Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

stripey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2006, 1:39 pm

I posted the original thread for this topic, and i apologize if i have offended anybody, i only wanted to provoke reaction and discussion about the alienation, rejection, isolation at a vulnerable age. I myself became disillusioned and resentful of the world but that anger was focused inwards by cutting myself and attempting suicide.

I just wondered what would happen if that rage was projected externally.

LqdCrct
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Sep 2006, 3:41 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
emp wrote:
TheMachine1 wrote:
The front page seems to include ADHD ,PDD, etc,as part of the forum to.

hmm, yes, damn. I dislike that.

That reminds me of what some one said to Tim_tex in a thread on him looking
for an aspie girl:
mysteriouslyabsent wrote:
You ever dated an apsie women?

You might be in for a nasty shock :lol:

It might be a boring place in you New Aspie Only Order. :)

So what's supposed to be wrong with Aspie girls? Are they so different than Aspie guys?

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2006, 4:28 pm

We bite and claw :P

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

20 Sep 2006, 5:55 pm

LqdCrct wrote:
TheMachine1 wrote:
emp wrote:
TheMachine1 wrote:
The front page seems to include ADHD ,PDD, etc,as part of the forum to.

hmm, yes, damn. I dislike that.

That reminds me of what some one said to Tim_tex in a thread on him looking
for an aspie girl:
mysteriouslyabsent wrote:
You ever dated an apsie women?

You might be in for a nasty shock :lol:

It might be a boring place in you New Aspie Only Order. :)

So what's supposed to be wrong with Aspie girls? Are they so different than Aspie guys?

I think his point is most aspies do not know another aspie in real life much less
a potential mate that is an aspie. I think it would equalily apply to a gay aspie
male thinking another gay aspie male would be his ideal mate when the reality
is only theoretical (aspie on aspie relationship being some how better or easier).

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

20 Sep 2006, 6:04 pm

emp wrote:

It does not make sense for me to start making good points about why everyone here should get a diagnosis -- because that was never my opinion in the first place!!

You are all getting side-tracked responding to things I never said or thought.

Your point was you suggested people should have to jump through a hoop to post.
Most people choose not to jump through that hoop and now their telling you that.

emp
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2006, 11:19 pm

CanyonWind wrote:
Why is a consultation vitally important, but a diagnosis less important?

I never said that a diagnosis is less important!! What is wrong with you people?! Stop inventing statements and attributing them to me!

CanyonWind wrote:
What does a mental health professional know about asperger's that I can't find out for myself?

That is a stupid question. I refuse to answer that.

I quit this thread.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2006, 1:48 am

Umm... wow... there is nothing but bad feeling in this thread, and nothing is getting done or understood better... at least that is my opinion.

Maybe a mod ought to lock it, and we can start over...

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2006, 10:48 am

i think people lose control like that because they there's no copying mechinism for them to deal with whatever it is in there life, normal or not.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2006, 8:53 pm

Callista wrote:
Umm... wow... there is nothing but bad feeling in this thread, and nothing is getting done or understood better... at least that is my opinion.

Maybe a mod ought to lock it, and we can start over...

I second Callista on that. I'm not a mod (anymore), but I do have the skill of recognizing trouble threads that could erupt into a full-blown flame war. Civil and rational discussion is one thing, but this most certainly is not it.

Since when has it ever mattered here whether people are officially diagnosed at all? By only allowing people who have diagnoses (and there's really no way to prove that with the Internet these days) WP would become some sort of "elitist" club. It is supposed to be a resource for people who have been affected by autism spectrum disorders (particularly AS) and their comorbid conditions. By turning away people with comorbid conditions and those who have autistic family members and may need support just as much as people on the spectrum do, we risk alienating a large population of people. This really isn't cool because they have experiences and insights that they can use to help other people.

If you want an all aspie forum and you don't want to have any discussion relating to comorbid conditions, go make your own forum and quit complaining about it here. No one is making you stay. There, now onto some more civilized discussion...

Stripey- It's not your fault the thread got out of hand like that. It happens to almost everyone at one time or another. Personally, I would say it was best if rage was projected and the energy was honed into doing something creative and good. Imagine how the world would be a better place if people were able to take their angry energy out on a paint canvass or in some other way that would create, not destroy.

Featherways- No doubt that there are good reasons for not being diagnosed. As for your friend, could there be any way that his diagnosis of AS would help him not get into trouble for having his medication with him? If it's a prescription drug, then the police shouldn't be able to arrest him, unless they catch him using it illegally. Police do need to do their jobs, but it's a natural reaction for people to panic when they don't know what's going on, even for NTs.

Dalebert- It's very unfortunate that people with AS can feel that superior to NTs... if not more unfortunate than the opposite scenario. Why can't people realize that the difference between AS and NTs are just the way they think? Yes, there are advantages and disadvantages, but neither is wholly better than the other.

I can see why people have extreme aspie pride here, though. Outside, people are often ridiculed for thinking differently and acting differently, so many people see WP (and other AS communities) as a source of safety and being with others like them. In any community where people have a lot in common (especially if they don't have this in common with the outside world), there is a source of pride that develops. Just look at the gay community.

That's it for my civilized discussion. :)

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2006, 12:54 am

The worst forms of crime are the very last forms of crime one would expect aspies to be involved in. It is organized crime such as the Mafiosa and Triads and war crime which requires a great deal of social cooperation or even blind obedience like within tyrannical war cabinets that gave rise to the Gestapo.

Miss_Bluesky
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Sep 2006, 7:02 am

'Scuse me. Listen, some of you may think I've got no right to post here, seeing as I'm only borderline aspie at most and quite possibly just an NT with autistic tendencies. But my brother's autistic, my grandad was autistic, I spend a lot of my free time voulnteerign with disabled kids. What do you have to do to 'qualify' to post here?
I know this might be a bit touchy for some (not all) of you, having an interloper in your midst, but honestly I'm quite confused. It's not always like an 'us and them' situation with NTs towards aspies, you know. Some of us, believe it or not, want to accept you. Are you going to accept us?
Okays, rant over. Just want to know what you think.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2006, 9:38 am

Miss Bluesky- I couldn't agree more with what you're saying on this. You have every right to post here... just as much as anyone who is officially "on the spectrum" and people like you can provide valuable insight about the somewhat enigmatic ways of NTs.

Welcome to WrongPlanet and I hope you enjoy your stay. :)

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2006, 9:45 am

Miss_Bluesky wrote:
'Scuse me. Listen, some of you may think I've got no right to post here, seeing as I'm only borderline aspie at most and quite possibly just an NT with autistic tendencies. But my brother's autistic, my grandad was autistic, I spend a lot of my free time voulnteerign with disabled kids. What do you have to do to 'qualify' to post here?
I know this might be a bit touchy for some (not all) of you, having an interloper in your midst, but honestly I'm quite confused. It's not always like an 'us and them' situation with NTs towards aspies, you know. Some of us, believe it or not, want to accept you. Are you going to accept us?
Okays, rant over. Just want to know what you think.

Trust me, Miss Bluesky, Emp does not speak for all of us! In fact i dont think he/she speaks for any of us, so please don't worry! We're all pretty nice here :wink: :)

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2006, 12:52 pm

Bluesky

I notice that you've been around more autistic people than I have. You probably have some valuable insights, some things I might not have thought of. If everybody had the same background and the same way of looking at the world, there wouldn't be much point in having a forum.

There have been a lot of posts expressing another opinion. Notice that they all came from the same guy. He pops up now and then, like farts in a movie theater.

So go ahead and post.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

22 Sep 2006, 6:18 pm

Sometimes I can imagine it feels like it truly is Us against Them, but for me the reality has been that I was odd and that there were one or two people who thought "He's different, let's make his life miserable". The fact is for my life I had two NT, and so for some people 'Enemy' parents who both had to go through some MAJOR changes to raise me. I am their first child, and so my constant rantings and not liking change unless I was doing the changing for them just meant that I was extremely difficult. That all changed when ny sister started growing up.

Also, almost, oh wait, ALL of my friends are NT, and I've got about 15 or 20 of them. I'm not sure if this is just a case of New Zealand school kids being more accepting than those elsewhere, but I can see where a life of pure abuse can lead to the beleif that NT's are all bad. As these boards show, they're not. In fact, during my life, I always thought I was 'normal', and that I was just having a little bit of trouble, so the switch to knowing I had Asperger's was for me extremely easy.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2006, 9:52 pm

Gotta qualify what I said. emp often provides worthwhile insights, stuff that makes a lot of sense once he points it out, stuff I hadn't realized. He gets carried away sometimes, but so do I.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina