Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 11:03 am

Hey!
I want to try out Trinity properly.
But I dont want to reinstall Linux (If I can help it. The only reason why is because I only have 2 DVDs left and no CD R's) on my test machine.
Can I just install the KDE 3 Trinity packages?
If I don't then like Trinity, can I switch back to KDE 4?
Soon, I will buy another HDD so I can just test things like this without getting rid of my data.

Thanks!
:D
By the way:
My Sony Vaio is now working.
I just did a nuke of the whole machine and used a non ret*d partition scheme.
Before, the way I had my VAIO partitioned was all over the place, I had like 8 pertitions all different sizes for all different purposes.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Nov 2011, 10:50 am

We've been round something like this before, I think, where you were asking about KDE 3 vs. KDE 4.
Since Trinity is a fork of KDE it will likely trample on your existing KDE installation, rather like installing KDE 3 over KDE 4 would.
So I'd tread very carefully and make sure you have all the packages required to reinstate KDE 4 before trying an installation.

Have you considered setting up a virtual machine for this sort of experimentation?
The Oracle VM should manage it Ok and it's available as part of the KUbuntu distro ("virtualbox").
Or you can grab it here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/serve ... index.html
If nothing else it gives you a sandbox you can play around in without damaging your existing installation.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 1:53 pm

I don't know how this will work on an ArchLinux/KDE system, but I tried the to install Trinity on an Ubuntu (Lucid)/Gnome system and got caught up in a dependancy hell scenario.