Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ixochiyo_yohuallan
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2007, 9:47 am

KBABZ:

I'm not sure that I haven't mentioned it before, but I had to say this: what I particularly admire about your writing is the way you handle the dialogue. I could've never done it as you do. I "get" the dialogue when I'm reading someone else's book, but I can't write it myself. I don't have a natural sense of the direction in which conversational exchanges ought to go, and all my characters speak exactly alike (and it's written English, not spoken English). On the other hand, you manage it perfectly, and while reading your story I felt that these were living, natural conversations between living people.

You have some real talent. Keep the good work going. :)

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

18 May 2007, 8:03 pm

Aww, thanks i_y!!

I find that my favourite part about writing is the dialogue and conversations, which is a bit ironic considering my AS, eh? I find that it all flows naturally and that you shouldn't think too hard about what characters should say. It's almost like they're writing the scenes and I'm just recording them. Also, I think that having distinct characters also helps out.

(more stuff) I also think that I write dialogue not in a book sense, but in a real-life sense. Book dialogue, to me, seems a bit flat and uninspired, but I write in a real-life sense, or a movie sense, where everything is kept brisk and interesting, even if it's just general chatter (aka Small Talk, which I find hard to write), and that means that you've already cut off the non-essentials because all the dialogue is interesting. I also find that dialogue is the best place to throw in little gags that show character. One of my personal favourites is this:

Koise and Booger, the bestest of friends you could ever have imagined, have been separated for 5,000 years (Koise got frozen in Time and Booger was captured by the bad guy and got an immortality spell cast on him for the sake of indefinite torture). Finally, they re-unite, and the first thing Booger says is:
"What took you so long?! I finished FIVE games of Solitaire waiting for you!!"

Another is at the ABSOLUTE end of the story, when the bad guy is defeated and the celebration is over, Booger goes
"Great... now what?"

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

ixochiyo_yohuallan
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 3:31 am

KBABZ wrote:
Aww, thanks i_y!!

I find that my favourite part about writing is the dialogue and conversations, which is a bit ironic considering my AS, eh? I find that it all flows naturally and that you shouldn't think too hard about what characters should say. It's almost like they're writing the scenes and I'm just recording them. Also, I think that having distinct characters also helps out.

Yes. I also think this has got something to do with how my mind works. It's easy for me to visualize my characters - the way they look, move, interact nonverbally - but when it comes to the words they say, I'm lost. So I prefer to write stories where there is little or no conversation (only the most significant phrases that are worth being presented in direct speech), and all the characterization is done by means of internal monologue. It's about a lot more than just words and allows to portray the character's actual thinking, and, since I can be as visual as I like, it's easier. :)

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

22 May 2007, 1:06 am

When I'm conceptualizing my story, I always have shots that would work like a movie. This is handy because I want to make films about my story someday.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there