Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 4:13 am

Why did I go through all this trouble? I'm posting on THESE forums, I think that's rhetorical.

I recently procured a netbook with a broken screen. The screens for this model Asus 1005HA are fairly cheap, about 60 bucks. I decided to optimize it best I could before spending the cash on getting a new screen, so I hooked it up to a monitor, and installed win 7 on it. Well I didn't do a clean wipe on the HD because I wanted to keep the old files from the person I got them from archived in case they lose them (they have a copy also, just being courteous). So I zipped up the folder and stored it.

Well since I didn't do a clean install the page file decided it was going to sit somewhere on the nether regions of the hard drive. I don't have an external hard drive to boot from so I decided to try and put together a thumb drive PE boot.

I didn't have an OEM copy of win xp so I had to download an iso, and since I don't have a burner that that's hooked up at the moment (temporary laziness), I had to download an app that gives me a virtual cd-rom. I then had to build a BartPE iso from the other image. Several attempts and 2 days later trying to get my IDE drivers to work, I now have a working BartPE boot able thumb drive.

I then booted up into my portal environment, ran ultra-defrag and optimized the hard drive. The Page file is now sitting nicely right behind all my other files all happily defraged, and it's getting to know the new neighbors.

I don't think I would have gone through the trouble if my brain was wired NT style, though I did use an NT file system to defrag my hard drive. :roll: