Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

kt24
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Oct 2011, 12:21 pm

Need some advice...

Here's the situation. I was diagnosed 6 months ago with AS, but haven't yet told parents.
Next week, going into hospital for operation- hospital know about my AS- and I'm worried that parents will find out from someone at hospital saying something, and then parents getting mad at me for not telling them. Do I tell them first? Do I tell hospital to not say anything? Do I just see what happens?

One thing to add- parents are generally understanding and supportive, and probably have some idea what AS is (though only a little). Also, don't want to make them worry as they already have a lot going on with family matters and mum's a chronic worrier.

Don't know what to do....

ari_
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Oct 2011, 4:28 pm

Hospital workers aren't allowed to reveal any medical information about someone. However, in case of family (especially parents) exceptions are made and even if no one does it on purpose, mistakes are made. And what you said is true, if you know it and don't tell them then they are going to be unhappy about it. From your parents' perspective, the will want to know. And if they are going to find out, you're best bet is to tell it yourself. Then they don't have anything to be mad about (or maybe if you knew this all along, but you can say that you needed to process it first).

If your mother is a chronic worrier, she already has all kinds of doom scenarios in mind. She probably already knows (and has known for a long time) that you were different from a very young age. The only thing that has changed, is that you now know what it is. That makes it easier for you to understand why you are different and what you can do about it (in terms of coping with it). If you're different anyway, better know what it is right? :wink: