Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

alexi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2011, 3:08 pm

I have never been treated for speech issues, though have always had some difficulties. My speech can be staggered, doesn't flow naturally. And I have difficulty pronouncing certain words. Most unfortunately I have trouble pronouncing my own first name :roll: , so for the last 10 years have been using a nickname in its place. It is always awkward to explain that my name is not my real name, especially because my real name is such a "normal" name, why would anyone bother to change it?

Do you think this kind of speech difficulty is because of AS? Anyone with related experiences?

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 3:19 pm

Yup. I'm very difficult to understand over the phone for a lot of folks.

I believe it's mild Dyspraxia in my case, but only tends to affect my speech. Oh, yeah. While hitting the backspace key while typing this, I recall that it also affects my typing. I've always been a very slow typist because of it.

Dyspraxia is very commonly co-morbid with Autism.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Madao
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Oct 2011, 12:30 am

Yes, I've experienced the same thing. It's like I see the word in my head but I can't pronounce/speak it. For example I can't say the word 'hospital' without messing it up. It's weird.

Beckula1980
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Oct 2011, 12:38 am

linoleum is super hard. And anatomy used to be hard until I started watching Grey's Anatomy.

loobylou2011
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Oct 2011, 3:59 pm

Yes I have difficulty with speech sometimes, as I have had people tell me that I speak too fast sometimes, plus I find it hard to say 'statistics' as get very tongue-tied and also I find it hard to pronounce one of my medication that I am on for IBS. The medication is called mebeverine but I can never pronounce it right so when I ask for a repeat prescription I sometimes get weird looks because of this.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 11:09 pm

i find the toughest word to say, is the spanish word "refrigerador" - all those trilled R's so close together are too much for me and my reluctantly rhotacistic yankee tongue.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 11:11 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i find the toughest word to say, is the spanish word "refrigerador" - all those trilled R's so close together are too much for me and my reluctantly rhotacistic yankee tongue.

I can't roll R's at all, and I thank God that Brazil doesn't speak Spanish.

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2011, 12:57 am

Sometimes my speech is really good, sometimes I stutter on pretty much every word, sometimes I stagger with my word flow, and when my headache gets really bad I sound like I'm having a stroke. There are some words that trip me up no matter what, though, words that begin with SL, and South are the most common ones- For South I always want to stick an L in there, so it sounds like "Selth" or "Soulth."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 1:24 am

Ganondox wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I can't roll R's at all, and I thank God that Brazil doesn't speak Spanish.

i thought portuguese speakers had to roll their R's also. the brazilian singer agostino dos santos [dubbing over breno mello] trilled his R's singing manha de carnaval below-
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwDYcyqn7DY&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 1:28 am

twich wrote:
Sometimes my speech is really good, sometimes I stutter on pretty much every word, sometimes I stagger with my word flow, and when my headache gets really bad I sound like I'm having a stroke. There are some words that trip me up no matter what, though, words that begin with SL, and South are the most common ones- For South I always want to stick an L in there, so it sounds like "Selth" or "Soulth."

i knew somebody who kept calling the Seinfeld tv comedy program "Steinfeld." i wonder what that particular speech impediment [the inadvertant introjection of syllables/consonants/vowels within a word] is called?

ActingUpAgain
Raven
Raven

24 Oct 2011, 11:48 am

For me, I think my speech has worsened over the years. I've started stuttering and stammering a lot more in the last few years. However, I've also started pushing myself to speak out more in that same amount of time, so I'm sure the two are connected.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 3:57 pm

I have good days and bad days. On a good day I can pronounce Eyjafjallajökull and on a bad day I can't pronounce my name.