Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 4:52 pm

I'm not sure if this is classified as stimming or not, but I have a habit of skipping around the house yelling names of people whom I am currently obsessed with. Or when I get up from the sofa I have to yell out one of their names. I only do this when there are other close family members about, not outsiders or unfamilar people or anyone like that (I have to be careful not to do it when the window-cleaner is there), and I don't do it when I'm home on my own either because I seem to like people to hear to remind them that I'm obsessed with these people (it's another way of bringing them up without having to talk about them :) ). I don't do this when I'm outside the house or in public or anything.

I'm not sure if this is stimming or not, but I certainly like doing it (although I don't have the urge to do it out in public). If it is stimming, it must be what I call ''verbal stimming'', and I was just wondering if others here do it.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 5:22 pm

I quite often rapidly suck air in through my teeth, with my lips pursed, which makes a high pitched squeaking sound. I just like how my mouth feels when I do it. It feels all smooth.

This has subsided recently though to just an occasional thing when I get excited, I used to do it all the time a few months ago.

I have also had various mild vocal tics (humming, croaking etc) throughout my life.

I also gnash my teeth a lot, but only when I feel love. Weird. :lol: Doesn't really technically count as "vocal" but it makes a noise nonetheless.

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 5:33 pm

When I was little I used to keep grunting when watching TV, every few seconds. But that wasn't stimming - it was because I went through a phase of having a fear of losing my voice, and I used to think that I was going to lose my voice all of a sudden and so had to check to see if my voice was still there. I grew out of it, though, by the age of 8 or 9.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 6:08 pm

i make up words around the ones i am using and repeat them, only when i'm alone. one phrase is k-nick, k-nife when i'm getting a knife.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 6:09 pm

i make up words around the ones i am using and repeat them, only when i'm alone. one phrase is k-nick, k-nife when i'm getting a knife.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 6:13 pm

While I'm at home, I beatbox quite alot... Just because I enjoy it. Outside I usually find myself humming without realising it.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 7:16 pm

I hum and sing under my breath.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 7:51 pm

I constantly verbally stim at home. I walk around saying 'mouse mouse mouse mouse mouse...' in a high pitched voice. I have lots of other verbal stims, besides that. I make animal noises, repeat lines from games and internet memes or sometimes I just make stupid noises.

I only do physical stims outside of the house, and even then I only do fairly low-key unnoticeable ones, like bobbing my knee up and down underneath a desk.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

10 Nov 2011, 8:24 pm

I make funny wordless noises when I am alone and I draw into myself. I dont wanna get mom worried about me regressing or elict weird looks from others.
I physically stim in public but not verbally...I dont think the average population can handle me babbling to myself.

OP: I think what you call verbal stimming is really just part of your special interest in certain people. If it were a true stim, you would be more inclined to do it as a stress reliever and would also do it more when you are alone. But because you do it to get a reaction out of others, that kinda disqualifies it as a stim. Stim is short for self stimulating behavior which often involves repetion as a stress reliever (good or bad stress) and can also be used as a way of "priming" your mind when needing to think hard about something.
It serves no purpose in getting a reaction out of others. (Although stimming often does get alot of reactions, but not intentionally) What you describe is more like attention seeking behavior associated with your special interest.

hope that clarifies things for you,

Jojo

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

10 Nov 2011, 8:24 pm

I hum and sing, sometimes I'll repeat a word over and over, sometimes I'll make repetitive sounds. If I'm alone and physically occupied (taking a walk, for example) I'll speak my thoughts out loud, as it's the only way for me to properly verbalize them.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 9:15 pm

When I was young I used to repeat random gibberish phrases over and over. Nowadays I just make animal sounds. Meow.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 9:51 pm

Yes, I do some things similar, geez I hope there aren't hidden cameras and mics in my home making me a YouTube star...

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 11:00 pm

Yes, all the time. I say phrases or words in either English or another language (esp. German, Mandarin Chinese, and Japanese.) I also talk in other accents all the time, which can be a stim of sorts. I usually only do it at home, though. And I also do weird beatbox stuff every now and then. Now that I think about it, I feel like I'm always doing something like this whenever I'm home...

hockeytaz
Raven
Raven

10 Nov 2011, 11:57 pm

I do animal noises and usually when I'm stressed my phrase is, "I need a vacation." I'll blurt it out continually. I try not to grunt or make other noises in class but sometimes it happens.

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 12:01 am

When I home and I am more relaxed and not feeling like I have to hold it all in I will be do some things but it could be stims or just repetitive behavior. But it makes me feel good either way. I have things I say when I have anxiety but I won't say what that is.

I can have sort streaming conciousness sentences saying silly kind of things, it isn't actually conversation. I'm not sure what it is. But just a few sentences that I let out. Including asking not real questions and simply stating things or saying things that are sort of nonsensical as they come to me. I feel like my anxiety might keep this stuff from coming out everywhere else.

I have some repetitive questions that I ask my dog. She seems to like it enough. I don't know why I do this. It just comes out sometimes.

I have been told that is all annoying but there's something innocent or funny about it. I forget what I was told. It can mean I am happy and comfortable with this person I think.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 2:27 am

jmnixon95 wrote:
And I also do weird beatbox stuff every now and then.

Same. I don't think it's necessarily a stim though, at least not for me anyway, just a habit.

Not something I take seriously, just little percussive musical doodles.

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.