Noise in the background among other things

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Nov 2011, 11:19 am

I cannot sleep without some form of noise, but it's hard for me to talk to someone or write with the radio on, the TV on, or when someone else is talking. If you are trying to talk to me, and the TV or radio is on... prepare to repeat yourself

The internet... as much as it is a gift, it is a vice! It's hard for me to focus full time on my craft when I can get lost for hours on the internet. (is there a outernet?)

I only get sarcasm when sarcasm is obvious. Otherwise, when someone tells me a joke and I don't laugh... they tell me they were being sarcastic. I will watch two-and-a-half-men and laugh hysterically at some of the jokes... and completely not understand others...

I belong in a Japanese anime... so excuse me if some of my gestures, or the way I talk, sound like it belongs on pokemon. Or harry Potter...

I cannot stare people in the eye... so sorry if I look at your nose, mouth, neck, scan your body up and down several times, or not look at you at all while you are talking... It's nothing personal... unless you look nice...

I can be in a crowd... but I seem to shut off my hearing when I am in one that is chatting too much. I would rather not be in a crowd... but will not die if I am in one... instantly.

I am not trying to look prissy, idiotic, or mocking by the way I put my hands or walk on my toes when I walk... I just don't know where to put my hands...

Just wanted to tell you a bit about me... can anyone relate?

AQ: 36

Lilysparkle2011
Raven
Raven

14 Nov 2011, 11:32 am

I can't sleep without either my television on or music in my ears but I write stories better with music on, when people are talking not directly to me but just in conversation I tend to space out :)

Az29
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Nov 2011, 11:38 am

iceveela wrote:
I cannot sleep without some form of noise, but it's hard for me to talk to someone or write with the radio on, the TV on, or when someone else is talking. If you are trying to talk to me, and the TV or radio is on... prepare to repeat yourself

I don't have this (it's the opposite in that the slightest noise will bug me and keep me awake) also if I'm focused on something whether it's the net, TV or a book then you cannot pull me away unless you really shout at me or get in my personal space as you try to get my attention.

iceveela wrote:
The internet... as much as it is a gift, it is a vice! It's hard for me to focus full time on my craft when I can get lost for hours on the internet. (is there a outernet?)

Yes I do this, I can spend pretty much all day on the net and not really have anything to show for it as I tend to read alot and not post.

iceveela wrote:
I only get sarcasm when sarcasm is obvious. Otherwise, when someone tells me a joke and I don't laugh... they tell me they were being sarcastic. I will watch two-and-a-half-men and laugh hysterically at some of the jokes... and completely not understand others...

I don't know specifically about sarcasm but I can relate to the laughing my butt off at some things and sitting thinking WTF? at others.

iceveela wrote:
I cannot stare people in the eye... so sorry if I look at your nose, mouth, neck, scan your body up and down several times, or not look at you at all while you are talking... It's nothing personal... unless you look nice...

I do this, I can hold someone's gaze for a few seconds but then I feel so uncomfortable I have to look away, look around the room or as you say scan them.

iceveela wrote:
I can be in a crowd... but I seem to shut off my hearing when I am in one that is chatting too much. I would rather not be in a crowd... but will not die if I am in one... instantly.

I'm not aware of shutting off but I feel completely overwhelmed and like someone is compressing my head and if it's really bad it's like being in a dream, everything is kind of hazy and weird and it's hard to keep up.

Whosinabunker
Toucan
Toucan

14 Nov 2011, 12:38 pm

iceveela wrote:

I belong in a Japanese anime... so excuse me if some of my gestures, or the way I talk, sound like it belongs on pokemon. Or harry Potter...

I am not trying to look prissy, idiotic, or mocking by the way I put my hands or walk on my toes when I walk... I just don't know where to put my hands...

Just wanted to tell you a bit about me... can anyone relate?

Good lord, yes to all this, you described me beautifully. =D

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 2:56 pm

All of these you have described are common traits, aspie or human in general.

ActingUpAgain
Raven
Raven

15 Nov 2011, 12:30 pm

With the exception of "not sleeping with background noise", this is pretty much me too.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 5:06 pm

I absolutely need white noise to sleep. (usually a fan running)
And living in an apartment building is quite unpleasant for me with all the constant background noises everywhere. I's tough to get anything done some days. As I write my upstairs neighbors are going back and forth in a flurry of cleaning. oh crap!... now they are vaccuuming...aaargh! it's like knives in my skull.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 11:34 pm

I have to have music in the background all day long. On the other hand, I don't like dealing with background noise when I'm at a restaurant, trying to talk to my friends and eat.