Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 10:18 pm

When you have a song stuck in your head, does the song play back in stereo or mono?

When you listen to music with headphones, do you prefer to listen in stereo or mono?

If I get song stuck in my head, it's always in mono. And when I listen to a song, I like it to be in mono since my brain seems to use less resources processing the music than I normally would use if the song was in stereo.

If I'm listening to the song with some kind of stereo enhancment like SRS, I often get a migrane from it (that and trying to listen to my roomates music which is all profanity), not to mention the fact I can't concentrate on anything else.

Anyone else feel the same?

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 10:34 pm

I've never really thought about it. I hope it plays back in stereo, because mono is not fun to listen to and is also the name of a horrible disease.

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 10:46 pm

full-on stereo here

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 11:02 pm

Wow, good question, I had never thought about it. When I have a song stuck in my head, it plays back in stereo mode, I think, cuz I can remember clearly all instruments and elements :) .

If I wanna listen to music when I have nothing to do or I'm walking, I prefer Stereo Mode. But, of I'm doing my homework or I must study, I prefer mono.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

27 Sep 2006, 11:34 pm

I reckon I've got a full 5.1 Dolby Surround sound system...

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 4:21 am

i'm not a fan of surround. I have 2 ears, not 5.

Stereo. It's the format I use to record music.

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 4:28 am

I tend to think of it as a point source, but with three dimensional, radial dispersion. Some point, with an unidentifiable location, radiates into a space with a free form inner surface, which picks up the info from the inner surface as the sound radiates outward. I am the surround, the sound thought is constantly changing shape, size, location and intensity.

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 4:45 am

lowfreq50 wrote:
i'm not a fan of surround. I have 2 ears, not 5.

This seems like an odd thing to say. To me the reason we have two ears is to analyze spatial auditory information. In the real world we are indeed surrounded with sounds.

I CAN see how trying to make a concert recording seem like you are trapped inside a piano or sitting on stage would be stupid, though. Unrealistic. Or when they put the 20 foot arms on the drummer ... ??? ... weird!

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 6:22 am

Stereo

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Sep 2006, 10:29 am

When I listen to the radio while riding in the family car with my family, I usually listen in mono mode because I can't stand hearing the radio constantly switch between mono and stereo rapidly through headphones. On my stereo, I listen to the radio in mono becfause if I listen in stereo, then the sound cuts out when the stereo signal is lost (FM Muting). Of course, when listening to CDs or iPod, I prefer stereo.

littlesmiley
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Sep 2006, 10:53 am

Scoots5012 wrote:
When you have a song stuck in your head, does the song play back in stereo or mono?

When you listen to music with headphones, do you prefer to listen in stereo or mono?

If I get song stuck in my head, it's always in mono. And when I listen to a song, I like it to be in mono since my brain seems to use less resources processing the music than I normally would use if the song was in stereo.

If I'm listening to the song with some kind of stereo enhancment like SRS, I often get a migrane from it (that and trying to listen to my roomates music which is all profanity), not to mention the fact I can't concentrate on anything else.

Anyone else feel the same?
what the difference?

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 11:02 am

3D surround sound, sometimes with lightshow & 'strange' feelings flowing through my body.

Is this normal?