lips swollen, allergic reaction to sulfur drug

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

25 Sep 2011, 8:10 am

Hey all.

I had a sinus infection, doctor put me antibiotics and and it is a sulfur antibiotic, bactrim. It worked to get rid of the infection, but my lips got swollen real bad...I look like I have fish lips.
Well I called my doctor and he said to take benadryl which I did, but it doesnt seem to be working very well. It alievates the pain some by bring the swelling down alittle for a few hours, but after 4 hours it is swollen and bright red again.
It is rather painful.

I am trying to decide if I should go to the ER and get an ephinephrine shot.
What do you think??

Jojo

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 1:55 pm

Redacted.

Last edited by Willard on 01 Oct 2011, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EmiliaL
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Sep 2011, 2:00 pm

In your situation I would probably go to the ER.

You haven't said your throat is closing, but having anything swollen around the mouth makes me very nervous something might decide to head south and close off your ability to breath.

Better safe than sorry.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

25 Sep 2011, 10:15 pm

Willard wrote:
If you're in pain, then you should probably get the shot. I hope your doc took you off that prescription and gave you something different for your sinuses.

This is a little off-topic, but involves a dysfunctional lip and might amuse and help take your mind off your troubles. :D

>>Bill Cosby: The Dentist<<

that was sooo funny! I loved the part about walking on his butt and I kinda talk like that right now.
thanx

Jojo

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 10:28 pm

EmiliaL wrote:
In your situation I would probably go to the ER.

You haven't said your throat is closing, but having anything swollen around the mouth makes me very nervous something might decide to head south and close off your ability to breath.

Better safe than sorry.

It started getting better, but mom says that if my tongue swells we are going to the ER.
I wanted her to take me, but she had already taken her anxiety meds and couldnt drive, but it was not bad enough to warrent an ambulance, unless my tongue started swelling, which it never did. Yes I discontuned the antibiotic, but since I only had 3 pills out of 20 when this started, the doc decided to end the antibiotics. I cant take mold based antibiotics either, so I am tricky to treat.

Anyway, I wished I could have gone to the ER because it really was sore and the oral benadryl did very little for it, but my mom has such severe anxiety problems that she had to take her meds that morning which meant she could not drivefor several hours. I think the antibiotics are leaving my system, so I should be okay. Mom stayed up all night watching over me while I slept to make sure I didn't stop breathing.

thanx soo much,

Jojo