Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Dessie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Oct 2011, 12:12 pm

When I'm on my period I'm even more emotional and sensitive to sensory things than I usually am; the smallest things agitate me, make me angry, put me over the edge.

Tactile sensations are the worst: temperature (hot or cold), things that rub against my skin or itch, lotions and soaps, and yes pads and tampons. Sounds can do it too, also lighting and voices.

It doesn't seem to be this way for NT women. They have cramps and get emotional, but they just take some Tylenol and go on with their life.

I'm just wondering, is it like this for anyone else on the spectrum?

Edit: I'm considering getting some of those birth control pills that only give you four periods a year. Is anyone else taking them? If so, what is your experience with them?

Thanks. :)

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 12:58 pm

Normally my sensory problems don't really affect me too much (only if there is a sudden loud noise). But when I'm on my period, I become much more sensitive to light and sound. Every light feels brighter and every sound is louder. It doesn't impair my ability to function, but it's noticable.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 12:59 pm

Quote:
It doesn't seem to be this way for NT women. They have cramps and get emotional, but they just take some Tylenol and go on with their life.

I think you're greatly underestimating what a lot of NT women experience with their menses. Dysmenorrhea, Menorrhagia, PMDD, and several other very painful conditions regarding menstruation exist, you know, and they don't only affect women with ASDs. :roll:

But anyways, that aside, my sensory problems are already bad enough as it is so I don't really notice if those become worse during PMS/during menstruation itself. My OCD thoughts flare up, though, and I get pain and any emotions I feel are over 9000 times magnified.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 1:16 pm

For the week before and when I have it, I am extremely sensitive to stimulus. Definitely worse during that time.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 1:42 pm

It is within normal range to become somewhat hyper sensitive physically and emotionally during the monthly cycle. It is caused by the hormonal changes. Some women are more sensitive than others. This is regardless of whether they are on the spectrum, or are NT. Also, menstrual sensitivity can vary from one year to the next. I was much more sensitive in my teen years at those times. Fortunately I no longer have to put up with it, partly due to age (50s), and partly due to a hysterectomy almost 6 years ago. It successfully treated my cancer. They say if you make it 5 years past treatment without a recurrence, then you are cured. I have other health issues, but at least they caught the cancer in time.

If your hyper sensitivity at those times is giving you a lot of trouble, talk to your gynecologist about it. One option He/she might suggest is a mild tranquilliser. Birth control pills can have side effects, and may cause other health problems. You should check with your gynecologist for your best treatment options.

Remember, we on the spectrum are all:

A Different Drummer

If a man does not keep pace with his companions,
Perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
Let him step to the music which he hears,
However measured or far away.

--Henry David Thoreau

statschica
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Oct 2011, 2:16 pm

Hai. I'm sorry to hear you are going through that! hugz I was diagnosed with autism as a kid and my aunt too and from what I understand the periods make it worse for us. Plus women with even just mild aspergers in my family also have that. To be honest, risperdal has been the only medication that really helped calm down my responses to extreme sensitivities for the past 10 years. Also, if you are experiencing pain or fibromyalgia from inflammation from the sensitivities then I've discovered Cymbalta has helped. Also, obviously my ANA levels are always really high and one doctor diagnosed me with lupus as well which I have not taken treatment for except for daily fish oils. My doctor only tried me on a couple more many years ago that didn't work. Then recently I went to the dermatologist bc I have always had adult acne as well and they prescribed sironolactone to help with the "excess hormones" that potentially cause it. So then upon going to the gynecologist, she said even with the spironolactone I STILL had extremely high testosterone and Polycystic ovarian syndrome so they prescribed birth control pill. I really hope this helps me. Yes, I think it is much worse for women with autism from the energy I sense of other people. It's different yes than NT emotions I think bc we can easily consciously silence our emotions almost as if they are a separate entity of we choose but that doesn't take from the fact that at the same time our bodies are affected by them as well as the hormones and inflammation effects from the sensitivities as well. It's hard bc I want to function better physically but I'm in pain and I only have maybe 4 or 5 good hours a day which I know most young NTs do not have....not to mention other things. so from 30 years of hard experience and just starting to get a better hold on them, I would say birth control (a low dose one) would be your best bet to start. You might as well want your doctor to test your hormone levels as well first to see , however, be advised that supplementing estrogen has been associated with incrased cancer rates in some well known publications (sorry i haven't the time to source this information but you might want to look it up yourself).....and so why i recommended low dose for starters. Then feel free to take any of the other medication advice if you'd like as well. if you have it then both my doctors said therapy will not work unfortunately (bc we tried that first). Sorry to hear you are experiencing it and hope you feel better and I hope this helps in some way. Men just don't understand....even autie men. Hugz.

statschica

25 Oct 2011, 2:19 pm

oh and to be honest i was on birth control for many years and stopped a couple of years ago and started back but it does not change/fix those sensitivities. So i don't know but I still think it helps even if a little and would be a good place to start after you have your doctor test your hormone levels and those other things. Then perhaps move onto something bigger....hope this helps hugz

Dessie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Oct 2011, 5:22 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
I think you're greatly underestimating what a lot of NT women experience with their menses. Dysmenorrhea, Menorrhagia, PMDD, and several other very painful conditions regarding menstruation exist, you know, and they don't only affect women with ASDs. :roll:

No, I didn't know. Thank you for the links. The only one of those conditions I've heard of is PMDD, and I'm not even sure what it is, so I am going to take a look at those pages.

The only way I know what NT women experience with their periods is by observing and talking to the ones I know around me. None of them I've spoken to experience the sensory things I mentioned, which is why I posted here, hoping to see if it is a trait common to women with ASD's.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 9:39 pm

Anything can trigger me during PMS.I get mad at the sun,at my mental state,the bus driver's energy,that the neighborhood cats stay away from me (they know it's THAT time,I swear!).I feel like brain lobes function less !

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 7:05 pm

I can definitely say that my senses are heightened even more during my menstrual cycle...

1. My sense of smell appears even more sharp than normal; body odour seems more pronounced to me
2. I become more sensitive to clothing, sanitary towels, tights/socks etc. make me feel irritable and agitated.
3. I become more sensitive to temperature change.

...Also, simple sounds like toilet seats being shut, loudly and things dropping on a wooden floor also become more of an annoyance.

spaceappleseed
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Dec 2011, 4:28 pm

As far as the four periods a year birth control goes: I take a very low dose birth control which is continuous = no periods at all! Because it suppresses the hormones that cause your uterus to build up a lining there is no psychical need for a period. I've had no negative side effects and think it's pretty much the greatest thing ever.

InTheDeepEnd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Dec 2011, 2:56 pm

statschica wrote:
upon going to the gynecologist, she said even with the spironolactone I STILL had extremely high testosterone and Polycystic ovarian syndrome so they prescribed birth control pill

If you can, go to an endocrinologist. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome too and my endocrinologist just put me on metformin. He was surprised I wasn't already on it, so I don't know if it's for everyone but you might benefit from it too. My metabolism is screwed up from years of inadequate treatment now.

Regarding the topic, my period has always been uncomfortable for me because of my existing sensitivities but I don't notice them being more intense, there's just more to set them off...tampons or pads, water retention, and I've always swung between no period for long stretches or menorrhagia, so that doesn't help anything.

169Kitty
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Feb 2012, 6:28 am

I am really sensitive to just about everything for he few days before my period starts. The worst of the mood and sensory issues are over once my period starts. But that's only if I keep adequate pain control (800mg ibuprofen every 8 hours for 2-3 days). If the pain from my cramps gets out of control then every little thing seems to bother me. Anybody who comes near me during that time is taking a big risk of getting attacked.

I HATE the feeling of wet pads!! I use tampons and can't feel them when I insert them correctly. I still will wear a pad because otherwise I'll worry too much about leaking. Lately all the manufacturers have been changing packaging and styles frequently. So now I'm on the search again for a pad that works right for me. I may try making my own.

NT score: 51 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Feb 2012, 11:51 am

My symptoms are at their absolute worst during menstruation. Sometimes my legs just go out from under me and yes sensory problems are abundant during cramps. Most panic attacks, meltdowns are related to periods for me.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2012, 3:36 pm

My sense of smell is stronger in the few days leading up to my period starting (and I think - do I really smell that bad?), but that's about it. I guess I'm lucky.

esh

Location: A Consciousness Between Quarks (My physical presence belongs to Estonia)

16 Feb 2012, 11:21 am

I have always had difficult and painful menses but it is not related to autism, perhaps my hypersensitivity to sound and light is magnified but other than that, NT women experience painful menses as well. It is normal for both NTs and autistics to be more sensitive during menses. Hormonal changes during menses affect your nerve functions as well.