Do Not Occupy Wall Street; Occupy Church Instead!

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 9:07 pm

Fnord wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
Occupiers are not very bright but the whole occupy church idea is non-sense.

Is it any more nonsensical than...

... having unmarketable skills and expecting businesses to hire you anyway?

... believing that giving 10% of your gross weekly pay to someone in a glorified bathrobe will somehow buy you a place in heaven?

... getting angry because someone in or from a foreign country can do your former job faster, cheaper, and better than you ever could?

... getting arrested for illegally occupying the offices of a potential employer, and then blaming that employer for not hiring you because of your police record?

Yes, it is definitely more nonsensical than that.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 9:13 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
Occupiers are not very bright but the whole occupy church idea is non-sense.

Is it any more nonsensical than...

... having unmarketable skills and expecting businesses to hire you anyway?

... believing that giving 10% of your gross weekly pay to someone in a glorified bathrobe will somehow buy you a place in heaven?

... getting angry because someone in or from a foreign country can do your former job faster, cheaper, and better than you ever could?

... getting arrested for illegally occupying the offices of a potential employer, and then blaming that employer for not hiring you because of your police record?
Yes, it is definitely more nonsensical than that.

Well, then ... I guess I won't be seeing you in church tomorrow, eh?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 9:14 pm

Fnord are you....evangelizing?

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 9:25 pm

Fnord wrote:
But turn them loose in a place like the Crystal Cathedral, and they'll be shoulder-to-shoulder with dozens of Orange County millionaires, in addition to being in close proximity to the Schuller family, which has been siphoning off funds from the collection plate for the last half-century.

The Crystal Cathedral went bankrupt last year. I thought they were out of business?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 11:36 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Not for Christianity, if that's what you mean. If only some of those "Occupy Wall Street" people hated religion as much as I do...

pandabear wrote:
Fnord wrote:
But turn them loose in a place like the Crystal Cathedral, and they'll be shoulder-to-shoulder with dozens of Orange County millionaires, in addition to being in close proximity to the Schuller family, which has been siphoning off funds from the collection plate for the last half-century.
The Crystal Cathedral went bankrupt last year. I thought they were out of business?

They're still going through bankruptcy hearings, the Schullers are still on the payroll, and they're still raking it in like crooked card dealers.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 11:48 pm

Fnord wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Not for Christianity, if that's what you mean. If only some of those "Occupy Wall Street" people hated religion as much as I do...

pandabear wrote:
Fnord wrote:

They're still going through bankruptcy hearings, the Schullers are still on the payroll, and they're still raking it in like crooked card dealers.

I think you may have an ulterior motive.
I think you desire the end of religion so that you don't have to go every sunday. :lol:

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 11:51 pm

Fnord wrote:

Yeah, the world definitely needs more hate.

Was not spoken of the soul.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 11:56 pm

91 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

:lol:

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 12:03 am

Inuyasha wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Oodain wrote:
the occupation has spread to many countries now, denmark too apearantly,
anonymous costumes were worn en masse here for some reason.

I heard the guy fawkes masks were somewhat popular here too in the Occupy Montreal protests

Hope the situation in Canada doesn't end up like the situation in Rome.

~1000 people were involved possibly more here. I recall reading that a lot of people used facebook to organize it and it had an "Attending" list of over 3000. It only started today and as far as I know it hasn't turned violent. Now, if the Canadiens win (or lose) a big hockey game, or someone tries banning poutine and cigarettes, the ensuing Montreal riots would put those OWS posers to shame ;) :P

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 12:39 am

Vigilans wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Oodain wrote:
the occupation has spread to many countries now, denmark too apearantly,
anonymous costumes were worn en masse here for some reason.

I heard the guy fawkes masks were somewhat popular here too in the Occupy Montreal protests

Hope the situation in Canada doesn't end up like the situation in Rome.

~1000 people were involved possibly more here. I recall reading that a lot of people used facebook to organize it and it had an "Attending" list of over 3000. It only started today and as far as I know it hasn't turned violent. Now, if the Canadiens win (or lose) a big hockey game, or someone tries banning poutine and cigarettes, the ensuing Montreal riots would put those OWS posers to shame ;) :P

The Occupy Winnipeg protests were pretty damn peaceful, from what I've heard.

http://winnipeg.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local ... nnipegHome

Then again, Winnipeg has an abnormally calm if not boring political culture (ironic for a city that's the murder capital of Canada).

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 6:57 am

91 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

No the world does not. But religion should be disesteemed because it has brought division, upset, war, violence and death to the world.

Nowadays many terrorist acts are committed by very religious people.

Allah hu akbar! The death cry of the terrorist.

ruveyn

Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 7:26 am

ruveyn wrote:
No the world does not. But religion should be disesteemed because it has brought division, upset, war, violence and death to the world.

Christianity provides us with clear understanding of why the things you mentioned are wrong. Your indignation owes more to religion than you recognize.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 7:42 am

91 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

Christianity provides us with clear understanding of why the things you mentioned are wrong. Your indignation owes more to religion than you recognize.

It owes to my good sense and respect for facts.

Facts are "god".

ruveyn

Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 7:52 am

ruveyn wrote:

Facts are "god".

ruveyn

On your view you basically have to accept relativism or fiat; it seems from your post you have chosen fiat. The statement that you have made falls into the atheistic euthyphro dilemma. If you accept relativism; you put forward a position that does not apply to me. If fiat, then your views are arbitrary. It would be interesting to hear what 'fact' is capable of traversing the great distance from is to ought without falling into a Naturalistic Fallacy.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 9:05 am

So, how was church this morning?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 11:14 am

91 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

Facts are "god".

ruveyn

On your view you basically have to accept relativism or fiat; it seems from your post you have chosen fiat. The statement that you have made falls into the atheistic euthyphro dilemma. If you accept relativism; you put forward a position that does not apply to me. If fiat, then your views are arbitrary. It would be interesting to hear what 'fact' is capable of traversing the great distance from is to ought without falling into a Naturalistic Fallacy.

In the last analysis, the views which govern our lives are arbitrary. But Facts are Facts.

Fact = the actual condition of the world.

Everything is what it is and not something else.

ruveyn