Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 2:55 am

I am now, I didn't know how to three and more years ago.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2011, 4:28 am

Dots wrote:
I'm not unintentionally rude, but that's because as a child, politeness was drilled into me. I got in huge trouble just for forgetting to say please or thank you. And it was drilled over and over. So I'm now a polite person.

This.

Then I became a depressed teen & dropped it. Lately though I've taken to doing this again (lots of thank yous) because I think that it really makes the other person look like a jerk when they start in on someone acting overly polite.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 7:37 am

There are tons of people with AS I know that would be considered "shy yet polite". It goes either way.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 8:25 am

I am very polite but i can't lie... like if someone would ask me.. does this make me look fat(and if it does) i'll just be polite and say YES IT DOES.

and if someone says something stupid, i won't neglect it but i'll point it out to them.

Aspie score: 182-200

Don't know what to say.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 8:25 am

I'm extremely polite, "please" and "thank you" are almost the most common words out of my mouth (right behind f--- and s---). Usually it's the content of what I say, rather than how I say it, that offends people.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 10:56 am

I am very polite and formal most of the time. The times that I feel the need to speak up are when someone is saying something untrue or incorrect. Sometimes doing so is seen as rude.

TheBrain
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Oct 2011, 11:16 am

I find that people think that I am the most polite person that they've met, but I don't think that is what "they" are talking about. It's is when we comment on something that "apparently" shouldn't be comment on. It's not a lack of grace, but an inability decipher what is taboo.

Last edited by TheBrain on 14 Oct 2011, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

dreamatron
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Oct 2011, 4:56 pm

I'm a polite Aspie :)

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 8:27 am

TheBrain wrote:
I find that people think that I am the most polite person that they've met, but I don't think that is what "they" are talking about. It's is when we comment on something that "apparently" shouldn't comment on. It's no a lack of grace, but an inability decipher what is taboo.

This is a much better worded version of what I was trying to say.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 9:37 am

Dots wrote:
Temple Grandin talks about how children who grew up in the 50s and 60s were expected to be polite and the politeness rules were much clearer back then, every family had pretty much the same rules. She thinks it's harder for people on the spectrum who grow up now, because family politeness rules aren't taught as much.

Yes the politeness rules were clear and consistent when I was a child in the 50s and 60s. But in secondary school there was a counter-culture of rudeness....it was a larger school than the early ones, so we weren't watched so closely, and if you didn't show you were a bit of a roughneck, you'd likely get bullied. So then I needed 2 masks. But even that didn't work. I brought a couple of fights onto myself by insulting bullies.

These days I go for an overall courteous and respectful approach, with a dash of earthy vernacular just to stop it getting too robotic and inhibited. There is a kind of refreshing quality to a bit of rudeness, I think, if it's done with care. Thinks can get so politically correct you just know it's fake, and a good raspberry at the right time can really cheer everybody up. I seem to be seen as a polite guy, on the whole. I find it a lot more fun to try to make people feel good, than to piss them off.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 10:17 pm

I am sometimes unintentionally inappropriate (it helps that I don't talk much) but never intentionally rude.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 7:19 am

I learned very early that good social graces were a way to mitigate the effects of poor social skills.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 7:30 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
I learned very early that good social graces were a way to mitigate the effects of poor social skills.

Exactly. I am also hyper empathetic so if I unintentionally make someone feel bad I can feel their pain.