Did you think you were a permanently annoying geek?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

08 Nov 2011, 10:49 pm

When you were younger and you said ANYTHING in anyway possible (Even if it was a "neutral topic" said in a "nice way", at least what you thought was "neutral" and "nice".), did you notice that the other person was almost always annoyed by it? And did you then assume you were a geek that was destined to be permanently annoying? And then... later... you found out you had AS?

Just curious if anyone else followed this path. :D

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

08 Nov 2011, 11:43 pm

No two people are the same.

For me it was like this:

Hated being at home because of my father, never really liked school because of the loud noises, dad kicked out of house, school gets a little better, diagnosed with AS, stopped visiting dad's house, joined WP, and here I am today.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 12:07 am

Nope, I never thought of myself as a geek until 8th grade of public school. In private school, teachers worked with me, and actually quite liked me as I was for the most part well behaved and respectful, and any of my quirks were usually offset by that. Kids were sorta forced to get along with you in elementary school, as there was like 15 kids in your entire grade at the old private Christian school I went to.

What's weird with me was, I was just...weird. Like, I liked nerdy things, especially when I was younger, but I was pushed by my father to like non-nerdy things. When I was younger, I had no video games or internet, so I'd spend all day outside. I'd make up my own stories starring me, everyday, just in my yard alone wacking sticks against stuff. I'd ride my bike, I'd pick berries, I'd walk through the cornfield. All that cool stuff. But I wasn't around other kids when I did stuff, and generally my sisters stayed inside and watched television, I'd not come inside til it was dark out. So, for a couple years, besides planned outings, I never be around other kids like casually. So it was a shock to me, just being around other kids in like, a Little League team or something. Then when I played Little League, I had like, performance anxiety issues. I'd get obsessed with it, though, look up statistics, throwing techniques, etc. I'd practice for hours at a time throwing a baseball against a wall, in hopes I'd be good enough to be a pitcher.

There's more, but...again, 8 paragraphs...

But yeah, my life has always been this awkward paradigm of being both a nerd and a "cool" person at the same time, and never fitting into either category though you're excessive in certain regards to both. I found out recently, I'm not bad looking either, and I at one point wasn't a dick to people, so maybe people thought I'm nice, maybe they still do? So like, when I first entered 7th grade, I did socially pretty well until someone started a rumor about me, then I just crashed. In my life, it's always been a case of "cool" at first, then "wtf" after a little while. I self identified as nerd for a bit in high school, but I started to drift away from them with interests. Like, generally "nerds" don't like cars, for example. So I'd ramble on for hours about cars to my nerd friends who wanted to talk about 4chan memes that I just didn't care about much, after seeing that all they are is the "nerd" equivalent of talking about Kim Kardashian or something.

So to answer your question. No, it's far worse/better than that.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 12:25 am

When I was younger I had no idea about context in conversations so it seemed everytime I'd try to talk to my peers, it was like I was speaking Aramaic to them. They'd just look at me like I was a moron and continue without me( I still have this problem though not as bad). Eventually I learned to only join in a conversation when I was completely sure what was the correct thing to say. Which is why today I often have nothing to add until there's something I can say that's either hilarious or poignant.

Myers-Briggs: INTJ
AQ: 44

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 12:39 am

I was even more annoying than geeks.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 1:48 am

Yep, that pretty much describes me during my elementary school years. I would talk incessantly about my interests regardless of whether or not anyone was actually listening to me, or I would try to be as nice as I could to everyone in the hopes that they would like me. But I always got "Nobody cares", or "You're a weirdo". I knew as early as kindergarten that I wasn't fitting in. I'm happy that I got diagnosed with AS when I was a teenager, because at least now I have an excuse to be a "weirdo".

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 2:10 am

I would have liked to have been more popular, but I think people mostly weren't annoyed by me, just not really very interested.

When I was in grade school, the pejorative for what I was was "egghead".

Australien
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2011, 5:32 am

Yes, imagine my surprise in my first few years at school when I realised that being a precocious font of general knowledge and facts about space, freeways, computers and sports statistics was not nearly as amusing to my age peers as to adults! :oops: