New book and site for autistic women in Dutch

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 1:53 pm

In yesterdays newspaper "De Morgen" (Belgian) was a full-page interview with a Dutch woman on the autism spectrum, Henny Struik. She wrote a book "Niet ongevoelig - vrouwen met autisme" (Not insensitive - women with autism), in where she quotes experiences from 60 diagnosed women and constructed a website with a questionnaire containing 100 questions designed for women to see, if you have traits shared by women on the spectrum. She designed this test in collaboration with 4 other women on the spectrum and the score is assessed by the results they got from women on the spectrum and women who are not. The average score of NT-women is about 21, the average score of autistic is 86.

It's a multiple-choice test and contains questions like whether or not you have trouble to fulfill the roles you play in life (eg. mother, employee, wife...), you have trouble with intimacy, you can manage to keep a regular diet, you have trouble recognizing people in an unusual enviroment (eg. a collegue in a supermarket), you have strong feelings of loneliness, think in pictures, have repetitive sentences in your head, prepare social scenarios ahead in your mind , fear making new contacts etc.
There is also a list with traits of women on the spectrum. As it is in Dutch you can copy it in parts and read it using google translator, as the translation is not too bad.

I am glad, that the Belgian newspaper did put a focus on women on the spectrum. The headline is: "Women can hide their autism better".

This is the website:
www.ass-vrouwen.nl

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.