Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 6:50 pm

Ok so I plan to apply for SSI again, but if I still get denied I'll probably have to find some sort of work.....and yeah there is not much chance I am going to be improving I don't really have much motivation for life anymore. I just feel like I should attempt to keep going so no one I know has to clean up my vital remains and to do that I need income for food and stuff. So does anyone know of any jobs for weird people who suck at life........because if the SSI does not work out and even if it does I am kind of running out of ideas.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 7:13 pm

two solitary jobs that come to mind are stockperson and book keeper.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 7:23 pm

cathylynn wrote:

I don't know that solitary is nessisarly good.....and screw getting involved with stocks and crap I don't even know anything about that. and the latter does not sound very availible but it could be tolerable.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 7:41 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
cathylynn wrote:

I don't know that solitary is nessisarly good.....and screw getting involved with stocks and crap I don't even know anything about that. and the latter does not sound very availible but it could be tolerable.

Stock person means restocking shelves with goods or other items.

How about the Peace Corp or AmeriCorps? http://www.americorps.gov/

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 7:45 pm

shrox wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
cathylynn wrote:

Stock person means restocking shelves with goods or other items.

How about the Peace Corp or AmeriCorps? http://www.americorps.gov/

Oh that, I was thinking of something else. Sounds simple enough right...but after an hour under florecent lights I won't be doing too well. Obviously headaches tend to make one slower at completing tasks. uhh what an anoying thing to be sensative to.

And I lack motivation so I am not all that self directed or anything so I don't know if either of those would work...honestly there was probably no point in posting this because I really do fail so theres probably not much out there for someone in my situation.

JSNS
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Nov 2011, 10:18 am

Academia , people are intelligent enough not to be driven by the instinctual top-ape habit of bullying.
In this world , you are driven by your own need of knowledge like everyone else , you can reach the ladder quicker by brillance in contrary to people who suck up to thier bosses and snitch on thier co-workers , all to climb the rungs of the ladder.
Considering brilliant people are usually the odd ones out but thier comes exceptions , you can reach further to a world class stance by creatively finding ways to gain more knowledge. Aspies are born with something called divergent and lateral thinking and instinct detachment , they are also born with ability fostering , ego-strength and ethics. Perfect for academia where aberrance is tolerated through brilliance.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 12:56 pm

JSNS wrote:
Academia , people are intelligent enough not to be driven by the instinctual top-ape habit of bullying.
In this world , you are driven by your own need of knowledge like everyone else , you can reach the ladder quicker by brillance in contrary to people who suck up to thier bosses and snitch on thier co-workers , all to climb the rungs of the ladder.
Considering brilliant people are usually the odd ones out but thier comes exceptions , you can reach further to a world class stance by creatively finding ways to gain more knowledge. Aspies are born with something called divergent and lateral thinking and instinct detachment , they are also born with ability fostering , ego-strength and ethics. Perfect for academia where aberrance is tolerated through brilliance.

Well my supposed intelligence does not seem to be serving me too well...I have been going to college and feel like I'm not really getting much out of it...I can't think of a single career I would want. I think it would be cool if I or me and some others could start some sort of commune and become self sufficent and be able to break away from this society....but not sure how I'm going to pull that off considering I don't seem to have the skills to set much in action.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 2:01 pm

You might be able to find some kind of non-corporate or privately owned store or coffee shop with people who would be more accommodating. Also, you have a much better chance of getting SSI if you can use a lawyer.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 2:09 pm

marshall wrote:
You might be able to find some kind of non-corporate or privately owned store or coffee shop with people who would be more accommodating. Also, you have a much better chance of getting SSI if you can use a lawyer.

Yeah that is one idea, but those jobs can be rather hard to find......but its probably something I could handle, maybe. Also, not sure what I will do about that......I am pretty broke so yeah.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 2:19 pm

The only two jobs I ever had was a paper route and cleaning at a grade school in the evenings. The paper route lasted two weeks. The cleaning job lasted 5 weeks and would have lasted longer if they hadn't changed my routine. If I hadn't quit when I did I would have had to quit a week later anyways when the person driving me there also quit.

I need a job where I don't have to associate with people. If I was good with people I'd just try all the local fast food places but it would be very hard for me to work a register.

I recently applied online for ssi for the first time. I know that a lot of people get denied, especially the first time, but if it wasn't for that online application I'd never even have been able to get started on applying.

ViewUpHere
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2011, 3:09 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I can't think of a single career I would want. I think it would be cool if I or me and some others could start some sort of commune and become self sufficent and be able to break away from this society....but not sure how I'm going to pull that off considering I don't seem to have the skills to set much in action.

Are you looking for a job? Or are you looking for a career?

Don't treat the two as being identical. In looking for a career, you're potentially looking at months to years of initial training just to get your foot in the door. You're potentially talking about years to decades of investment in time and energy. In looking for a job, you're trying to find someone who's hiring at a wage that'll put food on the table. I've had three careers. But I've had a lot more jobs.

Before going out and starting that commune, think through what that actually means. It's not just the organizational end that's difficult. Farming is one of the toughest jobs I know of. Being self-sufficient implies growing at least half the food you eat, and either growing or making something you can sell, trade, or barter for the rest. It's hard work.

Sweetleaf wrote:
And I lack motivation so I am not all that self directed or anything so I don't know if either of those would work...honestly there was probably no point in posting this because I really do fail so theres probably not much out there for someone in my situation.

What sort of motivation would you need?

Mind if I give you some tips on what employers are looking for? "Motivated" ranks pretty high on the list. Higher than the ability to read social cues. Higher than having a strong handshake and a steady gaze. If you come in to a job interview or walk into a place with a resume and don't seem even remotely interested in the work, they will not hire you. It's not because they're being discriminatory or judgmental. It's because they are considering paying you to do work. If they can see clearly that you are not interested in doing the work, there's no reason why they will want to hire you. It really is that straightforward.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 3:23 pm

ViewUpHere wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I can't think of a single career I would want. I think it would be cool if I or me and some others could start some sort of commune and become self sufficent and be able to break away from this society....but not sure how I'm going to pull that off considering I don't seem to have the skills to set much in action.

Are you looking for a job? Or are you looking for a career?

Don't treat the two as being identical. In looking for a career, you're potentially looking at months to years of initial training just to get your foot in the door. You're potentially talking about years to decades of investment in time and energy. In looking for a job, you're trying to find someone who's hiring at a wage that'll put food on the table. I've had three careers. But I've had a lot more jobs.

Before going out and starting that commune, think through what that actually means. It's not just the organizational end that's difficult. Farming is one of the toughest jobs I know of. Being self-sufficient implies growing at least half the food you eat, and either growing or making something you can sell, trade, or barter for the rest. It's hard work.

Sweetleaf wrote:

What sort of motivation would you need?

Mind if I give you some tips on what employers are looking for? "Motivated" ranks pretty high on the list. Higher than the ability to read social cues. Higher than having a strong handshake and a steady gaze. If you come in to a job interview or walk into a place with a resume and don't seem even remotely interested in the work, they will not hire you. It's not because they're being discriminatory or judgmental. It's because they are considering paying you to do work. If they can see clearly that you are not interested in doing the work, there's no reason why they will want to hire you. It really is that straightforward.

Yeah I know the whole commune thing is easier said than done, which is why I don't know that I'll ever be able to do that....it would pretty much depend on finding enough people intrested and enough people with the various skills needed for such a thing to work. I certainly don't have all the skills myself.....but I probably have some skills other people don't.

As for motivation I just feel like this society has nothing to offer so I am not all that motivated to contribute, plus I have severe depression so that interferes quite a bit. I don't even actually enjoy things I enjoy a lot of the time let alone having to tolerate an environment that makes me feel like crap.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 3:42 pm

Car wash (they'll here people out of prison, and pay under the table). Car detailing. Residential home cleaning services. Roofers.

If you can find a restaurant that will just let you bus tables, it's not too bad.

The firms that do inventory for chain stores.

Landscaping/snow removal if you don't have to also do sales.

Granted, none of these jobs are terrific, but it will give you a choice between wet or dry cat food for dinner.

If you play your cards right, you can move up and some decent.money.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 3:48 pm

Tawaki wrote:
Car wash (they'll here people out of prison, and pay under the table). Car detailing. Residential home cleaning services. Roofers.

If you can find a restaurant that will just let you bus tables, it's not too bad.

The firms that do inventory for chain stores.

Landscaping/snow removal if you don't have to also do sales.

Granted, none of these jobs are terrific, but it will give you a choice between wet or dry cat food for dinner.

If you play your cards right, you can move up and some decent.money.

Not sure I can do much of that......I am not terrible at cleaning, but roofing/landscaping/snow removal sounds like it would be too exausting unless it was part time but I am not even sure how to get those sorts of jobs and would not want roofing because i don't like falling off roofs.

And depending on the resturant the busing tables may not be too bad, but even then if the other employees are rude to me and stuff I'll just get stressed out and make an idiot of myself.

Tacitus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Nov 2011, 4:19 pm

Sweetleaf,

I don't have any clue where you live, but I do know of a commune for people who are as Alex put it " Neurodiverse."

Down in southern Georgia where I originally come from there is the commune in question. They grow their own food and teach each other skills of life and living and are very excepting of each other's differences.

My buddy is a pagan in some tree-hugging religious order of some sort or other, yet many are Baptists, Methodists, Mormons, Catholics, and Atheists. They except each other fully. They all do businesses together and for the common good. No requirements except a desire to learn to love yourself so you can be capable of loving others.

Many AS people have difficulty expressing emotion, but, just attempt to give your all and you can expect nothing less from them.

Anyway, send me a message if you want me to ask my buddy for further information about the commune and we will go from there in whatever way you are most comfortable.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 4:19 pm

Snow removal is running a snow blower or maybe a bit of shoveling. The landscape part could be running a weed wacker, leaf blower or trimmer.

Roofers need help picking up debris that they throw down. I worked on a crew and never went up on the roofs.

I've bussed tables. When it gets busy, no one will treat you like crap. You've gotta turn over those tables or the wait staff doesn't make as much money.

Every job I've ever had from the roofing crew to scientific research, has some obnoxious twit working there. It might be the over sharing train wreck drama queen, insane micro managing boss (current problem), to psychos that have some DMIV personality disorder waiting for an official diagnosis. It's like the universe parses out one miserable employee per job.

Just letting you know, us NTs worry about crummy co workers too....