Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 1:59 pm

"The space-time around Earth appears to be distorted just as general relativity predicts..."

http://tinyurl.com/3ewv4hl

reasoning." --William Blake

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 8:12 pm

graywyvern wrote:
"The space-time around Earth appears to be distorted just as general relativity predicts..."

http://tinyurl.com/3ewv4hl

Where is a vortex? We know that mass bends a light beam indicating that the space time manifold is curved by the mass. The light follows the shortest path available on the manifold.

ruveyn

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 8:51 pm

Very cool. As I understand it GPS satellites already have to have compensations built into their timing/frequency to account for time-related effects due to General Relativity. So GR is entering into the realm of practical engineering. Who'd have thought?

I do not have any deep or proper understanding of GR, but I gather the result means that inertial frames are dragged along with the Earth's rotation. I'm not sure how that would affect the path of light, though. I recall from long ago that equatorial paths around a rotating black hole could give very different results for the passage of time, depending on which way you went around.

I'm not sure, but maybe it means that there is a small gravitational force vector in the direction of the Earth's rotation. IOW, that if you approached the Earth, directly toward the center on a free-fall trajectory, that your velocity vector would begin to deviate away from the Earth's center, toward the direction of the direction of the Earth's rotation (due to the non-zero gradient of the speed of the inertial frames as you got closer).