pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 3:34 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:

Here I will give you a grown up response but I fear I am throwing it away cuz you never respond only squawk.
The Idea that increasing taxes make revenues go down is called the Laffer curve.
The Idea is when the tax rate is 0% or 100% tax revenue is 0.
because it is 0 and both end and greater than 0 in the middle it must be a curve of some sort.
Laffer thought we were on the descending side of it so any decrease in tax rate would make an increase in revenue.
This is what I say the curve is based on expected returns i.e. how much more money will you make next year if I let you keep your money this year follow?
So the Laffer curve is based on expected returns or growth rate of the economy.
turns out if you expected profit is very high like 100% or more the optimal tax rate ends up being about 11%
this fits so well with visagrunts idea about corporate tax rates because companies can sometime turn profits like that.
People on the other hand salary-slaves like you and me can are lucky if we can make 5% on the market
and sadly when your expected profit is that low the optimal tax rate approaches 100% 8O
meaning that investment income is not that important to protect.

about the regulation kinda a vague argument there kiddo which regulation?
lets get to brass tacks not magic bogeyman
regulation bad.
Obama bad.
hulk smash.
is not really an argument now is it?

That explains why government revenues went up when Bush LOWERED taxes.

The problem we are having is that all these people are out of work and thus aren't paying taxes, you are proposing we raise taxes on the small business owners and somehow that will encourage them to hire more people, when that will actually cause the opposite.

I knew I was throwing pearls before swine. :oops:
I bolded the part that had nothing to do with what I said.
as to the other stupid things you said I will answer with a chart.
I know you are not honest enough to respond to it but everyone else will get a chuckle.

You forgot the effects that ENRON and 9/11 had on the market.

Are you now seeking to contradict your previous statement?

The Charming Inuyasha wrote:

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 3:37 pm

pandabear wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:

Here I will give you a grown up response but I fear I am throwing it away cuz you never respond only squawk.
The Idea that increasing taxes make revenues go down is called the Laffer curve.
because it is 0 and both end and greater than 0 in the middle it must be a curve of some sort.
Laffer thought we were on the descending side of it so any decrease in tax rate would make an increase in revenue.
This is what I say the curve is based on expected returns i.e. how much more money will you make next year if I let you keep your money this year follow?
turns out if you expected profit is very high like 100% or more the optimal tax rate ends up being about 11%
this fits so well with visagrunts idea about corporate tax rates because companies can sometime turn profits like that.
People on the other hand salary-slaves like you and me can are lucky if we can make 5% on the market
and sadly when your expected profit is that low the optimal tax rate approaches 100% 8O

regulation bad.
Obama bad.
hulk smash.

The problem we are having is that all these people are out of work and thus aren't paying taxes, you are proposing we raise taxes on the small business owners and somehow that will encourage them to hire more people, when that will actually cause the opposite.

I know you are not honest enough to respond to it but everyone else will get a chuckle.

Are you now seeking to contradict your previous statement?

The Charming Inuyasha wrote:

Nope, because the chart is Federal Revenues as a % of GDP, and GDP is not a fixed variable. So nice try.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 3:41 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:

regulation bad.
Obama bad.
hulk smash.

that explains why government revenues went up when Bush LOWERED taxes

Is that what I forgot? :lol: :lol:
So should I take the fact that you quoted your own contradiction as an admission that
you know you are wrong?

Revenue went Down actually didn't it. :oops:
The other chuckle in the chart is the revenues did not increase under Reagan either :oops:
But they did under Clinton weird.
But spending did.
But keep on lying little buddy it makes your side look great. :lol:

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 3:47 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:

regulation bad.
Obama bad.
hulk smash.

So should I take the fact that you quoted your own contradiction as an admission that
you know you are wrong?

The other chuckle in the chart is the revenues did not increase under Reagan either :oops:
But spending did.

Funny when I do some digging I find the opposite:
http://www.heritage.org/research/report ... h-tax-cuts

Look at Chart #2, cause the image won't link over.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 4:02 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:

regulation bad.
Obama bad.
hulk smash.

you know you are wrong?

But spending did.

Oh I think you have misread those are myths the Heritage foundation is trying to create about the bush tax cuts.
<-Joke <-cuz you are slow
Everybody go look at the "paper" essentially what the think tank hack is trying to do
is say tax revenues increased in a year when they actually went down 2006-2007 if you stand on your head
and squint. Actual revenues reported by the same place he claims to have got his say the opposite.
So we have to decide if we trust raw data put in a long range chart
or cooked and cropped data in a short one from a admittedly partisan source.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 4:03 pm

Quote:

LOOL

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 5:40 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:

regulation bad.
Obama bad.
hulk smash.

you know you are wrong?

But spending did.

Oh I think you have misread those are myths the Heritage foundation is trying to create about the bush tax cuts.
Everybody go look at the "paper" essentially what the think tank hack is trying to do
is say tax revenues increased in a year when they actually went down 2006-2007 if you stand on your head
and squint. Actual revenues reported by the same place he claims to have got his say the opposite.

You would have a point, except for the fact, you overlooked a key bit of information that completely destroys your narrative. The Bush tax cuts were signed into law in 2003, and if you look at 2004, the drop in revenue was negligible compared to 2001 to 2003 (results from Enron and 9/11). So 2004 was about the same as 2003, then we see a sharp increase in Government revenues from 2005 to 2007. Then we see a decline in 2008 which is the result of the Housing Bubble bursting.

Your statements of Bush's tax cuts causing a decrease in revenue is operating at the assumption that the tax cuts in question were implimented in 2001, which is two years BEFORE they were signed into law.

So, explain to me why are you counting the decline in revenue before the tax cuts were implimented as proof that the tax cuts caused a drop in revenue?

Care to revise your remarks?

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 6:23 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:

regulation bad.
Obama bad.
hulk smash.

you know you are wrong?

But spending did.

You would have a point, except for the fact, you overlooked a key bit of information that completely destroys your narrative. The Bush tax cuts were signed into law in 2003, and if you look at 2004, the drop in revenue was negligible compared to 2001 to 2003 (results from Enron and 9/11). So 2004 was about the same as 2003, then we see a sharp increase in Government revenues from 2005 to 2007. Then we see a decline in 2008 which is the result of the Housing Bubble bursting.

Your statements of Bush's tax cuts causing a decrease in revenue is operating at the assumption that the tax cuts in question were implimented in 2001, which is two years BEFORE they were signed into law.

So, explain to me why are you counting the decline in revenue before the tax cuts were implimented as proof that the tax cuts caused a drop in revenue?

nope
Read the whole chart tiny partizen

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 6:37 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:

regulation bad.
Obama bad.
hulk smash.

you know you are wrong?

But spending did.

nope
Read the whole chart tiny partizen

I actually did read the chart, and you neglected to mention the inconveinent fact that the Bush Tax cuts were enacted in 2003. The decline we see between 2007 and 2008 are the results of the Housing Bubble bursting not the Bush Tax Cuts.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 6:42 pm

Just the same, the Bush tax cuts couldn't have helped things, considering that the economy was going to hell in a hand basket.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 6:52 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Just the same, the Bush tax cuts couldn't have helped things, considering that the economy was going to hell in a hand basket.

What caused the economy to go to hell in a hand basket is largely the fault of Government... The Community Reinvestment Act forced banks to make loans to people whom couldn't afford said loans.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 6:53 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
I actually did read the chart, and you neglected to mention the inconveinent fact that the Bush Tax cuts were enacted in 2003. The decline we see between 2007 and 2008 are the results of the Housing Bubble bursting not the Bush Tax Cuts.

It is naive to think that you can guess the effect of a policy just considering the few pair of years after it was implemented and ignoring the rest. It is also pretty silly to rush into the conclusion that the (slight) increase in revenue was directly caused by the tax cuts and not other things. What you have here is a double standard. You expect us to consider no other topic than the tax cuts when you talk about the increase. Yet you expect us to consider the Housing crisis and many other external causes when we focus on the drop.

If you actually knew anything at all, you would know that the first thing we do when we read your propaganda article from 2007 'debunking claims' is something along: Why should this have more credibility than JacobVirgil's more updated chart? The second question is, how do we know the increase in revenue wasn't caused by other factors? It could be that (as we know) the world economy was doing very well in those years and that was able to do well despite the tax cuts. Your single article is not really relevant statistically. It may make your radical rigth feel warm in the stomach to read a propaganda article without any critical thinking whatsoever. But for everyone else, we try not to buy stuff that easily.

Of course, we can't really expect much more from you. However, if years after 2005 are not affected at all by the tax cuts, then maybe we should just undo them as they are doing nothing.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 7:04 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

What caused the economy to go to hell in a hand basket is largely the fault of Government... The Community Reinvestment Act forced banks to make loans to people whom couldn't afford said loans.

Those poor banks, forced to take advantage of people. :P
Even if the government did screw up, they meant well. The banks in turn altered mortgage and loan agreements, made blanket foreclosures, often without regarding if the customer was in arrears, or even foreclosed on some people who never even took out a loan!
So forgive me if I'm not particularly sympathetic toward the banking industry.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 7:10 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

It is naive to think that you can guess the effect of a policy just considering the few pair of years after it was implemented and ignoring the rest. It is also pretty silly to rush into the conclusion that the (slight) increase in revenue was directly caused by the tax cuts and not other things. What you have here is a double standard. You expect us to consider no other topic than the tax cuts when you talk about the increase. Yet you expect us to consider the Housing crisis and many other external causes when we focus on the drop.

It disproves the notion that the Bush Tax Cuts caused the recession or caused a decrease in Government Revenue. I largely just used the heritage article to get the date of when the tax cuts were signed into law, which is 2003. The key fact that the tax cuts were in 2003 actually changes the context of the chart JakobVirgil posted. If the tax cuts were in 2001 then there would be an argument for the decline in revenues. However, the tax cuts were not in 2001, they were in 2003, which actually turns the chart into something that supports my stance of the Tax Cuts increasing Government Revenue and helping the economy.

Vexcalibur wrote:
If you actually knew anything at all, you would know that the first thing we do when we read your propaganda article from 2007 'debunking claims' is something along: Why should this have more credibility than JacobVirgil's more updated chart? The second question is, how do we know the increase in revenue wasn't caused by other factors? It could be that (as we know) the world economy was doing very well in those years and that was able to do well despite the tax cuts. Your single article is not really relevant statistically. It may make your radical rigth feel warm in the stomach to read a propaganda article without any critical thinking whatsoever. But for everyone else, we try not to buy stuff that easily.

Nice try, except I was interested in the date of the tax cuts being enacted, and chart #2 in their article. I'm was not all that interested in them arguing why this and that was debunked, I can make up my own mind about things thank you.

Vexcalibur wrote:
Of course, we can't really expect much more from you. However, if years after 2005 are not affected at all by the tax cuts, then maybe we should just undo them as they are doing nothing.

Nice try, but the chart shows that things started going downhill is 2007 to current, things leveled off between 2006 and 2007, but remained in positive territory until 2007 to present and that is the result of the Housing Crisis.

Raising Taxes on anyone in a recession is going to cause a Depression, we saw that when President Hoover made that mistake prior to FDR becoming President.