Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Cbeavan100
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Nov 2011, 4:59 pm

Hi, I am diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome (I am
16). My personality is quite different from stereotypical Aspergers. I have been called a narcissist in the past and recently. I am very confident and ambitious about what I want to do in my life (I want to go into politics). I am very good at talking my way out of trouble at school but I can miss things socially. I have been called manipulative and arrogrant. I also crave to be the centre of attention and fantasise about fame, power and wealth because I know I will be a great person.

So my question is, is it possible to have strong narcissistic traits alongside Aspergers?

incorrigible
Raven
Raven

06 Nov 2011, 5:35 pm

lol...That's like asking if it's possible to have trouble making eye contact along side Asperger's. "Selfish" "self-interested" "self obsessed" "narcissistic" are all pretty textbook standard views NTs have on Aspies....it's up for debate here whether those judgements are fair or not. I work in politics. I'd suggest making a name for yourself, then dropping the "bombshell" that you have AS at a time you want a sudden, one time boost in ratings...the lasting boost will be nominal, though. ;)

Cbeavan100
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Nov 2011, 5:48 pm

Thanks, just to point out I have no trouble with eye contact. The last 'professional' who talked to me about Aspergers said it doesn't effect me very much.

incorrigible
Raven
Raven

06 Nov 2011, 6:00 pm

It's totally second nature for me, personally, to force/fake eye contact with strangers...the more comfortable I am with someone, the less eye contact I make though. And the more I interrupt. My Aspie traits are these HUGE, blaring "how could you not see that?!?!" traits to my loved ones...but strangers almost never catch them.

You are who you are. You're no more "just another Aspie" than others are "just another NT". You can be successful in whatever you're driven to pursue. ;)