World population hits 7 billion on Oct. 31, or thereabouts

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Oct 2011, 9:32 pm

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 5314.story

7 BILLION PEOPLE.... or to put it in other terms, that's the number of people served by McDonald's in 7 days. 8O

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2011, 11:59 pm

I don't know whether to be happy or sad that so many people exist.

With this amount of people, I am extremely worried about the world. It is going to put further strain on our resources. It doesn't mean we will run out of resources, but it will be harder.

I really hope this brings awareness to bringing birth control to developing nations. I also think that we need to have serious discussions with religious leaders who tell their followers not to take birth control. We need to educate them on why this is outdated.

I wonder how many people having 4+ kids realize how dangerous this is. Most infants survive so there is no need to have fifteen like in the old days where almost all of them died of a disease or famine.

amojak
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Oct 2011, 4:39 am

7 billion...

We are like a mould, however moulds are bound by the resource they are living on and eventually commit suicide once the resource has depleted.

People on the other hand are smart and we keep finding cures and remedies for the natural things that keep our numbers down and as mentioned there are the less than responsible breeding farms fuelled by religious text..

living longer.. greater survival of birth.. we all have to be fed...

As many an intelligent observer has noted, the key is to give control over reproduction back to the women in many developing countries and stop the man made bronze age myth enforced rulebook that prevents them using contraception or saying "no".

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t4VhQX5Ckk[/youtube]

AQ - 44
EIQ - 57
BAP - 129 Aloof, 103 Rigid, 132 Pragmatic

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 2:06 pm

now there are enough of us
... & this planet

more protoplasm than stone
more dreams than protoplasm

can call itself PACIFIED
can call itself FINISHED

reasoning." --William Blake

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 2:33 pm

So who is / will be the 7 billionth child? :)

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 4:20 pm

We need to start building space colonies on Mars soon, our planet is running out of room! :lol:

(I'm actually being serious)

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 4:37 pm

This is a cause for celebration, as every birthday is.

We can support many more people than this if we put our resources to it.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 4:51 pm

Honestly I think the best solution to our problem with the human population growing larger and larger is to try and find other planets/moons to live on. Mars would be a good choice as a first stop because it's climate is almost similar to Earth's, Mars has water (though frozen), soil that can be used to growing crops, and oxygen. The problem is that Mars doesn't have a strong enough atmosphere to protect us from space rocks and the weather on Mars is more intense than it is on Earth, but I'm sure with science we could find a way to solve those problems.

The truth is the survival of the human race depends on us finding a way to colonize life on other planets and moons that are suitable for us. :)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 5:18 pm

The good news is weve reached seven billion ( the more the merrier), but the bad news is that weve reached seven billion ( OMG! - were over populating and using up resources etc), but the good news that it took this long. In former decades they were projecting we would hit seven billion before this. Most countries, even poor third world countries, are reducing their birth rates. The rich countries are actually starting to loose population. The USA would also be losing population if we werent the Industrialized world's leader in having the highest rate in teen pregnancy, but the bad news is that though we are actually growing at a slower rate each person is consuming more because of spreading prosperity, but each person also produces more because of increasing prosperity,..

So its hard to say what this means.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 5:37 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The good news is weve reached seven billion ( the more the merrier), but the bad news is that weve reached seven billion ( OMG! - were over populating and using up resources etc), but the good news that it took this long. In former decades they were projecting we would hit seven billion before this. Most countries, even poor third world countries, are reducing their birth rates. The rich countries are actually starting to loose population. The USA would also be losing population if we werent the Industrialized world's leader in having the highest rate in teen pregnancy, but the bad news is that though we are actually growing at a slower rate each person is consuming more because of spreading prosperity, but each person also produces more because of increasing prosperity,..

So its hard to say what this means.

Have a look at this. The fertility rate in U.S. is declining sharply. We got more people from the outside than are born.

ruveyn

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 5:48 pm

I wish people would stop worrying about us running out of space when with technology we could probably serve about 14 billion people easily. I do like that the growth rate of the world has slowed. Took 12 years to reach 6 billion and 12 to reach 7 billion. Hopefully we'll have plenty of elbow room left.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 7:30 pm

I think its disgusting people need to stop breeding as more forests will be cut down and there will be more extinctions of wildlife while people breed like rats.

Circle989898
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 9:38 pm

Will we celebrate when we hit 6 billion?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 11:11 pm

Circle989898 wrote:

Uhhh....

We hit six billion back in 1997. Or thereabouts.

Do you mean "will we celebrate when we hit 8 billion?" and just made a typo?

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 11:50 pm

I think it's near impossible to tell who exactly is the 7 billionth baby, just like when they made a big deal about the "first" baby who was born in the new millennium. The news has some good and bad elements, as said before in previous posts. It's pretty neat to say that there are 7 billion people in the world, while at the same time it will put a bit more strain on the environment. However, as said before, the birth rate is declining from when we reached 6 billion people in 1997. We also have the Baby Boomers generation who are aging, which could reduce the population some. I wonder what it will be like when or if we hit 10 billion? Hopefully there'd be some real estate or Dominos Pizza on Mars by then lol (there's a funny article about Dominos wanting to be the first restaurant on Mars lol).

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 11:51 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Circle989898 wrote:

Uhhh....

We hit six billion back in 1997. Or thereabouts.

Do you mean "will we celebrate when we hit 8 billion?" and just made a typo?

I think he's reffering to the comments about wanting to reduce global population. So he means when we hit 6 billion again (by population decrease).