The Genetic Link Between Autism and ADHD

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 10:09 pm

No ADHD here. I don't do well on stimulants, either.

There is a link, though, as there is with dyslexia, which I also don't have.

Just depression and dyspraxia here (which are actually worse problems for me than AS).

dogslife
Toucan
Toucan

08 Nov 2011, 12:16 am

I have major attention issues but I think they are a result of my AS rather than being ADHD in and of itself.

invisiblespectrum
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Nov 2011, 12:45 am

btbnnyr wrote:
They all thought that all her problems would disappear if she just made to-do lists and stuck to a routine. Meanwhile, they all thought that all my problems would disappear if I just stopped sticking to a routine.

That is magnificent.

Maybe you could donate your routine to her.

A while ago I was having a conversation with someone (a professional) about how hard it was for me to focus. Her answer pretty much amounted to, "I know it's hard to focus, but sometimes you really need to anyway." Well, thanks for stating the obvious. I know I need to, now how the hell do I actually do it? :roll:

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 1:56 am

We don't have ASD folk in the family, but 2 known schizophrenics on one side, and one ADDer on the other side.

I caught the ADD from a family member on one side, and some mild form of obsessive personality that my mother had; as she had gotten something from her schizophrenic mother........

Last edited by Mdyar on 13 Nov 2011, 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 2:47 am

It is possible to have both.

They both originate from the same part of the brain.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 8:18 am

I was watching QI the other night and they were talking about the DSM. The host, Stephen Fry (who all UK folks will know is a super intelligent, national treasure, lovely guy) was saying that, if he was a child today, he would probably be diagnosed with ADHD. As far as I know, he's diagnosed bipolar (and made a documentary about it).

Until just over a year ago, I would have said that my daughter's likely diagnosis would have been ADHD, now it's more likely to be AS, but she's maybe missing some factors. As for myself, I don't have a diagnosis, but I tick most of the boxes for both ADHD (inattentive) and AS, but maybe missing some traits of both, making a diagnosis of either tricky.

It seems that they are all connected in some way or maybe the symptoms are similar, with different causes, which can't be determined, causing confusion at the diagnosis stage.

Rhiannon0828
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Nov 2011, 4:04 pm

I've been diagnosed ADHD, but I still suspect that I have AS. It explains a lot that ADHD doesn't. My therapist says he's pretty sure I have AS, but won't commit to a dx yet. We have a few doubts about whether I have ADHD or if its just AS by itself, but it could be both. ADHD just doesn't fit in some ways. My most significant issues are social and executive function.