Hearing music in your head- is this an Asperger's thing?

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

stumbelina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Nov 2011, 8:31 am

I hear music in my head all the time.. I'm putting it to good use, as I've just bought Logic 8. Now I can try and make it :)

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 2:43 pm

@stumbelina: That's awesome! Good for you!! !

But why Logic 8? The current version is 9.

Anyway, if you need help with Logic, any help at all, feel free to contact me through PM and I'll be happy to help any way I can. I love Logic, but it carries a pretty steep learning curve.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 12:18 am

questor wrote:
Having music playing in your mind happens to most or all humans. In my case, sometimes I will pick something to play in my brain, but most of the time it plays random snatches of tunes. Much of the time my brain will start playing something based on association. A word or phrase that I am reading, or hear on the radio will immediately trigger a tune that is associated to it in some way. I don't let it get to me. If a tune gets "stuck" in my mind, and starts to annoy me, then I just hit my mental "jukebox" and play a different mental tune.

^This.

Sometimes, a random tune pops into my head based on NOTHING I'm currently reading or listening to, and then I wonder why that particular song came up.

questor wrote:
Remember, we on the spectrum are all:

A Different Drummer

If a man does not keep pace with his companions,
Perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
Let him step to the music which he hears,
However measured or far away.

--Henry David Thoreau

8)

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

jaminona1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Apr 2015, 8:34 pm

I don't think most of the people posting understand or have actually experienced this. Its like listening to music playing but it turns out its not. Its some sort of memory. If you didn't know you would be saying, "I hear music! Where is it coming from!?" Its not "getting a song stuck in your head".

narcolepticpenguin
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Apr 2015, 9:06 pm

I used to play pokemon,and id hear the annoying music from it when I wasnt playing.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 12:53 am

jaminona1 wrote:
I don't think most of the people posting understand or have actually experienced this. Its like listening to music playing but it turns out its not. Its some sort of memory. If you didn't know you would be saying, "I hear music! Where is it coming from!?" Its not "getting a song stuck in your head".

That actually sounds like an hallucination, with it not seeming to be coming from within you while not actually existing externally, either.

I read an article once about musical hallucinations -- in one case, there was a woman who thought her stereo was switching on at night somehow and playing softly, but found it to be off when she finally checked. And, there was a man who kept hearing a music box playing nearby when there wasn't any. In his case, I think it had to do with hearing loss.

Musical Halucinations (Wikipedia) <link>

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Apr 2015, 1:01 am

That happens to me sometimes.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 11:21 am

jaminona1 wrote:

One time only but I was under very much stress. I don't think it's an autism thing at all but that when you're very stressed over a long period of time you can have strange psychological things happen

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

DestinedToBeAPotato
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: floating on the molecular clouds of interstellar space

22 Apr 2015, 11:26 am

That happens to me too.. Sometimes I create my own music in my head too without much effort, my mind kind of just plays a song I have never heard before.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 11:49 am

Yes! That´s creativity.
Otherwise - hearing music in the head is human.

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 11:58 am

I have a tie between getting the good catchy songs stuck in my head or my usual brand of classical music. Either way you cut it it's something good to listen to that doesn't need to be plugged in. Almost makes me think of one of my favorite scenes from the Shawshank Redemption when Andy plays the record over the prison pa and when he got sent to the box, but had the music in his head. Fun :)

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 12:02 pm

I have this happen but I listen to music a lot. I totally get the association thing too.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 9:29 pm

Commander wrote:
I have a tie between getting the good catchy songs stuck in my head or my usual brand of classical music. Either way you cut it it's something good to listen to that doesn't need to be plugged in. Almost makes me think of one of my favorite scenes from the Shawshank Redemption when Andy plays the record over the prison pa and when he got sent to the box, but had the music in his head. Fun :)

I love that scene. :)

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

choya
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jun 2022, 4:30 pm

I moved from one state to another about a year ago. I left everything I knew...my job, my friends, and some of my family. It took 2 days to move. The second day, nearing my new home, I started to hear music in my head. It was a bit bothersome at first, simply because it seemed like "just another earworm", which I've had plenty throughout my life. I think we all get songs stuck in our head at times. It was the same music, but with varying instruments, and sometimes harmonious singing (bass, tenor, etc.). It continued every day thereafter, nearly 24/7. It just wouldn't stop, and I couldn't shut it up. I would hear it from the moment I awoke each morning until I fell asleep at night, sometimes hearing the music in my dreams. But gradually it started evolving into songs I've never heard before. Again, nearly 24/7. And then symphonies, with complete sections of strings and horns and piano, and sometimes chorus. Sometimes the music is just strings, from the violin to the bass; and sometimes it's horns...all variety of horns. I can hear each instrument distinctly. When a chorus is involved, it is wondrous distinctly hearing each vocal range from soprano to bass, and the harmonization is beautiful. I don't think I've heard it in real life as I hear it in my head. Sometimes I hear rock music and blues...steel guitars, bass, slide guitars, harmonica. It has been over a year now since I have been in my new home. The music I hear in my head is beautiful and wondrous, and is comforting. I think maybe that's why I suddenly began hearing it...to comfort me when I left everything familiar for everything new and uncertain. I am so used to it now, and it never stops. But I love hearing it, and think of it as a gift. I don't know if this has anything to do with Asperger's. I have never been diagnosed with it (unheard of when I was little and growing up), but I am certain I have Asperger's.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2022, 5:56 pm

I just have the Normie thing of, if I like a guitar solo, I can replicate the notes in my head . It's only because it's been ingrained in my brain because of obsessive listening.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 11:44 pm

I have music constantly playing in my head that I have no control over, and I've had this issue since I was a toddler. In my case I think it's OCD related. The only time I don't have to deal with it is when I drink alcohol or am asleep.