Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

emptymindless
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jan 2012, 10:23 pm

well i think everyones like that, i think its time as you get older you see more objectively.
man, i used to think that i was a god, it was fun while it lasted, then things turned plain and boring,
then fun again by experiencing life the right way.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 7:49 pm

It just sounds to me like egotistical thinking, I think everyone exhibits it to an extent.

kaiouti
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jan 2012, 5:16 am

Maybe you should look up "Truman Show Syndrome" some people get it, I recommend watching the movie (The Truman Show with Jim Carrey), But only if you are stable!! ! XD lol Im sure a various points in my life I had Truman Show Syndrome, that movie scared the hell outta me XD

Sarah81
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2012, 6:43 am

Angel_ryan wrote:
Part of being autistic is having your own inner world. It's really hard to let other people in that world, especially when there is difficulty in understanding social behaviors. I think feeling that way is normal for a lot of aspies.

Introverted NTs also have their own inner world to varying extents. It also depends on how imaginative and creative you are, how in-depth the world is. I don't know if that is the same as the aspie inner world but it seems to be from the descriptions here.

I was always taught that aspies were unimaginative and lacking empathy, but this and other posts prove me wrong. I was taught that one of the 'signs' of autism or aspergers was the child's play - aspies tend to line up blocks and sort them by size, shape and colour,rather than building an imaginary building - and same with dolls - aspies apparently play differently with dolls and don't tend to have imaginary tea parties with them. I was told that without socially imaginative play that aspies then don't have the skills to interact. But it seems that many of you can create these imaginary worlds in your mind, perhaps as a form of social practice? And also that you can understand that other people are the stars of their own movies? This goes against everything I was taught originally about aspergers.

Yay for new learning!

nat4200
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 6:55 am

Redacted

Last edited by nat4200 on 21 Apr 2012, 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 5:57 am

I've spoken a bit about this before on here, I'm sure. When I was a child, I used to think I was the main character in the world. I think it all came down to that fact that I felt I had a pretty comfortable life. I used to see pictures of all the children in warzones and those starving and think, 'What makes me special? Here I am in Scotland, no war, enough to eat, clothes, a house, we're not rich but I'm fine'. I always thought that the chances of living such a 'charmed' life (or so it seemed in comparison with those kids elsewhere) were pretty small, so I was somehow chosen to be here and was special. The notion of being the only real person in the world was preferable to me. I cared so much about the suffering of others, that maybe I thought it was better to think they weren't real at all, as there was so little I could do to help. I don't feel like that these days, but I still think I'm pretty lucky.

archraphael
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Mar 2012, 1:15 pm

I think it's typical of spectrum people to have this type of thinking especially considering the degree of brain damage... But I've seen some extremely narcissistic and hypocritical NT's who are extraverted but clearly egotistical and after their own and don't give a care about more conscienscious people (like introverts, and some ASD people)
I my self withdraw into the "I"m the hero of my story" mode and most of my ideas are based on my self as the "main character" in this story I suppose..
I think with ASD's it's holding on to what self esteem you're trying to muster... because the reality of having ASD or brain damage is overwhelming. I feel slow compared to my peers.. mis understood... extreemely developmentally delayed, like a teenager or child trapped in a woman's body even... But again... I've met some extremely selfish and narc NT's who will even rip you off, and use you, for their own personal gain. Now that is real egotistical.

anonymous-shyster
Raven
Raven

06 Jun 2012, 3:19 am

SyphonFilter wrote:
I almost never think of myself as the main character. I usually think of myself as part of a party consisting of six or seven others, sort of like a role-playing game. Everyone has a skill that assists others. The others in my party are who I remember being nice to me during my school years.

I have felt this at times too. It is called solipsism and is quite common. Wikipedia solipsism or 'brain in a vat'.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 4:11 am

d510g1c wrote:
i know this sounds kinda weird but when i was 6/7 years old i completely convinced myself i was the only human being on earth, everyone else were robots who only acted like ppl when i could see them. crazy...i know!

It doesn't sound weird to me. I had thoughts about me being adopted. I had thoughts about everyone else being aliens observing me and testing how I would react to certain things. I had thoughts about me being an alien. ..when I was a child.