Tips for dealing with mother's quilts?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

scmnz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2011, 9:22 pm

My mom quilts allot, theres at least one quilt on just about every wall. They drive me crazy, because they aren't symetrical. The colors are random, and the patterns don't complete themselves. My mom loves quilting, and i don't want to take that away from her. Any ideas on how i can manage this while leaving the quilts where they are?

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 9:57 pm

All I can say is try not to think about them, sorry.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 10:06 pm

Interesting. I have the opposite problem. I can't stand symmetry, but I need balance. I prefer patterns that appear at first to be random, but upon closer inspection reveal careful placement of random patterns and colors that create balance.

Maybe I should say that the balance isn't seen on close inspection, but rather stepping back enough to see the bigger picture.

Not sure what to tell you other than...

Let it go.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 10:39 pm

Look at the quilts from a different angle and appreciate the talent and time that goes into each quilt.

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 10:40 pm

I think the problem escalates because you don't want to hurt your mother's feelings. Does she know about your condition, does she accept it?
If yes, then try to talk about it to her grand apologetically. That way she'll be able to handle it, and hopefully the quilts will look less painful. Take it from there.
If not, please explain the situation in a little detail. Thanks for reading :)

Aaod
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Oct 2011, 11:12 pm

One idea I have is to get involved with it yourself and see if you can make a quilt of all one color or with two colors as opposed to multiple colors. You would then be able to see the order and precision in the stitches and the work that goes in to them plus you could use that as an example of a quilt you like in your mind so that not all quilts would be bad.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 12:28 am

I can relate. I like to live in an uncluttered light environment. Even interesting spaces, which are made small and dark with dark or heavy walls, are cloying to me.

Do you have your own bedroom? If so, then perhaps you can make it very spare and clean as an antidote to the rest of the house.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 9:40 am

I think you have to accept the quilts. You shouldn't step on someone else's passion. Try to make the quilts more acceptable to you - maybe play visual/mental games and find some form of symmetry amongst all the quilts.