Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Nov 2011, 10:07 am

does anyone know any good sensory things that are realy cheap?
we have very little money, can just mangege to buy food, the internet is off because my mum hasnt payed the bill ( i go on this site at the libary.) the sky tv is off because of not payed bill.
we used to buy things with my dads money i got lots of money for being disabled and my mum got money for doing things for him, he couldnt walk outside the house had to be in a wheelchair outside the house. he died in april.
we dont have much money.
my mum has applied for DLA for me but that can take a long time ive herd.
we live in england.
it would be realy helpfull if when describing sensory things, to put a picture of it next to it if that is ok.
thanks in advnce

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 11:18 am

Hello. I don't know what exactly you are looking for but Hawkins bazaar sells a lot of sensory type toys. I like things with lights and things that I can touch. I have found that a lot of these things can be affordable.

Here is the link to Hawkins Bazaar:

http://www.hawkin.com/36841-TOYS_FUN_ST ... tress-toy/

That section has a lot of squishy things.

Dae
Toucan
Toucan

22 Nov 2011, 7:22 pm

I've used material from a fabric store in the past. Two pieces I remember best were black velvet and a piece that had very soft 'hair'. Favorite fabrics can be converted into almost anything...glove liners (especially silk), scarves, toys, telephone 'grip', visual/tactile art pieces, pillowcases, car seat/sofa coverings, 'stuffies', a beach/yard towel, a makeshift (inside) 'tent' or 'throw' blanket of sorts...and with very little effort/minimal 'sewing'/'attaching' skills.

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 7:25 pm

Sounds like you're as poor as me. If you're looking for cheap fabric just for touching, you might want to try looking in the dumpster (aka rubbish bin) behind a fabric retailer or a thrift store. Free stuff right there.

SC_2010
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Nov 2011, 7:40 pm

It depends on what kind of sensory helps you.

Different types of sensory input:

Heavy-lifting: Pick up and move heavy objects from one place to another. Pulling, pushing heavy objects.

Joint compression
Wall push - arms extended, leaning towards wall, push wall for 10-20 seconds. This can be done with legs too, while sitting on the floor. You can also place palms together and push.

Roll up tight in a blanket.

Have someone squish you between 2 cushions

Self-massage, with a styrofoam roller found at sport stores or online

You can make your own playdough with a few simple ingredients

Dried beans in a big container, dig with feet and hands

It depends on what kind of sensory you seek, but those are some ideas. Hope they help!

NaomiDB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Nov 2011, 8:08 pm

well where I'm from in England It takes up to nine weeks honey but I got mine after four and I have nooo clue bout the sensory things

NaomiDB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Nov 2011, 8:10 pm

Jellybean wrote:
Hello. I don't know what exactly you are looking for but Hawkins bazaar sells a lot of sensory type toys. I like things with lights and things that I can touch. I have found that a lot of these things can be affordable.

ooh I like squishy things

Conspicuous
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Nov 2011, 1:14 am

I found a big paperclip with ridges on it. I like to flick my thumbnail up and down it. Alternatively, put some tape around your thumb and play with that for a while. If it wears out, just put more tape on; it's cheap. My most complex device is four small binder clips snapped together like they're each eating the "tail" of the one in front of it. It fits nicely in my fist with the tails between my fingers. Office supplies are great. :)

fleurdelily
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Nov 2011, 1:36 am

I play with 6mm round beads on a 15 inch string.... I like the smooth beads and there's a knot at both ends of the string, and about an inch of room for them to slide. I also like the noise they make. I keep them in my left hand at the computer and when I'm playing online games... They were cheap. (just one idea)

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Nov 2011, 5:10 am

Jellybean wrote:

thanks, does it deliver to uk? does it use the online buying of paypal? thanks.

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Nov 2011, 5:12 am

Dae wrote:
I've used material from a fabric store in the past. Two pieces I remember best were black velvet and a piece that had very soft 'hair'. Favorite fabrics can be converted into almost anything...glove liners (especially silk), scarves, toys, telephone 'grip', visual/tactile art pieces, pillowcases, car seat/sofa coverings, 'stuffies', a beach/yard towel, a makeshift (inside) 'tent' or 'throw' blanket of sorts...and with very little effort/minimal 'sewing'/'attaching' skills.

whats a throw blanket?

oh i dont like things like velvet or silk it hurts my skin to touch them.

ive wanted to go to a carpeting shop for awile thats something ive been thinking of because there is lots of diffrent carpet textures there and things.

thanks

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Nov 2011, 5:13 am

NaomiDB wrote:
well where I'm from in England It takes up to nine weeks honey but I got mine after four and I have nooo clue bout the sensory things

ok thanks anyway

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Nov 2011, 5:16 am

Conspicuous wrote:
I found a big paperclip with ridges on it. I like to flick my thumbnail up and down it. Alternatively, put some tape around your thumb and play with that for a while. If it wears out, just put more tape on; it's cheap. My most complex device is four small binder clips snapped together like they're each eating the "tail" of the one in front of it. It fits nicely in my fist with the tails between my fingers.

thanks for that advice.

Conspicuous wrote:
Office supplies are great. :)

does that mean you could make a sensory room out of office supply? :p

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Nov 2011, 5:16 am

fleurdelily wrote:
I play with 6mm round beads on a 15 inch string.... I like the smooth beads and there's a knot at both ends of the string, and about an inch of room for them to slide. I also like the noise they make. I keep them in my left hand at the computer and when I'm playing online games... They were cheap. (just one idea)

thanks

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 5:34 am

nintendofan wrote:
Jellybean wrote:

Hawkins Bazaar are based in the UK. I think their website uses paypal but I am not sure. There are actual shops as well as an online store where you can actually see/feel what you are buying. I don't know where your nearest one would be but I have one in Cambridge, one in Bedford and one in Milton Keynes all within easy reach!

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Nov 2011, 6:14 am

Jellybean wrote:
nintendofan wrote:
Jellybean wrote:

Hawkins Bazaar are based in the UK. I think their website uses paypal but I am not sure. There are actual shops as well as an online store where you can actually see/feel what you are buying. I don't know where your nearest one would be but I have one in Cambridge, one in Bedford and one in Milton Keynes all within easy reach!

hm i live in the northeast of england so im not sure if there is a shop like that here.
i will look into the website.
thanks.