Page 1 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

For dates/attracting people, how much does clothing matter?
Not much 21%  21%  [ 13 ]
It matters a little. 29%  29%  [ 18 ]
A good bit 37%  37%  [ 23 ]
A lot. 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 62

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 10:51 am

Some people say that clothing is a very important part of attraction and dating, others say trying too hard is a way of trying to compensate.

what are your views?

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 10:59 am

Personally, I think stylish clothing is far more important than expensive clothing. Overtly expensive clothing on a single man could be regarded as "slu*ty" in a way.

It certainly doesn't hurt to look as good as you can, but I think the real benefit is the added confidence it gives you rather than simply the clothes themselves.

As a guy who really struggles dating-wise, I feel like it would be borderline irresponsible to neglect this area.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 10:59 am

Clothes mean very little to me. It's the person I'm attracted to.

Though, I admit I have a soft spot for anyone in cargo pants. :D

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 11:05 am

My view is simple:
As grisha recently pointed out in a thread most females end up with average guys.
This average guys usually have a similar style so in an attempt to blend in I try to buy stuff that an average guy would wear that I like(not that hard to find something when you realize that the spectrum of clothing worn by an average guy is quite wide)

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt255139.html

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 12:24 pm

clothes matter, but it's purely a matter of them fitting together and the person wearing them, wall-mart dollar bin or pall-mall exclusives should not make a difference to anyone but gold-diggers (imo)

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 12:41 pm

I couldn't care less how expensive or "in-style" things are.
Buying clothes to fit in with flash-in-the-pan trends seems to me a luxury of people with money.

to his Interest."

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 1:07 pm

There is one sort of expensive clothing that I think makes any man look his very best. The bespoke suit. But it is definately expensive.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 1:17 pm

Janissy wrote:
There is one sort of expensive clothing that I think makes any man look his very best. The bespoke suit. But it is definately expensive.

Thanks for the tip! - I'd never heard of them before and they're not that expensive - I'm actually in the market for a new suit but these days and I can probably get away with just one...

pavel_filonov
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2011, 2:31 pm

Don't care about expensive, but like a man who looks like he can use an iron and knows things have to be replaced before they fall to pieces. And that clothes should fit properly and jogging bottoms are for jogging in. I am a bit of a snob like that though...

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 2:54 pm

Grisha wrote:
Personally, I think stylish clothing is far more important than expensive clothing.

:chin: Hmm, I was under the impression that stylish = expensive.... The example of girls who think they're getting a "great deal" on pre-damaged jeans for $120 comes to mind. I don't understand fashion though. Maybe they're all crazy and that's not stylish at all, but I wouldn't know.
Anyway, I wear tshirts and basketball shorts most of the time (March through October in Texas). I have some nice clothes for if I need to dress up for something, but that's not very often.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 3:08 pm

Janissy wrote:

Agreed totally.
A man in a good suit is very attractive.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 3:18 pm

pavel_filonov wrote:
Don't care about expensive, but like a man who looks like he can use an iron and knows things have to be replaced before they fall to pieces. And that clothes should fit properly and jogging bottoms are for jogging in. I am a bit of a snob like that though...

The iron is my Achille's Heel - I never seem to eliminate the wrinkles, I simply produce new ones :roll:

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 3:19 pm

Megz wrote:
Grisha wrote:
Personally, I think stylish clothing is far more important than expensive clothing.

:chin: Hmm, I was under the impression that stylish = expensive.... The example of girls who think they're getting a "great deal" on pre-damaged jeans for $120 comes to mind. I don't understand fashion though. Maybe they're all crazy and that's not stylish at all, but I wouldn't know.
Anyway, I wear tshirts and basketball shorts most of the time (March through October in Texas). I have some nice clothes for if I need to dress up for something, but that's not very often.

Several "cheap" stores(zara,and similar stores) sell knockoffs of fashion designer items that look almost identical by a reduced price(there are several websites that back this up with the real deal&its price/zara&its price,etc) and there are other stores like say H&M that design their own clothing that looks stylish and isnt too expensive, there are probably several other stores out there cheaper and all but its not one of my main fields of interest so this is all I got from listening to my sisters.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt255139.html

Last edited by spongy on 20 Sep 2011, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

devey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2011, 3:22 pm

Maybe its not that important to dress in expensive and stylish clothes but it helps to at least show that you're confident and care about your appearance.

bigcoop
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Sep 2011, 3:26 pm

I really think it comes down to who you are trying to attract or date plus where ya'll are going. I agree Devey, If you are confident in what you are wearing, that is key.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 3:58 pm

I'd rather my date wasn't wearing a sack or clothes covered in stains. So I voted a little.