Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 7:13 pm

If you know what software and hardware is doing the filtering, it would be easy to find a way around it.

My parents don't censor my internet access. They can't. I control the modem and router settings, because they don't know what the heck they're doing. 8)

But, in your case, this is probably true.

Fnord wrote:
If your dad is more computer-savvy than you, then it is likely that he has already read what you've posted here... :shameonyou:

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2011, 2:06 pm

Cornflake wrote:
over9000 wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
To7m wrote:
Maybe get a linux CD and use that with the computer? Think you'd have complete control then...
Unless the blocking is implemented on the router. OP hasn't said what/where it is yet.
It is on the DNS server. You know, the server that converts domain names to IP addresses. Or is it vice versa?
Both.
Does that mean your parents are running a home server? Otherwise, it implies the filtering is done by some ISP-provided service (feasible).
Unfortunately each is outside your control.
[ETA: of course it could be done on your domestic router too. Not necessarily anything to do with DNS]

I don't know about ISP's that cater strictly to Jesus people, but I know that there are Search Engines that cater to them. --It is certainly technically feasible for end users to custom tailor their Internet Experiences to their personal phobias and -Isms, but I know nothing of this.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2011, 5:23 pm

over9000 wrote:
And youtube, which is also blocked.

Wow. To be brutally honest, if your parents were my parents, they would be my ex-parents.

countzarroff
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2011, 2:29 am

WOW I am sorry. Your parents are lousy for not trusting you and letting you off the leash at 17. Want my advice, hang out at a friend's house as much as you can. Who cares if they get mad, you're almost 18 and then you can do what you want. Until then just tell them you have to study Bible and do homework.