Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

CrazyOldBat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Oct 2011, 6:20 pm

Just wondering... any other Aspie science fiction writers out there (I'm sure there must be). Would love to discuss writing, illustrating and universe development with you.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 7:36 pm

I'm more into the fantasy side of the speculative fiction spectrum. The only sci-fi stories I recall enjoying are those involving time travel to the past or dinosaurs. I don't find futuristic stuff or outer space that interesting to be frank.

zaidjit
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Oct 2011, 10:03 pm

haven't written any science fiction yet. I am currently laboring on a fantasy story. I love reading science fiction, and probably will write a science fiction story after I finish the story I am working on.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 10:31 pm

I have been working on a space opera for several years, I currently only have about 3 chapters though :oops:

ictus75
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Oct 2011, 11:37 pm

I write science fiction (no fantasy) and have one novel finished, with a second one half done. I also have various short stories and non-fiction written.

LexF
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2011, 8:01 am

I've written seven books, five of them are a sci-fi series (have one more to go in that series) -- I have a few in-progress projects that aren't sci-fi at all, but I imagine I'll end up coming back to sci-fi eventually....

Rubydoobs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2011, 8:08 am

I have written a full-length sci-fi time travel novel. It is set in three different time periods, the Mesolithic, the present day and the 23rd century.

It's called Time Watchers: The Greatest of These.

I would post a linky to it on Amazon, but I'm not allowed yet. :)

What's normal? Well, that's a good question. Normal is what everyone else is and you are not ~ Tolian Soran (ST: Gen)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 1:56 am

I'm more of a horror fiction kind of guy myself, though I had once thought about a scifi-horror short story.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 3:05 am

I do write science fiction and fantasy. I've finished a space opera, and am working on a science fiction thriller in the tone of the old BBC Quatermass and Andromeda serials, as well as a fantasy novel based in the time of Greek myth.

On sabbatical...

Abgal64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Nov 2011, 2:37 am

I am going to write a set of novels, to eventually total at least 17, set in my constructed world/alternate history timeline. This timeline, though contemporary with our own, has an industrial revolution in the 7th century CE under the Sutimpotyk (pronounced /sutimpotək/), the People's Federation, has humanity united under the Sutimpotyk by the 9th century CE and by the dawn of the 12th century technology and culture have become far more advanced than in contemporary reality. By the present day, humanity under the Sutimpotyk has: Explored most of the Milky Way and part of Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy; encountered several sapient extraterrestrial species, allied with some of them, made tributaries out of some of them, is enemies with some of them and is neutral with some of them; developed FTL travel, perfected gravity-manipulating vehicles and has ended disease along with aging.

I have been working on the world for a few years now but have not been good enough at writing fiction to make any significant literature, though I have done many paintings and written much about the world in an encyclopedic manner. I think the novel will be about the greater value of sapience over biology and I am quite certain that it will strive for a miyabi aesthetic.

By the way, this is the same world described in my vignette (see "A Vignette I wrote" on this forum); check it out if you want a feel for my writing.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 2:55 am

I've been working off and on... world building.

My "universe" is a single, massive, multi-star solar system called Fire-Frost (after a star system from the game I-war 2).

The system has a few habitable worlds and many orbital/industrial habitats. I think the stories will be space-centric, but more speculative than space opera and very political.

CommanderAspie613
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Nov 2011, 3:30 pm

I do create some science fiction, mostly on fanon sites(i.e. memory gamma). I usually store original science fiction on my ipod, but its almost always television series or films. I abstain from fantasy, but sometimes I do make some superhero fiction. I come up with most of my ideas in a weird way, I will make one lego figure(yeah legos) and I will develope a backstory to the character, I think that is a bit odd...

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 9:16 pm

I have four different sci-fi universes going right now. Two different cyberpunk ones and two different space-opera ones (minus the aliens).

The latest one I've been developing is the space-opera-ish one for the computer game I'm planning and writing at the moment. It's a multi-solar-system one grounded in reality (the Sol system has been colonized and humanity has since expanded outward, Earth is still the cradle and center of human civilization, etc.). There is no traditional faster-than-light travel (inter-system flight is done through jump gates, intra-system flight often takes several days), space ship maneuverability is constrained by realistic physics, and most space flight is commercial, with very few personal space ships.

Within the universe, a future, expanded UN is the governing political body of humanity, with local branches governing each planet, space station and asteroid colony in known space. There are factions that oppose the UN government, to varying degrees of vocality and radicalism, but most aren't found in the core systems in any kind of force, preferring to operate out on the edges of UN-controlled space where their influence is less profound and the people are more likely to be sympathetic to dissension.

There's a whole bunch more I could get into, but that would be going into game-relevant information, which may or may not be of interest (and may contain potential spoilers) to some people here.

CommanderAspie613
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Nov 2011, 10:22 pm

@zokk- well that sounds interesting. Most sci-fi that I read/played/saw/heard/watched only used one main travel technology, and using the multiple traveling systems seems cooler when it is on a game. I hope the game goes as well as planned(if not better).

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 10:42 pm

CommanderAspie613 wrote:
@zokk- well that sounds interesting. Most sci-fi that I read/played/saw/heard/watched only used one main travel technology, and using the multiple traveling systems seems cooler when it is on a game. I hope the game goes as well as planned(if not better).

It doesn't factor much into the game, as it's intended to be a first/third person shooter/stealth game, but it actually does start out aboard one of those commercial space liners. I actually got the idea for that whole system of travel from William C. Dietz's novel Runner, in which huge AI-controlled space ships ferry people across space on trips that take days or weeks at a time because of the lack of faster-than-light travel. I just ended up changing it around, updating and expanding the idea of a system like that for my own use.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 2:24 pm

I like sci fi. I have written something that I would say is more supernatural though. It is grounded in science, kind of scientific research leads to ghostly happenings.....

Anyone read Timeriders? It is for kids, wasn't that impressed with it.