Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you hear the lyrics when you listen to songs?
Yes, all of them! 21%  21%  [ 9 ]
Most of them 21%  21%  [ 9 ]
Some 33%  33%  [ 14 ]
Lyrics? What lyrics? 24%  24%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 42

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 10:47 pm

In most songs I hear the music, and that's what draws me to a song.

Some musical theatre songs though, when the actors are REALLY acting, I'll hear the words.

Music is my language. If the world communicated through music only, I'd be a lot more comfortable.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

Swordfish210
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Oct 2011, 4:17 am

The music is what draws me to a song. When I like that, I download it and listen to it over and over again, and still then I have to look up the lyrics to be able to know what they are singing.

Sherlock Holmes in The Sign Of Four (1890), ch. 6

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2011, 6:49 am

I don't naturally listen to the lyrics when listening to songs. I more listen to the overall atmosphere of the song, with occasional interesting things catching my attention, like some beautiful melody or a guitar solo. This can be annoying if the song gets stuck in my head and I find myself singing along to it in what are most definitely not the lyrics.

I don't generally mind it, though, since 90+% of all lyrics are boring crap to me. It's rare that I look up lyrics, and even rarer that I actually like them. This despite that I absolutely love music and good portion of it has vocals.

I have noticed though, that if I actually conciously try to pay attention to the vocals and lyrics, I'm not too good at making out the words. I'm worse at it in my native language than english, though.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2011, 8:33 am

I definitely have trouble with lyrics (and the auditory processing disorder sure doesn't help), which is somewhat worrysome because music is my life :wink:

I'm in a band, and my bandmates keep telling me I should sing more backup vocals, and I'm like "Uh...maybe if you send me the lyrics in an email or something..." :x

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2011, 8:39 am

I choose my music according to lyrics. It just so happens that The Kinks also have a sound that I like but when I listen to music, I go for the lyrics. That's why I like the music from the Mid to Late 60s - 1964 to 1969. I'd also like to say that I'm a Mod, and not a hippie even though I like some music from the Hippie Era.

abc123
Toucan
Toucan

06 Oct 2011, 11:43 am

I can either hear it or I can't no matter how much I listen to it. I would say I was worse than NT. If I can't I would have to look up the lyrics online and sometimes then still can't hear it.
Once I have the lyrics written down I can learn them and hold them in my memory for years even though I generally have a terrible memory.

Something like Radiohead or the Manic Street Preachers is hard because of the emphasis, but I have learnt a lot of lyrics.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2011, 4:05 pm

Until I made a concerted effort to listen to different parts of songs (i.e. follow the lyrics, follow the bass, follow the lead guitar etc.), I almost never heard the lyrics. I'd make out a few words here and there, but overall I knew songs based on the melody.

It still takes me a while to figure out the lyrics, even though I've trained myself to hone in on them (meaning I have to listen to the song over and over and over.....) In the end, I still hear tend to hear some of the words wrong (or just hear a blur of vocals that I can't make out).

Love transcends all.