People with autism can't feel other people's feelings.

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

myth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 2:08 pm

The OP seems to have a preoccupation about telling autistics what they can't do. I wonder why this is?

Green89tom, you should realize that people on the spectrum are very diverse and
you shouldn't make blanket statemens like this and several of your other threads because it's just not true. It is a common statement that autistics have troubles with empathy, that subject has been debated here at length. My theory is that no one can feel anyone else's feelings, they can only feel how they would feel in that situation. However, since most people feel similarly about most things, they therefore can feel eachother's emotions because they'd all react similiarly. Whereas an autistic, because of the neurological differences, may feel diferently in that situation so that results in them not understanding how the other person feels. It's not a matter of cues it is just a matter of how similar your brain is to the person you're trying to empathize with.

Nothing is absolute.

To7m
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2011, 3:03 pm

In my experience with NTs, they have a clumsy form of empathy, where they get things wrong fairly often, but they manage a lot of it subconsciously. I've been improving my own by trial and error, and while it's very tricky and confusing, I'm quite good at sympathizing with others, although since I don't feel pain if someone else does, or similar crazy stuff, I dunno if it counts as empathy. I'm guessing most people would call it 'faking' empathy.
Autistics seem to vary a lot in their empathic/sympathetic abilities, more-so than NTs

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 4:14 pm

My husband can sense other peoples feelings. I wish I can feel them than seeing them. He can still feel them even if you don't show it. I also don't know what to do about peoples feelings either like the time my husband was upset about his mother being in the hospital. He told me he was upset and I did nothing because I didn't know what I was supposed to do so I did my own thing I always do. Plus I didn't feel what my husband felt and didn't feel I cared about if she was in the hospital or not. Rarely do I get the same feelings other people feel. I always wonder if it's like that for NTs. One NT gets stressed out, then other NTs get stressed out too even though they have no reason to be stressed out but they are feeling those feelings the person is feeling. I don't think I can imagine feeling other peoples feelings all the time because that be overwhelming I bet since I hate getting those moments and I want them to stop.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 4:21 pm

How can it be that NT's feel what others are feeling, cos they'd all be feeling the same as each other. Maybe they do.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 4:23 pm

I think that NTs are programmed to feel the same way as each other.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 4:41 pm

Green89tom wrote:
People with can sense other people's emotions. I think all people with autism will be better off if they can know other people feelings.

Sir, by your own argument, you're probably autistic. Do you not realize that by making blanket statements like that, you hurt autistic people's feelings? By making statements like this, you hurt people with autism's feelings by implying they are bad at reading other people's feelings, thus making them have the feeling of inadequacy, along with all the emotions associated with this. If you were truly good at sensing other's emotions, you would not have posted this for the reasons I just stated.

Green89tom
Raven
Raven

16 Nov 2011, 5:10 pm

I think you guys are faked being a aspies. Because you sound like don't have this disorder.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

16 Nov 2011, 5:13 pm

Green89tom wrote:
I think you guys are faked being a aspies. Because you sound like don't have this disorder.
You can hear us through your computer? WOW!

Kaelynn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2011, 5:18 pm

I'd rather not feel other peoples feelings. I will stick to my own thank you.

Green89tom
Raven
Raven

16 Nov 2011, 5:29 pm

How many aspies can keep a job.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 5:35 pm

Green89tom wrote:

Well, lets take a look at you. You come on here to post ideals of psychology textbooks on this page. you never accept debate. what do you expect to hear from making a broad textbook statement on a forum. there will be some people who don't fit that criteria, and the criteria are debatable. these are not statements set in stone. you only have to have a certain number of criteria to get an AS diagnosis. Also, I think the way you posed your question is aggressive and incites people to ague with you. I would do better research in the future. There are many discussions here about empathy. many people have commented to say that they do not show it, which is different from not having it. It is suspicious that you yourself don't disclose information about you. I think you are a doctor, journalist, or researcher of some sort trying to mess with us. If you are indeed a researcher please take time to actually read our posts to understand the content. thank you.

davidalan11235813
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2011, 5:36 pm

Green89tom wrote:

I've had the same job for 18 months.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 5:36 pm

Green89tom wrote:

how is this related? not many. there is your answer. what point does that make.

theimperiousdork
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 5:41 pm

At a Budapest zoo: PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE ANIMALS. IF YOU HAVE ANY SUITABLE FOOD, GIVE IT TO THE GUARD ON DUTY.

Oh... I am sorry. I mean, PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS.

RandomNickname
Raven
Raven

16 Nov 2011, 5:46 pm

Honestly i'm glad i have a lack of empathy. I have enough problems of my own, never mind everyone else.
Everyone should deal with their own mess.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 5:50 pm

Green89tom wrote:

16 years at the same company.

i do have trouble sensing other people's emotions. They have to be stronger emotions for me to pick them up without being told. But to say I can't feel other peoples emotions is a big overstatement.

So if a NT is so good at picking up others emotions, lets say they're around a mad person, a sad person and a happy person at the same time, what does that make the NT feel? Some sort of bipolar disorder?