Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 3:16 pm

Well, considering that I'm the only founding member of the CU Renaissance Guild who still can't get the most basic dances down... dancing really isn't my forte.

I'm not THAT clumsy. But I'm solidly below average.

I do like to just "move to the music" when I'm in my room alone; used to do it for exercise, during the winter when I couldn't bike. I never let anybody watch me because I know I'm pretty bad, though I've gotten better than I used to be.

I don't think I'd have the self-confidence to dance improvised-type dances in public; and the type of thing they do in the Ren Guild, I'd need about five times more practice than my more coordinated friends. I think I could enjoy it, though, if I had the time to learn; you don't have to be a natural at something to enjoy it.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 3:31 pm

I can't dance.

It's the thing I'd most like to change about myself.

There is nothing more heartbreaking than having to say "no" to someone you really love, and seeing the disappointment in their eyes. Especially when they belive it's some sort of snub, or you're just being lazy, so they walk away feeling rejected and then enjoy themselves dancing with someone else. I hate that more than anything.

The only times I've danced have been when I was totally, totally drunk. I'd love to say that I can't remember, but I DO recall feeling self-conscious and knowing I was a crap dancer even when I'd had the best part of half a bottle of vodka and four or five beers.

I've danced in public on no less than four occasions. On three of those four nights I ended up in hospital with alcohol poisoning and diabetes complications. That's how drunk I have to be... and why I don't dance at all any more.

My biggest dread is having to do the "first dance" if I am ever married. I hope I can find someone who will understand enough to ignore that tradition. Could be looking for a long time, though, I fear :(

Davidufo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2006, 5:39 pm

I only seem to be able to dance in front of the mirror at home....

nah .. i can't dance

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 6:47 pm

I can tap-dance, I can do jazz/modern dance, I can do the Macarena and similar dances ... and guess what? They have structured, pre-determined steps. I wondered why I can never 'dance' as other people think of it.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

27 Sep 2006, 11:16 pm

I just did the 'dancing alone' thing when I came home today. I was listening to 'It's Tricky' by Run DMC.

It's free to rock around,
to rock around,
that's right on time,
it's Tricky!! !
It's Tricky!! !

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

mysteriouslyabsent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2006, 6:34 pm

I generally cant dance, however I do try at nightclubs and the like, generally there everyone else is also crap, or else too drunk to notice/care so I dont feel so self concious, which frankly just makes it much worse.

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 6:50 pm

KBABZ wrote:
I just did the 'dancing alone' thing when I came home today. I was listening to 'It's Tricky' by Run DMC.

It's free to rock around,
to rock around,
that's right on time,
it's Tricky!! !
It's Tricky!! !

It's tricky to rock a RHYME
to rock a rhyme that's right on time...

They offer coke and lots of dope but we just leave it alone

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 6:55 pm

Ah, so THAT'S what it is. I always wondered what they were, but I've never thought of looking up the lyrics on the internet...

In a way
We all go there

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 6:58 pm

Sorry, I have an obsessive memory for song lyrics.

Last heard that song about 12 years ago.....

hypermind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Sep 2006, 2:45 am

i used to never dance. on occasion i'd attempt but i just could not. id move one arm, the another, and then id not know what to do next.

but then, i really dont remember when or how, but i started dancing to alternative music, favorably funk, and now i sometimes dance, and i kinda dance very enthousiastic. i kinda overdo movements, and move a lot. but i cant be doing bad, once a girl told me she really liked the way i danced. and sometimes i dance a little with a total stranger i find that can dance really good, i like doing that. im also knkown to have extreme stamina when dancing, going wild all night. the next few days everything hurts.

i cant give any advise though, it'd just have to come naturally. some types of music might work better for you (i cant dance to an (up)beat).
if you do it right, your not dancing to the music, but the music is dancing you.

lae
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2006, 4:15 am

I have never been able to dance. I just don't have that kind of control over my body. People have tried to show me but it never works. They give up because they think I'm not relaxing and trying or something like that. I never could learn to jump rope as a kid, either. Is that an aspie thing or something else? I could run fast when I was young, but people said I walked and ran oddly. I was once diagnosed with a motor problem involving manual dexterity. Is it related to gross motor control? All the people in my life gave me a hard time because they said I could do all these things right if I really tried. But I tried very hard. Does anyone Know something about these things?

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2006, 5:27 am

Yup. After my first epilleptic fit when I was twelve, a nurse noted to my mum my odd walking style, and she gave her a book on Asperger's. My motor skill were apparently lacking as well, although I'm quite a whiz when it comes to kicking people's arsenals when playing Playstation. In the school playground, I didn't swing on the monkey bars because I couldn't do it properly (until I did I improvised by either walking over the top of them or waiting until I was tall enough to grab them from the ground, which wasn't too long, actually!). The way I hold my pencil is also odd, but that's probably because the teachers never corrected me during Primary School (lazy buggers...).

In a way
We all go there

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2006, 11:03 am

I don't like dancing much.
I usually wil only get talked into doing it if i'm REALLY drunk.

lae
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2006, 4:08 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Yup. After my first epilleptic fit when I was twelve, a nurse noted to my mum my odd walking style, and she gave her a book on Asperger's. My motor skill were apparently lacking as well, although I'm quite a whiz when it comes to kicking people's arsenals when playing Playstation. In the school playground, I didn't swing on the monkey bars because I couldn't do it properly (until I did I improvised by either walking over the top of them or waiting until I was tall enough to grab them from the ground, which wasn't too long, actually!). The way I hold my pencil is also odd, but that's probably because the teachers never corrected me during Primary School (lazy buggers...).

Wow. I had epilleptic (sp?) seizures as an infant. I was put on phenobarbitol. It was one of those things my parents wouldn't speak of. Wonder If that's why I have motor problems. Also ran very high fevers.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2006, 6:43 pm

My parents haven't kept anything from me (but then you can never really tell, can you?). Tantrums, 'absent' fits, things I broke, you name it, they'll tell me about it, providing they can remember it themselves! Seems quite a few users have epillepsy, and I was suprised by that. My first fit, one morning during 2000 while preparing for school, really freaked out my sister (she was 7 at the time), and she was partly traumatised by it. No councilling needed, fortunately, but she got a heck of a fright.

After that, I had to take pills to cure me (that's the only thing about me I'd have like to wanted to cure, frankly), but as you can imagine, it was a bit difficult for me to take them twice a day and fit that into my schedule (once in the morning and once after tea).

In a way
We all go there

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2006, 9:18 pm

KBABZ wrote:
The way I hold my pencil is also odd, but that's probably because the teachers never corrected me during Primary School (lazy buggers...).

Holding it in an odd way doesn't necessarily mean you're holding it wrong. I do so also (pencils and knitting needles too) but I don't think there's really just one "right" way. Whatever's comfortable goes.

It's like when you've been doing something, whatever, the same way for ages, with great results, and someone comes along and tells you that you've been doing it the wrong way all along, and trust them, their method is much more comfotable. Grr.