Films that aspies/auties appreciate differently from NTs

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

barnabear
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Nov 2011, 7:12 pm

Apart from films which specifically include aspie/autie characters, I wonder if there are any films that you have watched that you particularly liked or hated or experienced differently from NT's because of your aspie/autie characteristics (for example difficulty empathizing with the characters hence following the plot).

barnabear
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Nov 2011, 7:13 pm

For me it would be "St Helens, killer volcano". For me, this film was full of pointless characters with various personal/relationship/common sense issues that I had no interest in.

By the time the volcano finally exploded in the last few minutes of the film and killed all of them, I was very grateful that I didn't have to suffer them whining about their personal issues any more.

Apart from killing all the main characters, the volcano hardly featured in the film at all. Even so, for me it was the hero of the plot.

"Electra Glide in Blue" also didn't float my boat, couldn't understand the plot at all - seemed completely random.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 8:01 pm

Any movie that involves transferring money, hitmen, legal technicalities, warring factions, etc.

Kail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2011, 9:34 pm

The community! Abed.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 2:32 am

I think I appreciate Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland differently than most other people do. According to movie reviews I've read, most people thought the movie was "meh" at best or "awful" at worst. Based on forums I've tried to join, fellow fans of Tim Burton's work consider it to be one of his worse movies, while fans of any other version of Alice in Wonderland think it's a joke. Even people who try to defend the movie have trouble talking about its good attributes.

But personally, I saw absolutely nothing wrong with Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. I admit that it wasn't perfect, but then again, I can't think of any Tim Burton movie that was completely perfect. Not even his magnum opuses, The Nightmare Before Christmas and Edward Scissorhands, were free from errors.

But you know why I love Tim Burton's work so much? It's the characters and the atmosphere. And in those respects, Alice in Wonderland triumphs. I identified with and grew so emotionally attached to Alice that I made her my imaginary twin sister when I felt like my real sisters didn't love me anymore. I also became highly attached to the Mad Hatter, to the point where the only avatars I used on Wrong Planet were ones of him (kind of like what I'm doing now with the My Little Pony characters). My whole inner world revolved around Alice and me as sisters, close as could be, together with our best friend the Mad Hatter, and nothing could tear us apart.

Though of course, the wear and tear of time has softened my bonds with Alice and the Mad Hatter. I still love them very much and they are still my imaginary friends, but I am not completely obsessed with them anymore. I stopped referring to Alice as "my sister" when one of my real-life sisters came out to visit my family and proved how much she cares for me. I have found a new obsession to be excited over, so I don't feel the need to use pictures of the Mad Hatter anymore. But I get extremely nostalgic for the days when my Alice in Wonderland obsession was at its peak, which was during the year of its release. I wish so badly that there was a way for me to get excited about the movie all over again, but I can't. I'm hoping that Tim Burton and Johnny Depp's latest movie venture, Dark Shadows, will have the same effect on me that Alice in Wonderland did: a fun little movie that doubled as a bonding experience for me and my mom, and sparked my imagination.

ictus75
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Nov 2011, 2:52 am

I really liked Inception because that's sort of how my mind works, building worlds within worlds.

nat4200
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 8:52 pm

Redacted

Last edited by nat4200 on 19 Apr 2012, 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 7:08 am

I think people on the spectrum appreciate movies with animals better than people who aren't on the spectrum. I think in most cases movie makers seem to think it's a great way to bring out emotion from the audience to hurt/cause extreme distress to said animals -- that bugs me.

dogslife
Toucan
Toucan

24 Nov 2011, 1:44 pm

I loved the movie Airplane even more than I probably would if I was NT, because of all the jokes about people answering questions/saying things literally.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 11:22 pm

I personally can't stand any war or political conspiracy movies, which NTs seem to love. I've come to hate everything about war and politics because I see nothing but the wealthy elitist who manipulate the lower class sheep like us into killing ourselves just so that they can benefit without actually getting their hands dirty, and in every war movie I watch I see the winning side potrayed as the brave and merciful heroes fighting some great evil and with conspiracy movies I see a callous cynicism that basically teaches us that it's OK to accept corruption in our society. I can't figure out why NTs love seeing movies about these things when in reality they are very horrible and nobody wants to be a part of them in real life, especially considering the fact that films don't potray these as they happen in the real world.

That's how I feel about those kinds of movies and maybe some other Aspies will understand where I'm coming from?

BitteOrca
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2011, 4:59 am

That post about the animals thing is something I've been thinking about lately, just in an entirely different way. I watched a south park episode a couple weeks ago where they shot a whale up into space, and I could sort of put myself in the perspective of what the whale was thinking and I starting laughing so hard!! ! My friend must have thought I was crazy... :lol:

nat4200
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 3:00 pm

Redacted

Last edited by nat4200 on 19 Apr 2012, 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 7:56 pm

movies about any sort of outsider, of course, resonate especially when you know you're one but not one of the visible kinds.
still, i don't think there was a true outsider making films before Werner Herzog. (maybe David Lynch)

FW Murnau?

reasoning." --William Blake