Congressmen in rush to further ignore the 1st ammendment

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

PM
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 1:50 am

Inuyasha wrote:
PM wrote:
Oh well, I guess the Establishment Clause does not mean anything in a "Christian Nation".

I thought that Christianity, Judaism, and Islam all supposedly worship the same god...

According to your average Christian Conservative, America is a Christian Nation.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 1:53 am

Inuyasha wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Actually I could argue atheists are trying to trample on the 1st Amendment rights of the majority of Americans.

You could also argue that the Earth is a giant head and all the trees and sh** are hair

:roll:

Actually, I think atheists need to learn to respect other people's rights, no one is forcing you to attend Church, how about you give Christians the tolerence you're demanding that we give you.

Only terrorists make demands, Inuyasha

Anyway you should pay attention to the OP article. This is the most important part:

Quote:
House Judiciary Committee Democrats in their March dissent against the measure argued that the national motto “is not imperiled in any respect” and charged that the panel’s Republicans were “diverting the committee’s time, resources and attention to a measure that has no force of law, only reaffirms existing law and further injects the hand of government into the private religious lives of the American people.”

Interestingly enough, this is the same Republican-dominated House that passed new rules specifically to stop “symbolic and commemorative resolutions.”

Isn’t this just one of those symbolic gestures?

Asked Monday whether the “In God We Trust” resolution would be considered such a symbolic resolution, a spokesman for [House Majority Leader Eric] Cantor declined to comment.

Also I would appreciate it if you would please explain how "atheists are not respecting the rights of others".

Care to explain the lawsuit about a Catholic school should have places set up for Muslims to pray?

Why do you always answer a question with a question? Especially when you consider I am merely requesting you validate a previous claim. Instead you bring up a completely unrelated event that I have not even been privy to until now. In any case how many Muslims go to Catholic schools? When it comes to places to pray for Muslims, the college I went to basically let them use an empty classroom or other room that was available. That is probably the extent of what any school will do, especially considering Muslims make up a small proportion of either of our countries populations

Now will you answer my question please? Or perhaps explain Cantor's unwillingness to comment on how the bill his party wants to pass is contradicting a previous effort his own party made to prevent "symbolic and commemorative resolutions"? Please stay on topic

Actually, what I brought up is related to the topic.

Not really. You're just avoiding answering legitimate questions. Its not intellectually honest.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 9:16 am

Tadzio wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Actually I could argue atheists are trying to trample on the 1st Amendment rights of the majority of Americans.

You could also argue that the Earth is a giant head and all the trees and sh** are hair

Actually, I think atheists need to learn to respect other people's rights, no one is forcing you to attend Church, how about you give Christians the tolerence you're demanding that we give you.

Uncle GodBucks with his Ayn Rand Bible still recommends:

Lord of Silver,
Lord of Gold,
Lord for Money Our Spirits Sold,
Lord Let The Poor Crumble To Dust,
In God We Trust.

Alan Greenspan knew which "In God to Trust" with money, and that's one
clue for the $$$Dollar-Sign$$$ burial wreath for "The Virtue of Selfishness"
Goddess. And, that's just the beginning of the first volume!! !

999---YOU WANT TOLERANCE???---999, recommended by Cain.

Tadzio

Ayn Rand Objectivism is an -Atheist- movement. No gods.

ruveyn

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 11:55 am

Inuyasha wrote:
Actually, what I brought up is related to the topic.

Not from my perspective.

What is at issue here is Congress taking action to continue the imposition of religious inconography (in the form of your national motto), upon a nation that supposedly guarantees the separation of religion from government.

The failure in relevance of your attempt at diversion is twofold:

First, you are raising the claims of a plaintiff, not the judgement of a Court. Until a judgement is rendered, the government has not acted. I can file a lawsuit tomorrow seeking an injunction to silence you because you are a callow fool. But my ability to file that lawsuit in no way suggests that I would have any prospect of success in such a suit.

Second, a Roman Catholic school has a constitutional right to the free exercise of religion that is given judicial protection. But the corresponding right of a person who does not believe in the Abrahamaic God is not given judicial protection, and such a person is compelled to use currency, because that person cannot legally settle any debt owing to the government in any other fashion. (And, would be hard pressed to conclude any private contract without it, either).

Now, there is certainly jurisprudence to suggest that the motto has lost all religious character through, if nothing else, excessive repetition.

But that still leaves open the question of how atheists are not respecting the rights of other people. Do you have a right to have an explicit reference to God on your currency? That seems tenuous, to me.

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 2:08 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Obres wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Actually, my parents forced me to attend church, so you're flat-out wrong on that one. The government forces me to subsidize religious institutions which get tax breaks. Every time I pay for something that "god" dude is on my f***ing money. And every time I sneeze someone has their imaginary friend bless me. Thanks bro. I'm glad your imaginary friend has my back :roll: But seriously, if they changed the money to say "In Allah we trust" which is essentially the same since it's just god's other name, all of christian america would throw a giant sh** fit.

Your parents =/= government nor do they equal a religious institution...

I know you don't like to read what other people write before responding but I figured you'd at least know what kind of BS you type out yourself. You clearly said:

Inuyasha wrote:
no one is forcing you to attend Church

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 5:12 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Only terrorists make demands, Inuyasha

Anyway you should pay attention to the OP article. This is the most important part:

Quote:
House Judiciary Committee Democrats in their March dissent against the measure argued that the national motto “is not imperiled in any respect” and charged that the panel’s Republicans were “diverting the committee’s time, resources and attention to a measure that has no force of law, only reaffirms existing law and further injects the hand of government into the private religious lives of the American people.”

Interestingly enough, this is the same Republican-dominated House that passed new rules specifically to stop “symbolic and commemorative resolutions.”

Isn’t this just one of those symbolic gestures?

Asked Monday whether the “In God We Trust” resolution would be considered such a symbolic resolution, a spokesman for [House Majority Leader Eric] Cantor declined to comment.

Also I would appreciate it if you would please explain how "atheists are not respecting the rights of others".

Care to explain the lawsuit about a Catholic school should have places set up for Muslims to pray?

Catholic schools and muslim prayer has nothing to do with maintaining secular ideals in government.

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 5:26 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Tadzio wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Uncle GodBucks with his Ayn Rand Bible still recommends:

Lord of Silver,
Lord of Gold,
Lord for Money Our Spirits Sold,
Lord Let The Poor Crumble To Dust,
In God We Trust.

Alan Greenspan knew which "In God to Trust" with money, and that's one
clue for the $$$Dollar-Sign$$$ burial wreath for "The Virtue of Selfishness"
Goddess. And, that's just the beginning of the first volume!! !

999---YOU WANT TOLERANCE???---999, recommended by Cain.

Tadzio

Ayn Rand Objectivism is an -Atheist- movement. No gods.

ruveyn

No, Ayn Rand was a true believer in the God Mammon, but since believing and following such a manifestation of Satan would have proved "unpopular", the label "atheist" was exploited.

Many individuals who worship Mammon are in denial, since Satan will tempt them with a "win' loaded with an ultimate loss, and many now claim to worship Ayn Rand and her many works for "showing the way to ultimate truth" by following such as a moral map, with the bizarre claim such as "Ayn Rand Led Me to Christ": http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/201 ... ndled.html

The answer for "The Road Not Taken" by following any of Satan's maps, results in only Satan's victory, and Satan is not forgetful, with any other maps carried, but not followed, the more decisive.

Tadzio

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 5:30 pm

If money is God can money make you immortal?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 5:39 pm

androbot2084 wrote:

You have to grind it up, mix it with water, put it in a centrifuge and then shoot it up, preferably with a shared needle to flaunt your new-found immortality. I hear this is also the cure for AIDS...

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 6:03 pm

I guess the Egyptian Pharaoh's figured out a way to take their gold with them after they died.

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 3:01 am

androbot2084 wrote:

Yes, a major trust and faith in the God Mammon will also make a person immortal, but
by most reports, it is an immortality then limited within the fourth circle of the inferno.

Tadzio