? I'm ugly sure, but I can dance. :P

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 5:22 am

Please don't blame me for "The Praise of Folly". The Goddess of Folly dictated the book "The Praise of Folly" to Desiderius Erasmus more than 500 years ago, with the kind translation accomplished by Hans Holbein in 1887. I just plagirized parts from the free Google eBook from books-dot-google, since Folly was obviously making the issues to those now grouped under the banner of "Neurotypical".

Tadzio

Twilightflame
Raven
Raven

20 Sep 2011, 5:26 am

Tadzio wrote:
Please don't blame me for "The Praise of Folly". The Goddess of Folly dictated the book "The Praise of Folly" to Desiderius Erasmus more than 500 years ago, with the kind translation accomplished by Hans Holbein in 1887. I just plagirized parts from the free Google eBook from books-dot-google, since Folly was obviously making the issues to those now grouped under the banner of "Neurotypical".

Tadzio

No blame intended. Just raising the point of contention for clarity's sake. :dj:

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 8:51 am

i actually knew this site before, and i have used it on occasion when educating my friends on the topic.
i got asked a question alomg the lines of "how different do you really feel".
i could not really answer this, but i showed them this neurotypical syndrome list to give them an idea from my point of vieuw; with the annotation that it's exagerrated

ZaannV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Sep 2011, 1:10 pm

lmao that was hilarious, especially the intellectual deficits