Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Greatsharkbite
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 3:24 pm

.. you're extremely stressed. Like being hugged, etc.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 3:29 pm

I never like being touched, but especially not when I'm stressed. It turns me from a stressed out person into a raging psychopath.

backagain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Sep 2011, 3:34 pm

Touching makes things worse. Had a haircut today and other than hating yet another Kentucky haircut, the touching and proximity of another person for that long puts me in such an aggravated state that I was on the verge of tears and could have smashed something. I don't even go to doctors anymore and don't go for haircuts often preferring to hack it up myself.

flower33
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Sep 2011, 3:50 pm

I don't like touching that much anyway, and I hate touching when I'm stressed, except from my son, and a good strong hug from hubby. But I'll be ready to slap someone if there's any light touching.
Of course, I'm always ready to cry after a haircut, but that's just cause I have to get used to the change.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 4:18 pm

Big fat no.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Sep 2011, 4:41 pm

I generally do not like to be touched unless it is from my family.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 4:45 pm

Nope. Especially when stressed...

HANDS OFF OR I'LL BITE YOU! :evil:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 5:00 pm

If its by the right person and done correctly, absolutely, holding me tightly when I'm upset helps a huge amount with me coping.

Light touch, unexpected touch, someone I don't trust to cry into their shoulders, no, but a strong hug by someone I'll cry to, yep.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 5:02 pm

Today I was particularly stressed and had started crying as a result.
The person I was with put their hand on my knee - presumably to "comfort" me. Well it had entirely the opposite effect. Fortunately I was still "with it" enough to pick their hand up and remove it rather than go completely nuts. I then removed myself from the situation. Go me! See how together I was?? I really impressed myself today. That doesn't happen often.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 5:04 pm

Not showering has it's advantages. :lol:

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 5:05 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Big fat no.

Big fat steaming electrified no. :lol:

backagain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Sep 2011, 10:15 pm

Years ago at a temp job that I had for months, with a company that had asked me to interview for a really good paying permanent position I got some insulting and bad news. The supervisor came and told me that since I had a bankruptcy in my past, there was no point in me interviewing after all (humiliating to say the least). She must have been informed that she should not have told me that, because she came and told me they would interview me (only so I could not sue them for not considering me for those reasons.
I got upset, was sitting and typing trying not to cry, I guess everyone could tell, the one woman I could not stand came and put her hands on my shoulders, firmly, bent down, her mouth to my ear and whispered loudly in a harsh tone, that I needed to keep it together and maybe I should go to the bathroom and calm down. This woman was a temp also, with much lower level responsibilities than I, and well, she is lucky I didn't knock her down.

What is with people and all the touching anyway? I would even eat lunch with that woman, why do people think the touching is good?
I personally think it's a power thing much of the time.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 10:21 pm

Not when I'm stressed. When I'm to the point of overload, a hug can be too much. A hand on the shoulder when I'm not prepared can be too much.

I think being transgender helps things a little. Before I transitioned, when I was assumed to be a girl, my female friends were always like "oh poor you, here, have a hug." Now that I'm assumed male, it happens less often.

But it seems to come in waves for me. When I'm relaxed and not overloaded, I can handle touch. Sometimes I want a hug from someone, but that's mostly because I've learned that if they're willing to hug you, that means they probably like you. So I want the hug for what it means, and not so much for the physical sensation.

Another example of liking a touch just for what it means is when other guys give me a manly clasp on the shoulder. I like the whole 'you're one of the guys' that I've learned this implies. So I like that touch for what it means and not so much for how it feels. It's more like I'm willing to put up with the physical touch just to get the meaning.

Of course, I'd like it a lot better if people just said "You're my friend, I like you." or, "Dude you're one of the guys." But people seem to communicate quite a bit through non-verbals, unfortunately.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 10:27 pm

Tuttle wrote:
If its by the right person and done correctly, absolutely, holding me tightly when I'm upset helps a huge amount with me coping.

Light touch, unexpected touch, someone I don't trust to cry into their shoulders, no, but a strong hug by someone I'll cry to, yep.

^ This.
It really just depends on who it is.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 10:34 pm

I don't normally like being touched without permission and touching me when i'm stressed does not help either. I will run away if you try to hug me.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

29 Sep 2011, 11:01 pm

a touch, expecially an unexpected one while stressed makes me rabid.
I used to bite those who touched me or set me off by yelling or some other sensory issue, now I just remove myself before nutting up, sometimes I just go from 0 to b*tch in 0.03 seconds flat. I hate it when I do that I always feel bad.

Jojo