Is there anyone who has Aspergers and is also social?

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Are you good with social situations?
Yes 13%  13%  [ 18 ]
No 32%  32%  [ 43 ]
Meh... Sometimes... 54%  54%  [ 73 ]
Total votes : 134

Jordanrooben
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Oct 2011, 1:29 pm

I'm wondering if anyone here is good with social situations. I used to be god-awful in social situations, I would get so scared I literally couldn't talk. Last year, I had to go to public school for the first time and at first I was scared to death, but after a few months it was actually quite easy. Has anyone had an experience like this?

Interested in the advice of a teen with Aspergers? Check out my blog. [url="teenaspergers.blogspot.com"]Articles on coping with Aspergers as a teenager, unique methods of coping with life, emotions, and more.[/url]

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 1:57 pm

I only feel comfortable around people I know but I'm very social with them. I can't go to a place alone and make friends but I could if I was with a friend. I do find social situations tiring sometimes. I like to do things alone a lot but I do enjoy being social to an extent.

babybuggy32
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Oct 2011, 2:21 pm

i as well am comfortable around ppl i know and will sometimes be the center of attention although sometimes i take a joke too far but i can acknowledge it! i am not good with teamwork

silvermoon13
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Oct 2011, 2:53 pm

I am if it's like only 1, 2, or 3 people, but any more than that would be too overwhelming. it's not really a shyness, cuz im definitely not. its just too overwhelming if its too many people at once. can't 'multi task' for lack of better word. Too many people is also tiring. Hard to explain it.

bcousins
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 5:01 pm

Jordanrooben wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone here is good with social situations. I used to be god-awful in social situations, I would get so scared I literally couldn't talk. Last year, I had to go to public school for the first time and at first I was scared to death, but after a few months it was actually quite easy. Has anyone had an experience like this?

First - Welcome to WP

Second, The sig uses [ url ] Tags (without the space, and the same as the A HREF tag. not <a href=""> tags.

Third, Not really social.

ChaunceyGardiner
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Oct 2011, 9:36 am

I can definitely fake it for periods at a time, it can make it really uncomfortable however because the social interaction always ends up exhausting me and then I find excuses to let relationships deteriorate to avoid the stress that goes along with interacting with most NTs.
It's maybe even more frustrating that I can at times build relationships but get way too overwhelmed to actually go out in a social context on any regular basis, as of now I have no solution.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 12:55 pm

I'm social with people I like and know, but not social with anybody else.

autismthinker21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 2:21 pm

Hi, i have asperger's syndrome. i can socialize just only if i can handle the situation.

Beaux
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Nov 2011, 6:23 pm

I talk a lot to those who are close to me (so basically my family, church friends, and my one friend at school) but I wouldn't say that I'm good at being social. I have a tendency to annoy and be rude to others without trying and I am extremely blunt. It doesn't help that I still feel like I'm the only sane man in an insane world. :?

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 6:34 pm

If this video is any indication, I am social, but only with people who share a mutual interest or who I can relate to on some level. Please note that I only know one guy in the video. Everyone else is a stranger. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFrXUuBkE98&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

07 Nov 2011, 7:27 pm

I'm always hanging around and waiting to be included, so it usually depends.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 3:40 pm

I can socialize if I want to, but 95% of the time I don't want to.

bcousins
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 10:29 pm

SammichEater wrote:
I can socialize if I want to, but 95% of the time I don't want to.

I concur

ArtemisHolmes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2011, 6:13 am

I am 'good' at socializing. I'm a positive person, and I think people generally like me/find me interesting (Or find me a laughingstock). I can even appear to be Extroverted at times, but I'm pretty sure I am an Introvert at heart.

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2011, 12:04 am

I can be very social at times. It takes a little while for me to get out of my shell but once I do, I can go for hours from one topic to another with almost any number of people. Especially if it's a topic I enjoy.

When I was younger, When my parents brought me to a museum, an aquarium or a zoo, I'd literally go from one exhibit to the next, talking about each organism or object on display. By the end, I looked like the guide for a tour group.

The only peolple I've every really had much trouble talking to were my grade school classmates.

dragonbean
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Nov 2011, 9:48 pm

I'm learning how to socialize. I'm pretty good at it within my friend group of about 6 people, but we're odd kids. I can do polite small talk with strangers/adults for a bit, but struggle a LOT after a minute or two. Getting better at it, but painfully slowly.