Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

03 Oct 2011, 11:03 pm

I try very, very hard to like his films. I want to like the guy. I want to enjoy his films.

But I can't enjoy them. I don't know why. I just don't see anything great about them. They're just boring and mindless to me, which is contrast to everyone else who watches them and enjoys the characters, the style, the pacing, etc.

I don't know. I feel so out of place when everyone mentions his movies as pinnacles of filmmaking.

But that's just my thoughts. Obviously, I'm a minority and he is a highly regarded director/writer to many film lovers across the globe.

Anyways....What about you? Do you like or dislike Quentin Tarantino films? Why

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 11:53 pm

I've only seen the 1st four movies and found all of them interesting, but only really love one of them; Jackie Brown.

For the most part, while I find them facinating, they are also just plain hard to watch. The violence and sociopathy are gut wrenching and yes, there's little to empathize with.

So, what's facinating? The interactions of wildly original, over the top sociopathic characters. Being aquainted with a few sociopaths in real life, sometimes I wonder what would happen if Kristin were to interact with Gia ... well that's what a Tarrantino movie is; seeing that played out on the screen. There's a certain amount of satisfaction in that. Except many Tarrintino characters are smarter and more interesting than Kristin & Gia, so the dialog is memorable.

And there are the odd horrific, can't-take-your-eyes-off-them characters; GoGo, TheGimp, Beatrix.

But, have you seen Jackie Brown? It's one of my top 10 all time favorite movies. If you have and aren't impressed, let me know and I'll elaborate. If you haven't, see it and let me know what you think.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 11:58 pm

I got some enjoyment out of Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown, but everything since then has left me utterly baffled and wondering just what in the hell the critics were raving about. He doesn't make movies, he simply films himself masturbating to the movies he grew up on.

Seventh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Oct 2011, 12:21 am

Tarantino is seriously overrated!!

There are so many amazing filmmakers out there. Why force yourself to like one that you don't like?

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 10:25 am

The only Tarantino film I ever liked was Kill Bill, the rest of them like Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Bastards I never really cared for.

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 10:59 am

Some filmmakers just aren't for everybody, no matter how many awards they've won or how many supporters they have praising them. I know Ingmar Bergman and Federico Fellini are highly respected international directors (note that I have know problems with foreign films whatsoever), but there are a number of their films I tried to watch that I just absolutely lost interest in. Seventh Seal and 8 1/2 are among the most critically acclaimed films of all time, but they just don't registar as awesome films with me. To confess, with 8 1/2, I got bored after 20 minutes and just fast-forwarded the DVD to the end just to see what happened.

It's a proven fact that there is no film ever made or will be made that will make everyone in the world happy, and I suppose given the variety of styles out there the same can be said for directors.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 11:11 am

That's a shame. I like his movies.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 12:21 pm

Jory wrote:
I got some enjoyment out of Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown, but everything since then has left me utterly baffled and wondering just what in the hell the critics were raving about. He doesn't make movies, he simply films himself masturbating to the movies he grew up on.

You type that as if it were a bad thing... :lol:

That is his M.O. but as someone who grew up watching the same movies, I don't mind that much. :oops: