Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

stripey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2006, 5:11 am

Has anyone ever noticed that these homicidal shootings where the gunman goes on shooting rampages, is often described as a loner and obsessed with something.Could these people have AS and not know about it,most of the time it is commited by young people who cannot fit into the mainstream.As young adults many AS people realise they do not fit in and generally selfharm,attempt suicide,bouts of depression e.t.c.What are your thoughts?

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 5:23 am

I can definitely see how someone who has been consistently misunderstood, humiliated and rejected in their lives can become bitter and twisted, and this happens a lot to aspies! There are always extreme examples of any scenario somewhere. It's probably inevitable that some of these extreme cases result in tragedy.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

19 Sep 2006, 5:32 am

Well asperger is rare less than 1%.

People who murder hmm maybe 0.01 %

I think its natural to have violent thoughts if your unhappy. Its very rare that people
kill.

emp
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 6:39 am

I have seen a number of posts now where it seems to me that some people here have a tendency to think that anyone unusual or outcast is probably Aspy. Nonsense.

Speaking of that topic, bah, half the people using this forum are probably not Aspergers, despite what they think. I suspect we have many non-Aspy outcasts here, or non-Aspy people experiencing social or dating difficulties. Personally, I think that if you have never had a consultation with a psychologist who specializes in Aspergers, then you should not be posting in WrongPlanet beyond getting initial information/assistance.

Last edited by emp on 19 Sep 2006, 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 6:41 am

there are lots of factors in what makes people loners. I generally blame lack of family or family support in cases of killers. Or undiagnosed mental illness. Even the kids of Littleton, CO seemed to kids left to their own devices.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 6:54 am

emp wrote:
I have seen a number of posts now where it seems to me that some people here have a tendency to think that anyone unusual or outcast is probably Aspy. Nonsense.

Speaking of that topic, bah, half the people using this forum are probably not Aspergers, despite what they think. I suspect we have many non-Aspy outcasts here, or non-Aspy people experiencing social or dating difficulties. Personally, I think that if you have never had a consultation with a psychologist who specializes in Aspergers, then you should not be posting in WrongPlanet beyond getting initial information/assistance.

The front page seems to include ADHD ,PDD, etc,as part of the forum to.

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 6:56 am

I don't think they all are. maybe something like one or two of them. I have heard storys of people shooting with no social problems. i think its been suggested before that AS causes people to do this but you cannot tell if it is AS from just those two things and not all AS people would do it...most wouldn't

emp
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 7:21 am

TheMachine1 wrote:

hmm, yes, damn. I dislike that.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 7:32 am

emp wrote:
TheMachine1 wrote:

hmm, yes, damn. I dislike that.

That reminds me of what some one said to Tim_tex in a thread on him looking
for an aspie girl:
mysteriouslyabsent wrote:
You ever dated an apsie women?

You might be in for a nasty shock :lol:

It might be a boring place in you New Aspie Only Order. :)

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 9:01 am

Aside from other problems with this approach, not everyone can or should see a psychologist. And psychologists are not always any better qualified to understand autism than anyone else. I've even noticed more than one autism "expert," considered seriously to be experts in their fields internationally, who really knew very little about what autism really was, and had only memorized large amounts of information on it without understanding any of the information.

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 9:42 am

emp wrote:

I'm sorry, but if people find they are having problems, and that people on here understand those problems and maybe can even help, where is the harm in those people posting, whether they have been diagnosed or not?

And also, usually the best experts on autism are those who have it themselves, not the 'professionals.'

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 10:18 am

emp

You post to say people who haven't been diagnosed shouldn't post, but your profile says you're undiagnosed.

Thats too wierd to even piss me off.

anbuend

I've had the same impression of "experts" who only menorize and repeat stuff they don't understand. Its particularly ironic, since they say that's all we're capable of, like that aspie economist who recently won a nobel prize for memorizing stuff he didn't understand, and Albert Einstein.

A lot of zoos have signs in front of the elephant exhibit saying that an elephant's trunk has 40,000 muscles. A guy who studies elephant anatomy got to wondering where that came from, since he had never heard of anybody even attempting to estimate how many muscles there are in an elephant's trunk - there are a lot. He tried to track it down and came up blank.

Apparantly somebody at some zoo made that up and put up a sign, and professionals from other zoos saw it and said, "wow, thats interesting," and put up their own signs at their own zoos, and the same thing kept happening, and now it's at zoos all over, educating the public, and the expert professionals think it's a well established fact because they keep hearing it.

I think a lot of "expert" information about asperger's and autism came about the same way.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 11:20 am

CanyonWind wrote:

emp

You post to say people who haven't been diagnosed shouldn't post, but your profile says you're undiagnosed.

Thats too wierd to even piss me off.

:lol:

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 11:45 am

emp wrote:

I'm in agreement with you on this. I thought that me agreeing with you could never happen, but at first it seems to be the case with this statement. After that you lost me.

I'm one of those evil people who has chosen to not be diagnosed. At my age what would be the point, since I have no need of assistance from the various social entitlement options available to people with "disabilities"? Other than peace of mind, for internal assurance, affirmation, I can't see what a more specific professional diagnosis could possibly offer me. Any extra health budget funds in my family will go towards making life a little more manageable for my 2 PDD kids, who HAVE been diagnosed and are continously evaluated at their age. You can think I'm riding along on their "glory" if you want.

I also don't feel the need to justify my presence to anyone. I've done that my whole life and I'm over it. If you want to play "splash" in the water, you go ahead. I'll just continue to float for a while.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 12:28 pm

emp wrote:
Personally, I think that if you have never had a consultation with a psychologist who specializes in Aspergers, then you should not be posting in WrongPlanet beyond getting initial information/assistance.

What? You're going to pay for it? I'd sure appreciate it. :roll:

Hazelwudi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 1:41 pm

emp wrote:

I disagree. I'm a thesis away from getting a master's degree in psych, and I know damned full well what's wrong with me. I've coped well, all things considered, but I'm still "on the spectrum" as you would say.

I don't want paperwork following me around through life, attesting that I have what NT's consider a critical, largely irreparable defect... which is precisely how they consider all which falls under the label of Pervasive Developmental Disorder.

Unless basic logic is utterly foreign to you, it shouldn't be difficult for you to see the rationale behind my decision, yes?