People with autism can't feel other people's feelings.

Page 4 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 11:24 am

marshall wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
marshall wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I can actaully sense other peoples feelings.......I can feel if someone is sad, angry, mad, content ect, with my extra sensory perception or whatever you would call it. so ha. Now if I tried relying on things I don't pick up on too well like body language and facial expressions then it might be more difficult.

But yeah when I was a kid I could come home from school and when I walked into the house I could instantly tell if my parents had been arguing or not because I could sense the tension.

I can feel that way but personally I don't think it's ESP. I'm a skeptic when it comes to that kind of stuff. I'm pretty sure what I pick up on are other indicators... like noticing an unusual silence or listening to the way someone moves and feeling like it's off. I definitely notice speech patterns and tone of voice as well. But it doesn't really matter what it is, I can't tune it out because I'm always subconsciously on alert if I'm already feeling tense myself.

Well its technically probably not ESP, I just did not know what else to call it....but yeah this is a bit more then sensing unusual silence or noticing any physical signs that things are off. Its the same thing with the weather when I can sense a storm coming its like for whatever reason I am sensative to the energies around me and people also give off energy I can sense. Its quite difficult to explain but its just as real to me as all my normal senses like hearing, seeing, tasting ect.

and should I mention in that example I gave......I would walk into the house and my parents could be in the other room where I could not see them and I could still feel it so that's how I know I could not have been picking up on silence or body language.

I guess I don't really know. Not trying to shoot down your experience, it's just that as a skeptical/scientific minded person I have trouble believing stuff that doesn't have a whole lot of evidence in my opinion. I've also had intuitions of the kind before that I would have a hard time explaining though. I can't completely rule something out. It just seems more likely that there are clues based on ordinary senses or reasoning that we just aren't consciously aware of.

I know when a summer storm is coming there's often a sudden increase in humidity. That's usually the most noticeable thing before a thunderstorm. With thunderstorms there can also be a lot of rapid small fluctuations in atmospheric pressure due to a thing called gravity waves which are like ripples on a pond when you drop a rock into it. Then there are changes in the electrical charge. I think it's a possibility for humans to subconsciously pick up on any of these things without even knowing it.

Well that's ok.....it is rather weird so I usually don't worry about convincing other people about it too much, But yeah I might just be extra sensative to certain stimuli. For instance if a t.v is on but the screens black and it appears to be off I can hear that its on and most other people cannot hear that I have ran into a few other individuals who notice it to though.

Tiggurix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2011, 11:36 am

NO ONE can sense other humans emotions anyway. One can guess, or at best, ask them how they feel.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 11:38 am

Tiggurix wrote:
NO ONE can sense other humans emotions anyway. One can guess, or at best, ask them how they feel.

I will have to disagree with that, because I can sense other humans emotions.

Tiggurix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2011, 11:41 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Tiggurix wrote:

Prove it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 11:45 am

Tiggurix wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Tiggurix wrote:

Prove it.

All I can do over the internet is explain my experiances......if that does not prove it to you then that's perfectly fine with me.

But lets just say I have sensed emotions many times in my life and turned out to be right. like one example I gave earlier was when I was a kid and I could walk into the house after school and immedieatly sense anger if my parents had been arguing. this was before i would even see either of them and when I did see them I would know i was right becuase they would either go back to arguing or they would be acting like the do after they argue which would confirm it.

Tiggurix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2011, 11:53 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
All I can do over the internet is explain my experiances......if that does not prove it to you then that's perfectly fine with me.

But lets just say I have sensed emotions many times in my life and turned out to be right. like one example I gave earlier was when I was a kid and I could walk into the house after school and immedieatly sense anger if my parents had been arguing. this was before i would even see either of them and when I did see them I would know i was right becuase they would either go back to arguing or they would be acting like the do after they argue which would confirm it.

What you call sensing is what I call a calculated guess. It's not like as if I can't do it, and that's because it is an instinctive guess based on visual and auditory cues, most likely. It is still likely to be wrong, particularly when trying to decipher a person that doesn't fit your mold, e.g. people mistaking other people for being depressed when they're just intensely concentrated on their own thoughts. That's why asking is the simplest and most honest way of finding out about other people's emotions, and if they don't want to reveal them then that's their choice.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 12:12 pm

Tiggurix wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

What you call sensing is what I call a calculated guess. It's not like as if I can't do it, and that's because it is an instinctive guess based on visual and auditory cues, most likely. It is still likely to be wrong, particularly when trying to decipher a person that doesn't fit your mold, e.g. people mistaking other people for being depressed when they're just intensely concentrated on their own thoughts. That's why asking is the simplest and most honest way of finding out about other people's emotions, and if they don't want to reveal them then that's their choice.

I have made guesses before and usually a guess especially a calculated one takes some effort on my part....so I will have to disagree with it being a calculated guess. Also I am certainly a little off with that sometimes so its not totally flaw proof but its not really a guess.

I am not going to assume I know the full situation or anything until I talk to the person or they express what they are feeling, but it does help me to kinda know what to expect so I don't make the situation worse. like if I wanted to talk to my brother about something that could cause stress and I go into his room and I sense negative emotions then I wont talk to him about it I'll think of something else to say.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 2:25 pm

Tig, How do you expect someone to prove it on a messageboard?

Last edited by TheygoMew on 02 Dec 2011, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 2:33 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

S'all I got to say. :wink:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 2:44 pm

I'm curious as to if this is a female trait as our senses and intuition perhaps are heightened.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 2:48 pm

bumble wrote:
marshall wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
marshall wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I can actaully sense other peoples feelings.......I can feel if someone is sad, angry, mad, content ect, with my extra sensory perception or whatever you would call it. so ha. Now if I tried relying on things I don't pick up on too well like body language and facial expressions then it might be more difficult.

But yeah when I was a kid I could come home from school and when I walked into the house I could instantly tell if my parents had been arguing or not because I could sense the tension.

I can feel that way but personally I don't think it's ESP. I'm a skeptic when it comes to that kind of stuff. I'm pretty sure what I pick up on are other indicators... like noticing an unusual silence or listening to the way someone moves and feeling like it's off. I definitely notice speech patterns and tone of voice as well. But it doesn't really matter what it is, I can't tune it out because I'm always subconsciously on alert if I'm already feeling tense myself.

Well its technically probably not ESP, I just did not know what else to call it....but yeah this is a bit more then sensing unusual silence or noticing any physical signs that things are off. Its the same thing with the weather when I can sense a storm coming its like for whatever reason I am sensative to the energies around me and people also give off energy I can sense. Its quite difficult to explain but its just as real to me as all my normal senses like hearing, seeing, tasting ect.

and should I mention in that example I gave......I would walk into the house and my parents could be in the other room where I could not see them and I could still feel it so that's how I know I could not have been picking up on silence or body language.

I guess I don't really know. Not trying to shoot down your experience, it's just that as a skeptical/scientific minded person I have trouble believing stuff that doesn't have a whole lot of evidence in my opinion. I've also had intuitions of the kind before that I would have a hard time explaining though. I can't completely rule something out. It just seems more likely that there are clues based on ordinary senses or reasoning that we just aren't consciously aware of.

I know when a summer storm is coming there's often a sudden increase in humidity. That's usually the most noticeable thing before a thunderstorm. With thunderstorms there can also be a lot of rapid small fluctuations in atmospheric pressure due to a thing called gravity waves which are like ripples on a pond when you drop a rock into it. Then there are changes in the electrical charge. I think it's a possibility for humans to subconsciously pick up on any of these things without even knowing it.

If you don't mind my interrupting your conversation, I agree that that often times our senses are picking up on subtle clues that we are not consciously aware of. Many of our conscious thoughts have to fight for space or attention in our conscious mind.

For example, think about what you are thinking about now. What are your conscious thoughts?

During that time were you aware of how the floor feels against your feet, or how the material of your shirt feels against your skin and so on? All of this information is being processed by our brain constantly but we are not always consciously aware of it.

It could be that, at least some experiences of intuition, are the result of the subconscious mind processing information that we are not consciously aware of, putting 2 and 2 together, coming up with 4 and then finding a bit of room in your conscious mind to communicate the complete 'intuition' to you.

As for empathy and feeling other people's feelings, sometimes I think it may be genuine, however sometimes it could also be the result of the person 'imagining' how they 'think' the other person feels and generating those feelings themselves. At other times that person could be generating feelings of their own and then 'projecting' or 'transferring' those feelings on to others. This might explain what happens when people believe they are experiencing empathy but manage to get it wrong Ie misjudge what someone else is actually experiencing (which can often happen). They were not picking up on the feelings of the other, they were generating those feelings themselves and projecting them on to the other.

I hope you don't mind my joining in, but I do have a fascination with parapsychology and other areas of psychology. It is most interesting to debate, and I do enjoy a good discussion about such matters.

Ah yes projecting......I am aware of that, and in the past I have given people the benifit of the doubt even though they gave off a bad vibe, because I was concerned I was projecting and I did not want to judge someone based on me projecting my feelings onto the other person. But the last time I did that the person in question really did turn out to be quite nasty.