Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 10:51 pm

Gedrene wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
I have no time for this paranoid fatalism or anyone who professes it.

Do you expect to live forever?

ruveyn

Do you expect to live in fear?

It's not fear, it's acceptance. Once you accept the fact that your life is finite, like "mostly" everything down there, you may have some peace of mind. And you might be able to die with fewer regrets.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 7:38 am

I don't think the extinction of the human race is certain.
Do we know for certain that this universe will not continue eternally, or that there are not other universes to which we might relocate? If humans manage to survive long enough to achieve space travel, end disease, etc., then I don't see why we must necessarily become extinct.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 8:45 am

YippySkippy wrote:
Do we know for certain that this universe will not continue eternally, or that there are not other universes to which we might relocate? If humans manage to survive long enough to achieve space travel, end disease, etc., then I don't see why we must necessarily become extinct.

Eventually our species will be gone and there is no escaping that. The other stars are much too far away that we can relocate. That thought makes for good science fiction, but there is little fact to support it.

ruveyn

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 9:23 am

ruveyn wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:

Eventually our species will be gone and there is no escaping that. The other stars are much too far away that we can relocate. That thought makes for good science fiction, but there is little fact to support it.

ruveyn

we are still stupid as hell, if we hit the singularity there is no telling what might happen.

other than that thermodynamics predicts the ultimate end to be the heat death of the universe, at that point humans would definately be gone.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 10:13 am

phil777 wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
I have no time for this paranoid fatalism or anyone who professes it.

Do you expect to live forever?

ruveyn

Do you expect to live in fear?

It's not fear, it's acceptance. Once you accept the fact that your life is finite, like "mostly" everything down there, you may have some peace of mind. And you might be able to die with fewer regrets.

I don't expect to live forever.
The point I was making that letting the ineveitability of something poison your mind and selfishly claim a fatalistic attitude that centres around your life, and the destruction that will occur in it, is the cheif cause of any poison in this world rather than any other actual reason.

It is basically the stupidity of self-fulfilling prophecies.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 10:37 am

ruveyn wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:

ruveyn

They aren't too far away at all. True, they are far, but not impossibly so by any stretch of the imagination. A craft travelling at the speed of light can reach Alpha centauri in several years. The very idea of the speed of light might soon be changed however thanks to the scientific results as of late that showed neutrinos breaking the light-speed barrier.

If we can harness the method of travel by which these neutrinos move, then who right now knows how fast we can go in a powered transport? People are testing fission power and prodding with superlight speed. It is as if we have just realized the heliocentric system and swept ourselves on the road to the universe.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 3:07 pm

Poke wrote:
Our species--rather, ALL species--will one day cease to exist.

One day, the whole game will be absolutely and irrevocably over.

Every achievement of mankind, every bit of knowledge, every good deed, will eventually fade away like a summer's rose.

In the meantime, we're just playing in a sandbox.

I suspect that humans will be around for quite a long time though, judging by the fact that we've managed to reach over 6 billion in numbers and have already caused many other species to become extinct rather than them impinging on our existence. We'll most likely last much longer than the average lifespan of most other mammal species. Regardless, our extinction won't happen in my either my lifetime or yours, so it's best we not worry about it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 4:16 pm

Jono wrote:
Poke wrote:

Every achievement of mankind, every bit of knowledge, every good deed, will eventually fade away like a summer's rose.

I suspect that humans will be around for quite a long time though, judging by the fact that we've managed to reach over 6 billion in numbers and have already caused many other species to become extinct rather than them impinging on our existence. We'll most likely last much longer than the average lifespan of most other mammal species. Regardless, our extinction won't happen in my either my lifetime or yours, so it's best we not worry about it.

The shelf life of mammalian species is not all that long.

ruveyn

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 4:32 pm

Poke wrote:

"Eventually"?

There are great wrongs and rights committed YESTERDAY that have since been forgotten.

I'll refer to the one sensical thing the Hebrew Bible says:

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten." Ecclesiastes 9:5

to his Interest."