Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Halligeninseln
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2011, 11:33 am

I have a first appointment at the local Autism centre next week. I found myself running through the planned conversation in my head the whole time and couldn't concentrate properly on other things, so I decided to make a list of reasons why I think I have Asperger's or some form of ASD. So far I've listed 87 (eighty-seven ! !! !! !! !) things, though there may be some duplication.

The next thing is to group them according to diagnostic criteria.

Then I can just read them out in the consultation. The only trouble is it will take at least an hour to read them out and I'm not sure you get that much time.

Any idea what I might face at the consultation? I'm feeling nervous.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 11:46 am

For my diagnoses last year I did a lot of tests, 26 in total also to exclude some other disorders. Now my psychologist is trying that I get financiell support, cos I'm not able to work properly (due to overloads, concentrationproblems, anxieties eg.) and she told me, that they might ask me, why I haven't been diagnosed in childhood. So I searched some articles in the internet about why girls/ women often remain undiagnosed in order to show them. She told me, it's not a good idea, because NT-people might interpret it as me trying to play autistic. She told me just to be the way I am.

Halligeninseln
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2011, 2:07 pm

Thanks for your reply.

The reason I didn't get diagnosed in childhood is because I'm 57 years old and Asperger's wasn't looked for in children at all at that time. I'm concerned they won't take me seriously, so I decided to draw up this list with every possible thing I could think of supporting a diagnosis. Since I've had 57 years in which to malfunction in there are plenty of things to write down. I can't imagine what on earth I've got if it's not some form of ASD, unless they invent some new syndrome just for me, which seems conceptually uneconomical (Ockham's Razor and all that).

Last edited by Halligeninseln on 05 Oct 2011, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 2:42 pm

Well, a literal mind is a sign of aspergers. As soon as I clicked on this thread I imagined a road sign printed with "ASPERGERS NEXT LEFT."