People with autism can't feel other people's feelings.

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Green89tom
Raven
Raven

16 Nov 2011, 12:44 pm

People with can sense other people's emotions. I think all people with autism will be better off if they can know other people feelings.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 12:52 pm

This premise is patently false.

Negolin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Nov 2011, 1:01 pm

i think it's the absolute opposite.

Green89tom
Raven
Raven

16 Nov 2011, 1:07 pm

Why am I wrong? People with autism have a hard time pick up on social cues from other people. I know that people with this disorder have social skills but there are blocked because of the wiring of the brain.

davidalan11235813
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2011, 1:12 pm

Difficulties picking up on social cues does not equate to a lack of empathy...

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

16 Nov 2011, 1:15 pm

Having a hard time and not being able to are two different things. Saying that we can't feel others' feelings is wrong.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 1:22 pm

I'm quite sensitive to other peoples feelings, but sometimes, I must admit I don't understand the reason why some people get so upset over things. That however could be because of the environment in which I was raised.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 1:28 pm

You obviously ain't AS so let me spell this out for you. I would not know if you were sad unless you told me. If I knew then I would have sympathy. Just because I don't know doest mean I don't care.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 1:31 pm

No people can feel other people's feelings. Only the other people themselves can.

You can have sympathy for someone, but you don't feel their feelings.

Or do you really think that NT grieve just as much as their friends do over missing a loved one, they don't know themselves?

Or if one of their friends get a baby, they get exactly just as happy as if they had got the baby themselves?

No.

I wish we could come away from the myth that NTs can "feel other people's feelings". It has no other purpose than make us look more disabled than we are. Noone has benefits of that.

Quixotic
Raven
Raven

16 Nov 2011, 1:34 pm

Post deleted by author.

Last edited by Quixotic on 21 Nov 2011, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 1:39 pm

but it is possible to recognise a change in the emotion of an NT just by the way they behave, however most NT's don't pick up on the change in me when I get sad.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 1:48 pm

Yes I can feel other peoples feelings. I'm also autistic, so what does that tell you?

Chickems
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Nov 2011, 1:57 pm

I can feel other peoples feelings TOO MUCH. It kills me when my friends are upset and Im never happier then the times they are. Everyone comes to me when they have problems or need someone to support them because they know I care. I have aspergers.

Stop using such a narrow version of AS. Whatever it says on the internet or in books is often plain and inaccurate. I've seen and met VERY FEW people with AS who couldn't understand or empathize with others.

Dgosling
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2011, 2:01 pm

Actually we do sense other people's emotions some of us better than others.

heck some of us can sense people's emotions better than the average NT.

We just either don't know what to do to help, get involved, or just don't care if the person feels that way.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 2:07 pm

I tend to run and hide because I don't know what to do. That might come off as uncaring, I suppose it is in a way. But emotions are really difficult things and I don't always get it.

myth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 2:08 pm

The OP seems to have a preoccupation about telling autistics what they can't do. I wonder why this is?

Green89tom, you should realize that people on the spectrum are very diverse and
you shouldn't make blanket statemens like this and several of your other threads because it's just not true. It is a common statement that autistics have troubles with empathy, that subject has been debated here at length. My theory is that no one can feel anyone else's feelings, they can only feel how they would feel in that situation. However, since most people feel similarly about most things, they therefore can feel eachother's emotions because they'd all react similiarly. Whereas an autistic, because of the neurological differences, may feel diferently in that situation so that results in them not understanding how the other person feels. It's not a matter of cues it is just a matter of how similar your brain is to the person you're trying to empathize with.

Nothing is absolute.