Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

if you are female-- how financially self-sufficient are you?
I am financially self-sufficient. 18%  18%  [ 25 ]
I am financially self-sufficient. 18%  18%  [ 25 ]
I am partially dependent on my significant other. 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
I am partially dependent on my significant other. 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
I am fully dependent on my significant other. 8%  8%  [ 11 ]
I am fully dependent on my significant other. 8%  8%  [ 11 ]
I am partially dependent on my parents. 11%  11%  [ 15 ]
I am partially dependent on my parents. 11%  11%  [ 15 ]
I am fully dependent on my parents. 6%  6%  [ 8 ]
I am fully dependent on my parents. 6%  6%  [ 8 ]
I am partially dependent on government assistance. 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
I am partially dependent on government assistance. 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
I am fully dependent on government assistance. 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
I am fully dependent on government assistance. 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 140

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2006, 8:57 am

How financially self sufficient/ dependent are you? I am presently fully dependent on my husband, but I wish I were financially self-sufficient.

There was a lot of pressure growing up to be a "career woman" and the pressure continued into college. I did work for a while but each situation ended more disasterously than the last. Then I got married, and I gave up.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2006, 12:57 pm

I had to say fully self-suficient but that is misleading too. To be totally self-suficient would mean that I would not depend on a job or anything other than income generated by money that was already in my possession. Since I have to work, I am dependent on my employer who can cut me off at anytime.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

krex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2006, 2:06 pm

I have never been financle dependent on a male partner but I have been partly dependent on my parents(they helped with rent sometimes when I was in college and a few years after and have given me loans when I lost jobs.)I was homeless for about 6 mths and have had social seervice help with food and rent a few times over the years.I have managed to save a few thousand in the bank a few times but then the car breaks down or I need a root canal...and ...poof...its gone.Most my life I have lived check to check,which is scarey and has kept me at some pretty lousy jobs.I would love to never have to work and have free time for my "hobbies" but I dont think thats going to happen unless Publishers Clearing House comes through...lol.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

nina
Raven
Raven

02 Oct 2006, 4:38 pm

I have been dependent on my husband for the last five years while I've been home raising my children. Now that I will be divorcing him, I will be dependent on his child support and alimony. I have just gotten my own job again, but with two kids I will still need that help.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2006, 5:24 pm

Was raised w/working mom, and idea that I was supposed to be have a job, but I wasn't able. Family (mostly mother) financed me (more or less) until after I left college, then I went on welfare because I couldn't work.
Met my husband-to-be when in my 20's, we survived hand-to-mouth on his income. Inherited family member's pension, continue receiving that small amount each month. Got divorced, went back on welfare, and finally got SSI (3rd time applying). Inherited money from other family member and repaid welfare & SSI. Current boyfriend works, so between his income & my funds we're temporarily comfortable. In the future things will be tight & I'll be poor again, so I try to enjoy the here & now.
Have chronic guilt (and worry) about not being an income generator, nor financially independent.

ryansjoy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2006, 7:00 pm

i am a working mom who is the bread winner of the house.. my hubby stays home to raise the kids.. my job is a good paying job and a company perk is a free place to live being that the company i work for owns apartment communities. so we live for free. it was very important that one of us stay home with the kids because i refused to send my child to day care. my husband and I get along wonderful and I admore him for making this change in his life. he is a struggling graphic designer with his BFA from Pratt in NYC.. but jobs are slim.. so he works free lance here and there.. so its my income that pays most of the bills...

Le8369
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Nov 2006, 3:06 pm

Considering I'm a single woman, I support myself with my job. But I'm always nervous about losing that job and what I'd do, if I did. I consider myself lucky to have the salary I do and the job I have, since it allows me to work on my own and not really have to socialize like the NT people. :D

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2006, 10:24 am

I voted that I'm partially dependent on my partner, but that's not exactly correct. My husband is a doctoral student in chemistry. He doesn't get paid much, and we live in gornment subsidized housing (townhouse apartment) where we pay very low rent. The reason I am not working is because we have a 3 year old and a 14 month old. Our 7 year old is in school all day.

I do have a B.S. in chemistry and I did work in pharmaceuticals before ds2 was born and for a short time afterwards as well. I don't LIKE to work, so I'm very happy to stay at home with the kids. lol. I plan on going back to school when dh is done (should be within the next year) and the little ones are older.

Anyway, if something were to happen to dh, I COULD be self-sufficient, and even provide for my entire family well enough, but working is very stressfull to me. I did much better when I was in analytical development and just worked at my own hood everyday than when they moved me to QC and I had to share workspace and had people asking me to do things for them all day long. Way too much stress for me to handle.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 2:26 am

I'm fully dependent on my parents at this point. I don't even have a job yet. I can't see myself moving out any time soon.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 8:07 pm

partially dependent on parents.... i

'm in college and help teach some science lab sections for a modest stipend (i'm a TA), which i predominantly support myself on.... but due to my desire to live alone and some heavy car-related payments... i do get a little help from my parents.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2006, 8:51 pm

I am fully self sufficient, have been for definite for the past 8 months nearly.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 4:42 pm

I'm totally dependent on my boyfriend, Jack (adverb on here). His mother helps out sometimes and gives him money but other than that right now we're living off his savings.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 8:58 pm

I run a business with my partner. I am financially dependant on that business.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 9:16 pm

fully dependant,DLA high rate care component-and high rate mobility component...income support
enhanced component,and severe disability component,get the residential home paid for,but have to pay towards care which costs a thousand pound per week,in debt due to council and staff neglecting care bill for a long time.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 11:42 am

I'm unemployed at the moment and living off the money I inherited from my parents so I guess that makes me fully dependant...? I do have some job prospects though so hopefully will soon be fully financially independent

mixtapebooty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2008, 11:21 am

I do not wish to work for anyone but myself, and I am not married, nor do my parents care about my financial situation. I do Sex Work to make a living.