Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 5:22 pm

victorytea wrote:
How difficult is the gluten free diet and is it difficult to maintain? Paul

My sister in law has celiac disease and so has competely banned gluten from her diet. There are a lot of substitues for gluten containing products like Paul Newman brand "oreo" cookies (gluten free though oddly the package says not wheat free, someday maybe I'll understand that), pizza dough made with non-gluten containing flour, pancake mix... The difficulty may be down to where you live and if you have access to and can afford to shop at a good natural food store. My SIL mentioned above lives in Denver so has access to a wide variety of different markets and specialty stores.

Whenever you're trying to cut anything out, you have to do A LOT of label reading especially at first but once you find products you know you can trust or replace store bought products with things you make yourself, then it becomes easier. The things you are trying to avoid often lurk in unexpected places. We were just trying to eliminate red dye and it would turn up in unexpected places, like a particular brand of granola bar that did not at all appear red?! Once I tuned into it, I could spot any product that likely contained food dyes from a mile.